• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed in a big way!

51 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a copy of Showcase #6 (first Challengers) on Ebay for $466. The copy was advertised in f/vf condition. Now, I've purchased enough comics on Ebay to expect grade inflation, and I always bid accordingly (the price I paid was a little less than VG book value, and I would have been happy with a book that was a nice solid VG or low Fine). But, the comic arrived and it has major restoration--not disclosed in the posting. (I didn't pay enough attention to the guy's feedback. There were some real problem transactions in there.)

First of all, I'd appreciate any general advice about this situation. I've never had a dispute of this magnitude.

Second, although I've been collecting for several decades, I've never seen a restored comic, let alone purchased one. I know it was unethical to sell the book without disclosing the restoration. But does this book have value, and if so, any idea how much. Here's a description:

It's in apparent 6.0, I'd say, with good color, some gloss, clean overall with nice white paper. The book is very flat and tight. But then there's the restoration, which includes (but probably isn't limited to) 1) two sealed tears on the front cover (1/2" and 1/4"), 2) what appears to be some kind of glue or sealer along the inside edges of the covers (more on the back cover) which seems to have been done to stabilize the edge and firm it up, 3) rebuild of the top left corner, including color touch, 4) some repair on the back cover at the top staple, and 5) some kind of minor work done on the outer corners of both the front and back corners. I'd guess the book was still a solid 4.0 without the restoration.

I don't have enough experience to say whether this is professional or amatuer job. All I can say is none of the repairs are obvious at first glance, so they're not bad quality, I guess. On the other hand, I didn't have any problem spotting any of the things listed.

This is obviously a major key--arguably one of the five most important DC silver age books. It must have some value. On the other hand, I'm mad that I got taken like this. I'm also torn as to whether this book is something I want in my collection. I don't like the thought of restoration, because there's such a stigma about it, but to tell you the truth, this is a really nice looking book and one I've always wanted to own.

Thanks for any thoughts on this one!

Advice: Check feedback before spending 400+

Sorry, had to be done, it's for your own good. On a serious note I would try to send the book back (if you don't want it) or attempt to get a price adjustment to cover the undisclosed resto. My guess is that since the guy has bad feedback anyway, trying to get a price adjustment won't work.

Did you pay with credit card? You could dispute the charge and then document that you attempted to return the item for a refund. You are likely to win this way since the credit card company looks at this kind of thing, a return, in a favorable light as opposed to telling them you never got the package etc. See having the item and offering to return it is something you can PROVE, so it makes it eaiser to get the $ back.

When you try to pry $ out of this guy make sure to mention that you're going to contact your card company and dispute the charge...it's a pain in the *spoon* to deal with and since this guy has problmes in the past he will know he is likely to lose and might give a partial refund.

Whatever you do, do it soon.

Editing this again: Listed in f/vf? Please share the name of this person so that we might avoid similar problems. I think he should give you money just for listing a book with a glued cover as f/vf Christo_pull_hair.gif

If you paid with Paypal, you can file a dispute, I'd do that first, I believe it needs to be within 30 days. I have a dispute going currently on a GA GL with restoration, OBVIOUS restoration, it just didn't show in the scan...and I wouldn't have cared ( I collect lower grade books) but he never mentioned it, just one piece of tape, not that it was pressed, sealed, and color touched and glued to the spine....

I've been buying on Ebay for years, and selling my doubles (when I can bear to part with them) and not everyone is bad at all, but there have been a lot of restored books floating around lately, now I ask before I bid on anything that is more than a few $$...

Sorry you had to go through that, that is a nice book, .but the seller obviously is a little odd...he sold a Superman 5 that someone said was restored.

I hope it works out...

If you paid with Paypal and you don't go through them BEFORE going to your credit card...you are going to have a hassle with them, they wind up getting the chargeback...you usually have 60 days to file a complaint with your credit card company and Paypal usually insists you contact them first.

Good luck!

More eBay seller love! 893censored-thumb.gif

A link to the auction would always help. thumbsup2.gif

I hope you paid with Paypal and/or a credit card so you have some hope of getting your money back.

yes, a link to the auction, so that others can fool with him for fun.

1. endless questions about the books

2. offers to buy the book for a huge sum if he will end the listing

3. random bids with no intention of paying

you know, that kind of stuff... grin.gif

Thanks for the advice so far! I've looked into the dispute process through Paypal. It looks pretty straightforward.

Here's another question though: Let's say he agrees to a refund before I go through the claim process. Do I have any means to assure that he refunds the money once he gets the book back? I'm nervous about him having both my money and his book! From his feedback, he looks kind of...ummm..."unstable."

Any advice on how to evaluate the value of a restored book, or is that just totally subjective?

It's item 150112674458. Here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

Looks like he mostly sells CGC books, but there's another restored book problem a few pages into his feedback. doh!!! foreheadslap.gif

Thanks again!

Do the process through Paypal, they take the money out of his account and hold it in a type of escrow until you prove you sent the book back (do it signature required). They will refund after you show the proof, and or it's a certain number of days. They also have a hidden 800 number, (look under help) and if you don't hear, you can ask for a supervisor, who can usually speed the process along.

Good luck...!

Just make sure you buy books that are already graded by CGC - that's what I would do, looking at a B & B 28 on eBay and thinking man there's no way it's the grade the seller says it is in, but the prices do seem seductive. Then your situation happens. In the lower grades CGC graded comics are presentable, collectible, and affordable. Why risk it?

Hey everyone, thanks for the support and words of wisdom. Believe me, I'll be more careful in the future. I'll repost here when this is resolved to let folks know how it turned out...

In the lower grades CGC graded comics are presentable, colleciable, and affordable. Why risk it?

I keep telling people this. I was able to buy early Spidey's in midgrade CGC'd cheaper than guide while Raw midgrades kept bumping and going over the ceiling. thumbsup2.gif

Okay, I filed a dispute, sent a civilized text explaining that the book has undisclosed restoration, and he neg'd me with the following text:

"A whining little Punk. Needs the money for crack and ho's so he made up a story."

Now I'm really pissed!!!!

Okay, I filed a dispute, sent a civilized text explaining that the book has undisclosed restoration, and he neg'd me with the following text:

"A whining little Punk. Needs the money for crack and ho's so he made up a story."

Now I'm really pissed!!!!

First thing you should do, is go to Live Help and report the seller. They will take off feedback that has curse words and in the wake of the Imus scandal, they are going to be very sensitive to the word "ho". I'd push that with them. I'd check that out first.

Boy, that guy is a piece of work, I'm really sorry...of course if you have not given him feedback, and you leave a normal neg, he will ask to withdraw them. ...it seems to be his method, be careful how you express yours...

Good luck!