• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigrees

19 posts in this topic

Can someone tell me where I can find information on some of the lesser known Pedigrees from the GA. I specifically am interested in information on the Twilight and Crowley Pedigree. I noticed a few people on here have books from those pedigree and I was wondering if they could shed some light on them.

Thanks

There's a great article out there on the Web somehwere that touches on about 15 of better-known pedigreed collections. I know the Crowley is included in that article... I've got a hardcopy at home, and will try to track that down and at least get you the author's name...

Welcome to the boards!

What a great read. Well worth the time. On a related note, Matt told me this:

Thanks, David! I'm actually working on a pedigree book right now that's going to be all-encompassing, everything you ever wanted to know about them. It should be finished early to mid part of next year. By San Diego at the latest.

There's another great book called the History of Comic Fandom by Bill Schelly,

detailing collecting since the early '60s. Great stuff. Check with Bud Plant for it.

Matt

I can't wait to get Matt's book and plan on getting Bill's book soon,

DAM

Are some pedigrees more valuable than others? It appears the answer is yes based on the multiple of guide some books get versus others. I assume this has to do with page quality. Are there other reasons? Am I correct in my assumptions? Has the price differential of pedigrees versus non pedigree copies changed since the advent of CGC? Many people have told me they wouldn't pay for a pedigree name. I hear a lot of conflicting stories and was wondering if anyone had some knowledge in this area? Thanks

Are some pedigrees more valuable than others?

Well, "fame" has a definite role in higher prices. The classic pedigrees (Church, White Mtn etc) have been around a long time and have really become a part of the history of collecting. Some pedigrees really command nothing or little more than their non-pedigreed counterpart, especially as newer pedigrees surface that give rise to the question "is that really a pedigree?".

Are some pedigrees more valuable than others?

Well, "fame" has a definite role in higher prices. The classic pedigrees (Church, White Mtn etc) have been around a long time and have really become a part of the history of collecting. Some pedigrees really command nothing or little more than their non-pedigreed counterpart, especially as newer pedigrees surface that give rise to the question "is that really a pedigree?".

You aren't dissing the Dallas Steven's books are you? Hmmm? shocked.gif

And one of the most selective collectors in the entire history of the hobby. (I get goosebumps just typing that) Yessss, jkrk, all pedigrees were not created equal. Some pedigrees are coveted, while others mean nothing to many people. The Church books, SF's, Chicagos, Penns, Larsons and I'm sure I forgot a few will always separate themselves from others IMHO. As far as whether the lesser pedigrees will warrant a premium is more of a personal preference. Which would be a great topic for a new thread by the way. I always wondered what others thought of certain pedigrees and how others would rank or group them as far as desirability and where they stood on the pedigree "totem pole". I'm sure there would be a lot of differing opinions when you get past the obvious first few. Anyone have the gumption to start that conversation? Rockford vs. Pennsylvania in a cage match???

Stagedoorjohnny

I haven't learned enough about pedigrees yet, but I think I know the top two pedigrees for the two major ages--for Gold it's Church first, San Francisco second, and for Silver it's Pacific Coast first and Curator second.

The X factor is that the Silver pedigrees aren't well documented yet...Curator, or another one, may actually be first.

I have (but now wouldn't) pay much more than the actual CGC market value for the Silver-Age pedigrees. So what if the have great gloss and nice pages? So do plenty of other Non-Pedigree Silver-Age books.

On the other hand, a much higher percentage of the nice Golden-Age books are from Pedigree collections. In other words, like it or not, you will most likely have to pay an additional premium if you want some of the real nice Golden-Age books from pedigree collections. Therefore, it seems that there is an additional multiple added because of the pedigree but that might be more of a "lack of supply" than actual demand for the pedigree.

And I have probably 40-50 pedigree books from 8-10 different pedigrees.

Matt Nelson's?

http://www.comicrestoration.freeservers.com/article1.htm

That might be the single most linked page on this board.

I actually found all of Matt's article about Pedigree's before I came here. I also emailed him and as stated on another post he is planning on a pedigree book to come out by next summer. Anyways, I was unable to find Crowley listed on his list. Is it not there or am I just blind as a bat? It doesn't seem like there is an abundance of information about the 2 pedigrees, but i was wondering if maybe you guys know if Crowley or Twilight copies are recognizable due to some kind of markings in the book? I know many of the GA pedigrees such as the "D" copies are given away by some type of writting in the books. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW I agree that not all pedigrees are created equal. I wuld much rather have a stunning book without any writting, then I would a book that is just as nice except someone took a pen to it.

One thing that I believe CGC changed was the multiple a pedigree would get if not in NM condition.

I was looking at a Comic Book Market Place from 1996. Showcase New England listed about 15 Mile High Copies of Catman and the prices. Guess what they didn't list? The Grades.

Now, a Mile High Book in VF or less might not get any premium.

I use to have to pay about double guide for White Mountain copies that were supposedly NM (thanks PCE) but now would be graded as VF's. Now, when I get VF's from Heritage, I don't seem to pay any premium (last few Pre-Hero Marvel's were below guide).

I think the early pedigrees that have only old GA books will continue to get nice premiums, but overtime, I see most pedigree getting only a very small premium (or none at all).