• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me

47 posts in this topic

I'm a young 22 year old comic book fan, and I'd like to one day have a decent Golden Age comic collection. The problem is, I don't know much about the best Golden Age titles. Wonder Woman, Phantom Lady, and All Star Comics are some titles I'd like to one day own.

But here is my question: Do you have any advice for a beginning Golden Age collector?

And also, what titles do you recommend? I'd like something off the beaten path, i.e. non-Superhero. Thanks a bunch! thumbsup2.gif

I think the people you should ask are Detective27kid (a Florida Gator) or Billy Parker (an LSU Tiger). Either of those SEC guys should be able to help you out. I would love to help you pick some cool Golden Age titles, but as a Texas Longhorn, I might be over-qualified. (You can't go wrong with Timelys!)

I'm a young 22 year old comic book fan, and I'd like to one day have a decent Golden Age comic collection. The problem is, I don't know much about the best Golden Age titles. Wonder Woman, Phantom Lady, and All Star Comics are some titles I'd like to one day own.

But here is my question: Do you have any advice for a beginning Golden Age collector?

And also, what titles do you recommend? I'd like something off the beaten path, i.e. non-Superhero. Thanks a bunch! thumbsup2.gif

It's all about education before you start buying. You can start buying right now to discover what you like / don't like and trade the books you've bought for ones you find out you like better BUT the downside is that if you don't buy books in demand when you first jump in, your trade-in / resale value won't be as high as you'd like. That's why I'd advise you to read as much as you can about the different series.

If I was starting today, the fastest way I'd learn about what's out there would be to read all the CGC newsletters put out by Michele Nolan. She gives an excellent overview of each title / publisher AND tells you when particular series in anthology books start and end. For example, no reason to buy a Rangers Comics past issue # 30 if you want it to have a U.S. Rangers story since that's when the strip ended. You're in luck, the CGC website has the entire history of these online or I can email you a Word document I put together pulling all of Michele's Columns in one spot. The offer is open to anyone btw.

Here's the link to the CGC Newsletters - Linky Michele's columns start with the October 2002 newsletter and "Collecting "Adventure Comics"" Have fun reading.

Also you may help us point you out into some directions by telling us why you have Wonder Woman, Phantom Lady, and All Star Comics on your mind. popcorn.gif

Is this Gerber Guide available from amazon or similar online bookstores?
The Gerbers are out of print, but you can find them on Ebay or some comic shops might have them.

They are out of print, but at one time Diamond Distributors (the folks that stock your local comic shops) bought all the remainders and made them available. Check with your local shop if you can't find them on-line. There are two volumes to the Golden Age set with an original SRP of $65 per volume. If you have trouble finding them send me a PM and I will try to track a set down for you.

Richard

You can find them on eBay of course or get them from Bud Plant who always have them available - Gerbers at Bud Plant. Be warned though that the book only contains covers and I don't think it would be helpful much in helping you determine what you like and what you'd like to collect. If anything, it would make you want to buy everything!

Be warned though that the book only contains covers and I don't think it would be helpful much in helping you determine what you like and what you'd like to collect. If anything, it would make you want to buy everything!

Absolutely the truth!

Gerbers on ebay

My advice is to read some reprints to get an idea of what you enjoy. GA DC (Archives), Timely (Masterworks), and MLJ (www.goldcomics.com) are all easily available. There are also lots of Indy reprints of things like Phantom Lady, Pre-Code Horror and Romance. Titles I like that are a bit off the beaten path include Capt.Marvel, Airboy, any Simon and Kirby books (Young Love and Young Romance, Boys Ranch, Fighting American, etc, etc.). And of course, Archie is awesome cloud9.gif

There is lots of cheap low grade GA stuff on ebay--I would start there.

As for why I chose those titles: I'm a huge Wonder Woman fan, Greg Rucka made me fall in love with the character. I want the Phantom Lady issues because the art is great and some were referenced in Seduction of the Innocent.

As for All Star Comics, it's the JSA! I really, really want a copy of #13 and #14.

The Gerber guide is THE best place to start. There are excellent articles in the front and unbelievable color images of 22,000 comics.

web page

Other ideas:

Troll the Heritage website and comic link to see books you might like and to learn what they sell for. Ditto for Metropolis's comics featured items. If you want books about comics I'd suggest Ron Goulart, Greg Theakston and Mike Benton -- do ebay searches or check at shows for various books they've written. For magazines, buy old issues of Comic Book Marketplace.

Surf the boards -- there's a wealth of information like the link below.

Month in the Life of Comics

Gerbers on ebay

My advice is to read some reprints to get an idea of what you enjoy. GA DC (Archives), Timely (Masterworks), and MLJ (www.goldcomics.com) are all easily available. There are also lots of Indy reprints of things like Phantom Lady, Pre-Code Horror and Romance. Titles I like that are a bit off the beaten path include Capt.Marvel, Airboy, any Simon and Kirby books (Young Love and Young Romance, Boys Ranch, Fighting American, etc, etc.). And of course, Archie is awesome cloud9.gif

Bud Plant is cheaper poke2.gif

Listen to 143, AT. His advice is best. Check out Goldenagecomics for other online sneak peaks (sp?) and sampling of GA stories and art.

Gerbers on ebay

Bud Plant is cheaper poke2.gif

blush.gif

I knew they had them for sale there but assumed they were the same price.

As for why I chose those titles: I'm a huge Wonder Woman fan, Greg Rucka made me fall in love with the character. I want the Phantom Lady issues because the art is great and some were referenced in Seduction of the Innocent.

As for All Star Comics, it's the JSA! I really, really want a copy of #13 and #14.

Hey AuburnTiger,

Yah, I'd get the GA Gerber Photo Journals. They are filled with 1,000s of color photos you can study and see which covers appeal to you. I bought my set 11 years ago when I was getting into GA...it's a good reference source. They weigh 7 lbs. each so don't drop them on yer foot. grin.gif

Go Bo Jackson.

-Prime

I like this thread. thumbsup2.gif

By the way, you don't want to buy Nedor Schomburg war covers. They're a total waste of money, full of shameless propoganda, and certain to cause delinquency in juveniles.

Listen to Richie. Buy Timelys!

I like this thread. thumbsup2.gif

A much more civil thread then where you have been recently!

If you're into Good Girl Art covers like Phantom Lady, then perhaps you can start with cheaper titles like Jungle Comics and Jumbo Comics first. You could get VG to FN copies for less than 50 bucks each.