• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Flash 1 restored how much would you pay?

13 posts in this topic

If someone offered you a nice looking copy of All Flash # 1 that was restored, how much would you pay? The book is graded Fine - (5.5) by CGC with Moderate Restoration (A) to include color touch, piece added, tear seals, reinforced, re-glossed (top edge trimmed). Off-White to white pages.

Opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

hello all...

I concur, the consensus is under $1k if nice appearance

:edit:...I missed the trimmed part...I love to buy restored books, but never buy trimmed...adding something to a book is fine with me, to increase its appearance, but I don't like taking part of the book away...

gator

If someone offered you a nice looking copy of All Flash # 1 that was restored, how much would you pay? The book is graded Fine - (5.5) by CGC with Moderate Restoration (A) to include color touch, piece added, tear seals, reinforced, re-glossed (top edge trimmed). Off-White to white pages.

Antonio, I just read the description again and saw the trimmed notation....don't buy it unless it's under 400.00, trimming is the kiss of death. Save up and buy a decent unrestored. I know you might think now that you will keep your books forever, but if you ever need to sell, it's hard to dump a trimmed book. I have a friend who would disagree with me, but that's because he invested in a lot of restored books and wants to legitimise them in the marketplace. Be careful how much you spend on a restored book.

Antonio, I just read the description again and saw the trimmed notation....don't buy it unless it's under 400.00, trimming is the kiss of death. Save up and buy a decent unrestored. I know you might think now that you will keep your books forever, but if you ever need to sell, it's hard to dump a trimmed book. I have a friend who would disagree with me, but that's because he invested in a lot of restored books and want's to legitimise them in the marketplace. Be careful how much you spend on a restored book.

I completely agree with BH on the trimming issue. Trimming and brittle pages are very hard to sell, and should be avoided in most cases.

As far as "legitimizing" restored books........I think that the fact that restored copies of Action 1 and Detective 27 sold for a combined total of more than $100,000 this week at Heritage sounds pretty legitimate to me.

If you prefer not to collect restored books, great, then don't. But bashing them because you don't like them is unfair to those of us who do collect both restored and unrestored books.

I have plenty of both in my collection. And love each and every one of them.

I do think that Action 1 and Detective 27 and maybe a few others are in a league of their own as far as restoration goes and the prices they command, but I think it's important for a collector who's starting out to be aware of the pros and cons of the restored vs unrestored issue. People feel strongly about this and a lot of people are quite happy collecting a mix of restored and unrestored. It's a personal choice and as long as the price is right, I'll even buy restored occasionally, but carefully, very carefully.

I do think that Action 1 and Detective 27 and maybe a few others are in a league of their own as far as restoration goes and the prices they command, but I think it's important for a collector who's starting out to be aware of the pros and cons of the restored vs unrestored issue. People feel strongly about this and a lot of people are quite happy collecting a mix of restored and unrestored. It's a personal choice and as long as the price is right, I'll even buy restored occasionally, but carefully, very carefully.

We are in agreement on that. Buying a restored Action 36, for example, is probably not a good investment. Buying big golden age keys that are restored, for the right price, on the other hand can be a very good investment.

Thanks for the opinions everyone- I really appreciate it. It does look like a nice copy from the scan I received. But, I should really get a copy of a scan in a large size to check out the trimming. The offer was reduced to $1,000.

We are in agreement on that. Buying a restored Action 36, for example, is probably not a good investment. Buying big golden age keys that are restored, for the right price, on the other hand can be a very good investment.

Agreed.

That said, however, a reestored Action 36 is going to be a much better long term investment than, say, an unrestored "Death of Captain America slabbed 9.8.

(brand new 9,8s are the true "toilet paper" of tomorrow)