• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coverless ASM #2

12 posts in this topic

Okay, a friend of mine (ha! ha! No, really!) bought a copy of ASM #2 that was without its cover for $65. He asked me my opinion whether this was or was not a good deal, and I'm thinking he got hosed by someone looking to make a quick buck.

Now, I could be TOTALLY wrong here. Its just been experience from some of my LCSs that coverless comics do not sell for more than a couple dollars rarely seeing anything past the $10 mark. I personally will not buy a comic w/o a cover- that's an essential part of it for me. So I didn't sound like a total jerk, I told him that while I thought it was a little high a price, I wasn't sure. He's really new to hobby (also having taken a long sabbatical from collecting) and is still re-learning the ropes.

So, am I totally wrong here? Do you have some good news I can bring him to feel better over this purchase of his? confused.gif Or, did he just have his first expensive lesson on fair trading and knowing how to grade?

Coverless is still collectible. I had an issue 2 with a missing page and was able to find a beat to heck issue for about $80 and then later sold it for $100 without the page.

Two things: Is it complete and is it in pretty decent shape? If the pages are white I could see someone needing the centerfold or the 1 page Marvel pinup just for parts. Or its a pretty decent read. If its a ratty coverless with tape on it, then I'd guess $25 for it.

Ed

Well, he's coming to visit and will be bringing all of his stuff so I can help 1. show him some of the basics of grading and 2. grade his stuff. From what I heard, the pages are creamy to tan, all corners blunted to some extent, a few 1/4" tears along the edges, and some stress signs near the staples.

And to be fair, I totally fessed up to him that there are just some defects that bother some collectors more than others- missing covers being my #1 problem (more than a page missing on the inside!). Hopefully, when I take a look at it, it won't be in too bad of shape. It just kills me b/c I had just told him my LCS has a TON of the first ASMs in FR/GD but fully intact for about $100 a piece. Oh well. smile.gif

Thank for the thoughts!

Condition is still a major factor even with a coverless book - a ratty, tan coverless copy will have less value than a decent OW one. Coverless GA can go for a pretty high percentage of 2.0 value if they aren't otherwise thrashed. Some people are content with a photocopy of the cover if they can't find the real thing.

As for the ASM #2 - I wouldn't know what the FMV is - but for books is worth over $100 in 2.0 - the day when you could pick up a coverless copy for $10 is pretty much gone.

The pct. recently discussed on the GA board was 25% minimum and that puts the value of this ASM 2 over $75! It's ASM 2! smile.gif

He did fine. There are so many passionate fans that have been priced out of the market and they will take a coverless to save $250 or more. It's the only way they can own one.

The pct. recently discussed on the GA board was 25% minimum and that puts the value of this ASM 2 over $75! It's ASM 2! smile.gif

He did fine. There are so many passionate fans that have been priced out of the market and they will take a coverless to save $250 or more. It's the only way they can own one.

Would a SA book be in the same league as the GA books though?

Well, again, the feedback is appreciated. I was just concerned since he went to a show with about $500 in hand, wide-eyed, and not really sure the difference between a GD and a FN. And I guess since I'm responsible for getting him back into the hobby I felt sort bad.