• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Fantastic Four!

15 posts in this topic

An 8.5 copy of FF #1 sold on ebay in late 2000 for about $14,500; that's the nicest I've seen on ebay. Also, a 7.5 copy with label note "'Jack Kirby' written on first page" was up a few months ago that showed up weeks later on Storms' site after it didn't meet reserve on ebay; that one was a bit nicer than this one.

Sully listed this one last year 3 or 4 times with no buyers, but this is the first time I can remember him listing it without a reserve.

Who needs a reserve when your BIN is less than 10% over your opening bid!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

Unfortunately, I was hoping to see a nice looking VF copy as advertised in the item title and at the top of the item description, but that's all a little deceptive as the book is actually VF-. I hate it when sellers do this! mad.gif893naughty-thumb.gifmad.gif

Unfortunately, I was hoping to see a nice looking VF copy as advertised in the item title and at the top of the item description, but that's all a little deceptive as the book is actually VF-. I hate it when sellers do this!

Bothers me too.

If I was a real jerk, I would use a phony eBay ID, hit the BIN and then leave a negative when I say that the Title said VF. Of course, I wouldn't do this, but maybe that would make sellers stop this tactic (nah)!

Also hate when they don't put a ® = restoration or (Q) = Qualified.

Kind of misleading!!!!!

The reason you see this auction without a reserve and several other auctions with high starting bids is because ebay changed their policy in regards to reserves earlier this year.

It used to be if your auction had a reserve, ebay charged you $1.00 in addition to your regular listing fee. If your reserve was met, the $1.00 fee was refunded. Now they charge 50 cents up to $24.99 and $1.00 from $25 to $99.99. If your reserve is over $100, they charge you 1% of the amount. They still refund the reserve fee if it's met. But this means if you put an $8000 reserve on a book and it's not met, then you still have to fork over $80 plus the listing fee to ebay.

This is obviously just another way for ebay to grab as much money from you as possible. As if they weren't making enough gobs of money already, I guess they were tired of dealers putting high reserves on their auctions and then selling the item to the high bidder off ebay. This way the dealer didn't have to pay the Final Value fee. Now ebay is basically telling the dealers to go ahead and put a rediculous reserve on your auctions, but whether the item sells or not, they're going to get their cut.

I guess they were tired of dealers putting high reserves on their auctions and then selling the item to the high bidder off ebay. This way the dealer didn't have to pay the Final Value fee. Now ebay is basically telling the dealers to go ahead and put a rediculous reserve on your auctions, but whether the item sells or not, they're going to get their cut.

That's one definite reason for the new reserve fees, as it was becoming a popular business plan to just run outlandishly high reserve auctions, and then sell to the bidder who effectively "decided the market price". These were auctions you could never win, and you can bet the EBay analysts were looking closely at these.

There are also people who used to list a high-grade comic at an insane reserve, just to determine what the book was worth on the open market. They had no intention of selling, and were abusing the EBay system bigtime.

I have no affinity for EBay or their tactics, but I think this is really a case of a new rule coming into play, due to the rampant abuse of the previous system. If everyone had played by the rules, I doubt EBay would have changed anything.

I am not sure that Ebay was punishing sellers who abused the system. I always used a reserve auction because I had a set price that I wanted for the book. Ebay is using the same tactic as a buyback fee which essentially says that if set your reserve too high you pay for it. Now, for a auction house there is the cost of a catalog, marketing your item, etc. Also the auction house has input into you setting the reserve, Ebay does not. Ebay is already charging me a listing fee, they will charge additional fees for placement, and finally a percentage of the selling price. Only if I set my reserve low or run a no reserve auction can I avoid this gouge which is refunded if I sell the item. The bottom line to this new gouge is to have faith in their ability to sell the item, which lately does not give me comfort that I will get the price I am looking for. Remember, they used to get a set fee for a reserve and quite frankly I listed more books in the past. Now I run auctions with my "reserve" or price listed and that style of auction SUCKS. Thus when ebay asks why I don't list more items with them I tell them - Your reserve fee structure sucks, go back to a set cost and I will list more items.

I never put anything on eBay I won't get rid of for the starting price -- 99 cents or $1.50 -- because as a buyer I hate reserves. There's nothing more annoying than bidding three times and still not meeting a reserve. I don't watch that auction and don't go back to check.

I've never quite understood the rationale of a seller using a reserve on eBay anyway. It makes zero sense to me. If you know the minimum you want for a book why not just start the auction out there instead of jerking around potential buyers?

There's been quite a few beautiful CGCed FF1s on Ebay over the past several years.

A CGC 9.2 Blue (1961 written in pen under the #1)... Failed to meet the opener at $36,000. Offered by Water-Walker.

A CGC 8.5 Blue... Won by Metropolis from Jimmy Ivon for approx. $14,500

Several CGC 8.0 Blue copies

A CGC 8.5 or 9.0 PURPLE... with the notation "staples replaced" (that was it. No cleaning or pressing, just the staple notation) that failed to meet an opener of $5000!!

Still, far less available CGC high grades (VF and better) than Spiderman 1s or AF15s in similar grades.