• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best deal you ever got on a great GA book ?

62 posts in this topic

......Once in a while all the stars line up in the sky just right, your horoscope says it's your luck day, and you come across that "too good to be true" deal that really is true, and you wish you could just do it over and over and over again! cloud9.gif

This thread is dedicated to hearing those stories ( and seeing some pics would be nice, too )

One of mine happened just last night, and was the inspiration for this thread.

My favorite Pre-Golden Age ( that's kinda Golden Age-ish ) comic books by far are the 3 HUMOR books from 1933 that were the inspiration for 'The Superman' to convert to a comic book superhero from his his evil fanzine debut. The three issues are pictured on page 382 of the new OPG. Each copy exists in numbers of 8 or less ( est.) with the rarest being Bob Scully --- est.on this book is 3-4 copies.

Any of the 3 books are IMPOSSIBLE to find, and when a copy does surface every few years or so, the average price even in low grade is about $5,000 - $7,000

(last year a Good+ Detective Dan sold for $7,500 gossip.gif)

This link is for an Ebay auction that ended last night.....the category for the listing (key to the outcome) was "circus/carnival programs and posters" devil.gif:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230123914777

Thank you all for your Congrats and pat on the back! I really wanted to hear from you guys as well; I was just getting the ball rolling........any stories of an "attic find", garage sale find, dealer going out of business pick-up or freaky auction results like this one? popcorn.gif

Wow, Karmic payback for taking the disapointing OO sale with so much class, I guess.

In 20+ years of collecting I have no stories that are even close to in this league. When I saw the title I thought I had a deal or two to post about, but they would seem silly now!

I got a 2 for 1 deal at McDonalds on some applie pies that tasted like a GA book...does that count?

How would you know what a GA book tastes like? ......I thought it was called "rat chew", not "Rick chew" poke2.gif

I got a 2 for 1 deal at McDonalds on some applie pies that tasted like a GA book...does that count?

How would you know what a GA book tastes like? ......I thought it was called "rat chew", not "Rick chew" poke2.gif

well, when the cupboard is bare.....

I would have waited until it was in hand first, especially if the seller trolls the boards but oops

with the rarest being Bob Scully --- est.on this book is 3-4 copies.
Great snag. Although I would think this brings the rarity into question. There must be easily 5 copies... laugh.gif

Best I ever did was when I emailed a guy on eBay about some mid-run Police comics in maybe VG/F. I offered a price which he took to end the auction early on the whole lot. Then he called me on the phone to offer me some other books (he got my phone number from eBay! 893whatthe.gif ).

After talking it turned out these books inlcluded a Good copy of AF #15 and a Fair FF#1 among others. I asked how much he wanted since I figured I couldn't afford a decent price that would be fair to him but knew someone that might. He said, "Now hold on. You don't know how much I'm asking." I said, "Okay, how much?" He replied, "Three." "Yeah, y'see, I don't have three thousand to spare," I answered figuring we were done. Except he came back with: "Thousand? Who said that? I want three hundred."

The deal was done twenty minutes later and included all told nearly 30 books with random stuff like a VG Jimmy Wakely #6 and Star-Spangled #50 in Good+.

I will never see another deal like this one. I even told the guy his books were worth more and asked if he wanted me to broker a sale for him. He said, no, you're a collector and I want these to go to someone who will appreciate them.

I will never see another deal like this one. I even told the guy his books were worth more and asked if he wanted me to broker a sale for him. He said, no, you're a collector and I want these to go to someone who will appreciate them.

893applaud-thumb.gif

I have no dramatic story. I did get some early SA Flash from a used bookstore dirt cheap in the 1980's. But, who want G/VG Flash anyway.

Congratulations Steve! 893applaud-thumb.gif

It would be hard to beat that story. hail.gif

The best deal I ever got was a FC #178 First App. of Uncle Scrooge for $175 in at least VF condition with white pages and a spine so tight, I only dared to open the book about 1/3 of the way. It was not listed in the comics section. Unfortunately, I needed the cash and sold it for $515 I wish I could have kept it.