• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best deal you ever got on a great GA book ?

62 posts in this topic

I would have waited until it was in hand first,

No doubt - cause I just sent the seller an email and offered him $500 not to ship to you.

poke2.gif

Just kidding of course - but that kind of stuff does happen, so tread carefully.

And yes - Congrats!!!!

Definitely righting things on the big Karma wheel for the OO.

It isn't Golden Age, but Tales of Suspense 39 in Fine to Fine plus for a quarter at a yard sale isn't bad. thumbsup2.gif

Yes, it is.

It wasn't me! sumo.gif

Well, here's my best deal: Amazing Fantasy 15 for 15 cents!

Right when ebay started in the 90s I would buy comic collections (and back then they were really grandpa's collection they found in the attic.) One collection was described as "Dozens of old Thor plus misc. old comics." I paid 15 cents a comic for about 100 books and included in the lot were AF 15, ASM 3, Hulk 6 and a FF 48 (coverless.)

I don't think I'm going to get a surprise like that again!

I bought a Batman 36 off a CBG ad for $250. Ended up being ~ 9.4. In the late 1980s I bought a Golden-Age collection out of CO that had Batman 50, etc. for GD guide (most issues in fine or better) Owner had the guide and just used the good price to make it easy. Picked up a small funny animal collection that had Superman 100 and Batman 93 and 94 in about fine for $20.

oops, it the gold section, so i'll take out the tmnt.

back in 87' a guy walked into my LCS with about 100 gold books. i noticed a bunch of timelys that had been folded over, bent, etc. my shop's owner didnt want to deal with them, since a majority of the world's finest books were flat and solid looking. so, he said i could buy the bent books for 5 bucks a piece. they included a subby 2, and a few caps. i placed the comics under heavy books for a month or so and viola i had some solid vg issues. unfortunately, i remember selling the subby to harley yee for extra money to spend at the chicago con.

once, i picked up an all star 11 that looked vf with the exception of a 1 inch piece torn out of the tlfc. i also sold that book to harley. what can i say, he used to pay the best. wink.gif

1785935-turtles1.jpg.2403409e17f454321f523cf66ce934e3.jpg

From the "Best Buys of 2006" thread (December, 2006):

Enh. Just off of the top of the pile. A quarter at a yard sale

spidey300.jpg

Fifty cents at another one:

action252.jpg

I don't think I have ever bought a really amazing deal! I have always found yard sales where the sellar thinks his 10.00 comics are worth 15.00, flee market dealers who think since the comic is 50 yrs old its automatically worth 100.00 even though its missing half the pages. I have been collecting a long time off and on, and never have found a deal better than maybe 1/2 of guide and guide wasn't much. I am still hopefull, but as of this point my ebay auctions sell less than I paid, and my purchases continually break new sales records.

Someday, Someday......I go to bed dreaming of the big find, the coo-degra of my collecting journey, but not yet, not yet!

I have however found some really good deals at fair prices from good honest sellers, which is nice, but just once I would love to find a stack of key marvels at a yard sale for 10 bucks or a needed Golden age Cap for .50 in a stack of magazines at an estate sale.

Its nice to see that others do find gold, maybe my day is coming.

Paul 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Mad 1-20 in vg/f for $1 each.

Sheeeeesh, talk about paying tomorrow's prices today!

Hate to break the news to you Sean, but those Mad issues you bought sell for 10 cents each.....it says so right on the cover tongue.gif

Steve

My net for comic trolling extends into Southern Michigan\Northwest Ohio\Northern Indiana.

Back in March I found an eBay listing 50 miles down the road for a beat up Batman #8 that had in the item description:

"I will try to answer all questions as i am selling comics for a friend and have many more to list includeing a superman #1 in poor condition."

The reserve for the Batman #8 was $500. Hence, it did not sell. However, I did meet the seller and purchased the Superman #1.

superman1.jpg

Although it looks great framed above my computer desk, I will probably sell it soon.

Someone bought a lot on eBay the other night that I just missed. I think it went for $35.00 and had an All Winners 1 in it! Did anyone else see that one?

foreheadslap.gif $35. blush.gif

I was stunned! I saw it right at the top of the latest listings, it said something like "Lot of vintage comics" or something like that. BIN for $35. I clicked on it and it had just been BIN'ed. In the picture was a Detective in the 40's I believe and an All Winners 1 with a major spine roll. It made me think the CF might be out, but for $35 who cares? confused-smiley-013.gif