• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - More Fun 114

19 posts in this topic

is that a water stain on bc top of spine?

It is some sort of small "stain" or discoloration. From my recollections of handling the book I do not believe it was a "water" stain. It did not, to the best of my knowledge, penetrate the book itself.

I'm thinking it might be a strict 7.5 too, only because of that stain and on the principle that even a nice book with that flaw would have trouble reaching VF...without it I'd guess 9.0. Maybe the stain is less noticeable in hand.

Mark, is there a color rub to the left of the first word balloon, or is that a trick of the scan?

Wow, some of you guys are tough on this stain. Frankly, it is far more noticeable in the scan than in real life. I will need to check the OS Grading guide to see how much impact such a stain usually plays in the downgrade. Anyone have it handy?

I posted this book because it is one of the few times I have really disagreed with CGC. Grading is subjective, as the above posts reveal, and I always allow for at least my being one grade off from CGC as it is usually within the parameters of human subjectivity, i.e., I say 8.0 CGC says 7.5 or 8.5.

I purchased this More Fun from a dealer at the NYC show in February. I don't recall his name offhand but it was a major dealer from OH I believe and in speaking with other dealers during the show it was clear they respected him. His grades were fair, as were his prices. He had this as a 9.4. Personally, I thought that was a tad of a stretch but that it was likely a 9.2, and at worst a 9.0.

CGC graded it an 8.5.

I plan to call for the grader's notes and I certainly hope there is some explanation to justify their grade. If not, I will likely challenge the grade.

Thanks for everyone who chimed in.

As ever, there's no substitute for having the book in hand...grading from scans is tricky with high-grade books, where a subtle flaw like that can knock the grade down several notches.

Sorry that you were disappointed in the grade....I feel your pain. In any case, it is a beautiful book!

I have sent a few Golden Age Comics in the last few months and I have been upset on some of the grades!! It almost seems like CGC is grading Golden Age comics as if they were modern age comic books!!

Anyways, More Fun #114 looks great!! It should have been higher!!

Took a closer look.

I see the stain you were talking about, I didn't read the post about it thoroughly and was wondering if there was some sort of discoloration at the top of the BC just above the left hand corner of the second panel. There also seems to be a diagonal dent in the front cover just below the bed. If you combine the stain and the dent with the staple creases ( the top one is fairly noticeable), along with the slight corner wear - 8.5 seems a reasonable grade.