• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Pressing Project ( follow up to Joeypost's project )

178 posts in this topic

Ok.. The reason for this posting was to show a book in relatively higher grade and then to do the best I could to spotlight the minor flaws compared to taking a lower grade book and doing the same thing. This was done with more conventional methods.

Before #1

S5020229.jpg

After #1

After1.jpg

Before #2

S5020230.jpg

After #2

After2.jpg

Before #3

S5020231.jpg

After #3

After3.jpg

Before #4

S5020233.jpg

After #4

After4.jpg

Before #5

S5020234.jpg

After #5

After5.jpg

EXCELLENT before and after. 893applaud-thumb.gif

This is exactly the point I was trying to illustrate in the other thread.

It would have been interesting to see CGC's grade of the book before and after.

All I see that was accomplished was taking a GS comic with spine waviness, a very common attribute of the line, and manipulating it into an obviously pressed comic...

I'll take the "wavy" comic every time...

Jim

That was a pretty nice job!

As far as "looking pressed"... I dunno confused-smiley-013.gif

It looks like most of my squarebounds that have been pressed against each other in boxes for many years.

As far as I'm concerned, that was a nice job Paul thumbsup2.gif

Before #2

S5020230.jpg

After #2

After2.jpg

Hey Paul, interesting read. Nicely presented, and it looks like you got some good results too.

I was curious about the top of the book though. It appears that there is a hard line indentation about a 1/2" in from the spine right about the pinted add area. Like it almost drops off right at the dotted line. The before photo seems to show siugns of this as well

Is that correct?

Ze-

Hey Kenny.. good eye !!! Someone before I owned the book decided they wanted to start in on clipping the coupon ... they stopped... confused-smiley-013.gif

The reason I choose a book like this was to illustrate the ability of pressing because a regular book wouldn't show it as well if in higher grade. This was a good candidate to show the results.

I also want to add that this was only a quick prilimenary stage of pressing.. given the full process I would do afterwards... it would certainly clean up a bit more.

Why didn't you do a complete pressing? What are you trying to illustrate if it's not the finished product because, frankly, all this proved was that the pressing done here is immediately identifiable... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Great job!

As far as the "obvious press" goes; I'd like to know how you'd be able to tell! I know we are only looking at pictures here, but how on earth would we be able to tell that it was a "professional" press without seeing the before pics?

Question: When doing a square bound, do you leave the actual edge of the book outside of the pressed area? I was sure that it would "crush" the spine. confused-smiley-013.gif Was a conventional press used? Or was most of the work done with a tacking iron? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Again, good job! Too bad about the "cut"!

John thumbsup2.gif

I also want to add that this was only a quick prilimenary stage of pressing.. given the full process I would do afterwards... it would certainly clean up a bit more.

Why didn't you do a complete pressing? What are you trying to illustrate if it's not the finished product because, frankly, all this proved was that the pressing done here is immediately identifiable... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

27_laughing.gif ......... yeahok.gif no it's not...

and I actually mean that with all due respect...

There is no way to know 100% for sure if the book was under a stack or a press was used.. plain and simple... ( obviously I pressed it...) so all Sherlocks need not apply to say they can totally tell it's pressed...

Jim .. if I posted only an after picture as a for sale book.. no one would've said boo if they didn't know my open stance on the subject.

I did the first stage ( as I do it ) just to show how quickly it can be done...

If the differences aren't noticable to you from the before and after then I'm sorry my demonstration was lost on you... I notice many people can see the difference.

Jim

27_laughing.gif ......... yeahok.gif no it's not...

Yeah...OK...You keep telling yourself that... yeahok.gif

Jim

What exactly are these pressing projects out to prove?

I don't think there is much dispute that (1) pressing is very difficult to detect, (2) that various methods can be performed by both "amateurs" and "professionals" and (3) pressing can restore a book to a higher grade by removing certain defects.

And .... so we do these "projects" to demonstrate what exactly? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey Mark,

And .... so we do these "projects" to demonstrate what exactly?
my point, that maybe comes off as indirect, is to show that it's that simple...and people should realize that anyone with a little effort and practice can do it too on many levels..hence driving the point that it's been around for a long time and everyone has probably unknowingly owned or owns a pressed book.

Sorta like saying... talk is talk.. but put your money where your mouth is and show us... so I decided to throw out some before and after pics

well.. I've only been tinkering for less then 2 months and studied the experiments hard and have been able to progress further each time...

Hey Mark,

my point, that maybe comes off as indirect, is to show that it's that simple...and people should realize that anyone with a little effort and practice can do it too on many levels..hence driving the point that it's been around for a long time and everyone has probably unknowingly owned or owns a pressed book.

Sorta like saying... talk is talk.. but put your money where your mouth is and show us... so I decided to throw out some before and after pics

well.. I've only been tinkering for less then 2 months and studied the experiments hard and have been able to progress further each time...

I started my post for the same reason and wanted to also stress that pressng is not that difficult and is not only happening to ultra high grade books. It morphed into a little more than anticipated.

Hey Mark,

I started my post for the same reason and wanted to also stress that pressng is not that difficult and is not only happening to ultra high grade books. It morphed into a little more than anticipated.

you can say that again.

Hey Mark,

I don't dispute anything you state above (and I doubt many people would), just not really clear what the true purpose is, especially since there seems to be multiple threads of just this type.

Just because people can likely easily achieve a successful press of a book, or that we all likely have pressed books in our collection, does that mean it should be more accepted? Practiced by all?

If that is the goal, that's fine. Just would be nice if people actually said that so we understood the reason for the public experiment.

Personally, I don't want to practice it. But that's me. Others clearly differ. And I know where you stand on disclosure and that is what truly matters. thumbsup2.gifhi.gif

Hey Mark,

you can say that again.