• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Pressing Project ( follow up to Joeypost's project )

178 posts in this topic

Okay a little different example at you.

You have 2 books almost identical. One has a small bend (NCB) in it.

Do you put them both in mylars with fullbacks (or whatever way you store them) and put them upright in your box and forget them.

or

Don you take the one with a small bend in it and put a couple of heavy items over it in hopes of straightening out that bend?

Option 1. A small NCB bend doesn't bother me in the least - I love comics. cloud9.gif

Okay a little different example at you.

You have 2 books almost identical. One has a small bend (NCB) in it.

Do you put them both in mylars with fullbacks (or whatever way you store them) and put them upright in your box and forget them.

or

Don you take the one with a small bend in it and put a couple of heavy items over it in hopes of straightening out that bend?

Option 1. A small NCB bend doesn't bother me in the least - I love comics. cloud9.gif

thumbsup2.gif

I personally have never seen before and after pics so yes to me it was sort of entertaining.
Not picking on you, but I can't believe you missed this thread. IT was all the rage back then. The Results of the Experiment with multiple forum members. Perhaps you'll recall October's paper clipped Wonder Woman. gossip.gif

I could probably find other examples that have occurred in the past. confused-smiley-013.gif

But if arguing is what's called for then by all means flamed.gif

I have stacks of raw books in mylars one on top of another sitting on shelves in my basement, do you consider this a form of unwilling pressing?

No..I consider it a storage technique.

Honestly can't believe you just went there....

Extreme example. Let's stick with a NM- book with a small NCB crease. You're suggesting that removing that NCB makes the book better. I disagree. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pressing a NM- book with a NCB into a NM book is an "extreme example"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is a NM book better than a NM- book? Yes, it is, which is why the pressed book is now "better". If your measure of "better" includes the book not being pressed, then yeah, the lower graded NM- is better, but if your definition of better corresponds to Overstreet's, CGC's, and anyone else looking at the book in front of them, then no, the NM- copy with a NCB is not better than the same book with the NCB pressed out. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sorry Mica, totally missed that thread flowerred.gif

and certainly not trying to argue with anyone gossip.gif

I just find it funny that when someones opinion differs from someone elses people tend to think you might be arguing confused-smiley-013.gif

I have stacks of raw books in mylars one on top of another sitting on shelves in my basement, do you consider this a form of unwilling pressing?

No..I consider it a storage technique.

Honestly can't believe you just went there....

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Extreme example. Let's stick with a NM- book with a small NCB crease. You're suggesting that removing that NCB makes the book better. I disagree. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pressing a NM- book with a NCB into a NM book is an "extreme example"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is a NM book better than a NM- book? Yes, it is, which is why the pressed book is now in better condition. If your definition of "better" includes the book not being pressed, then yeah, the lower graded NM- is better, but if your definition of better corresponds to Overstreet's, CGC's, and anyone else looking at the book in front of them, then no, the NM- copy with a NCB is not better than the same book with the NCB pressed out. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was referring to the Exciting as an extreme example.

The pressed 9.4 is in better condition than the unpressed 9.2 it once was?

Define 'condition'. Use your OS if you like..... popcorn.gif

I'm shocked that you don't devote at least 9 hours a day to this forum like the rest of us. 893naughty-thumb.gif

What could have possibly been more important back in June last year. sign-rantpost.gif

Yes, otherwise it would still be a 9.2, wouldn't it? poke2.gif

Is a NM book better than a NM- book? Yes, it is, which is why the pressed book is now in better condition. If your definition of "better" includes the book not being pressed, then yeah, the lower graded NM- is better, but if your definition of better corresponds to Overstreet's, CGC's, and anyone else looking at the book in front of them, then no, the NM- copy with a NCB is not better than the same book with the NCB pressed out. confused-smiley-013.gif

I was referring to the Exciting as an extreme example.

Define 'condition'. Use your OS if you like..... popcorn.gif

To help speed things along:

CONDITION - The state of preservation of a comic book, often inaccurately used interchangeably with Grade

- OS # 35 pg.988

I'm shocked that you don't devote at least 9 hours a day to this forum like the rest of us. 893naughty-thumb.gif

What could have possibly been more important back in June last year. sign-rantpost.gif

Dont know,

work? family? life poke2.gif

See above post juggle.gif

Never mind Chris, you're entitled to the opinion that the 9.4 is not better than the 9.2, it just grades out higher and looks better, that's all. Sort of like me saying I love both my in-laws the same, just differently. 27_laughing.gif

Captain Obvious here. So what you are saying is:

"An unaltered book is in a better condition than one that has been altered via pressing, even if the resulting grade is higher."

Yes, I know they are two different terms....condition and grade...so is this the point you are trying to make? If used in this context, I'd prefer to just call it preservation as opposed to conditon.

And, although I agree as to the distinction of these two terms...the world uses a grading scale, not a preservation scale. If a preservation scale were used, then I guess this information would be more relevant. I suspect this is the reason why disclosure is important for buyers to ensure they "get what they paid for".

See above post juggle.gif

Never mind Chris, you're entitled to the opinion that the 9.4 is not better than the 9.2, it just grades out higher and looks better, that's all. Sort of like me saying I love both my in-laws the same, just differently. 27_laughing.gif

Sad. I expected a better response from you.

The State of Preservation does not increase by pressing the 9.2 into a 9.4. 'Grade' does not equal 'condition'. In fact...it could be argued that the state of preservation(condition) of the book has been lessened due to the application of heat/moisture/pressure involved in the pressing process.

But whatever.... sleeping.gif

Captain Obvious here. So what you are saying is:

"An unaltered book is in a better condition than one that has been altered via pressing, even if the resulting grade is higher?"

Yes, I know they are two different terms....condition and grade...so is this the point you are trying to make? If used in this context, I'd prefer to just call it preservation as opposed to conditon.

The point is this:

A books 'State of Preservation' (condition) once dictated it's 'value'. That is no longer the case.

Anyhoo...I'm off to the lake. Have a great weekend everybody. hi.gif

The State of Preservation does not increase by pressing the 9.2 into a 9.4. 'Grade' does not equal 'condition'. In fact...it could be argued that the state of preservation(condition) of the book has been lessened due to the application of heat/moisture/pressure involved in the pressing process.

thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

The point is this:

A books 'State of Preservation' (condition) once dictated it's 'value'. That is no longer the case.

Anyhoo...I'm off to the lake. Have a great weekend everybody. hi.gif

I'd agree with that statement...assuming that there was a time in which these techniques were not used (which I definitely cannot verify). In any event I agree that the grade of the book has more priority over the state of preservation as the ruling factor in determining value. Good or bad...that's the reality today. CGC is case in point.

Have a nice weekend. hi.gif

Sad. I expected a better response from you.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not really interested in arguing semantics about which book is "better" and how one defines that. The bottom line is this - the pressed book looks better and the pressed book grades out higher, which is why, IMHO, it is better. And that's about as philosophical as I'm gonna get on this one! thumbsup2.gif