• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dad&Son's Pressing Project ( follow up to Joeypost's project )

178 posts in this topic

Extreme example. Let's stick with a NM- book with a small NCB crease. You're suggesting that removing that NCB makes the book better. I disagree. confused-smiley-013.gif

Pressing a NM- book with a NCB into a NM book is an "extreme example"? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, this is an extreme example. And all this recent talk made me dig up these old photos.

Last year when I was knee deep in my own pressing experiments I was curious about how the different types of pressing affected different types of flaws.

This experiment involved a large corner crease that borderline broke color. And while the word "pressing" is used when talking about stuff like this. This book was not pressed, nor was it exposed to heat. I just used my my hands and a few things lying around the shop. If I was able to get these results on a bend this severe I do not think taking a light indent, or a rounded corner bend a 9.4 book has, and removing it in this manner is anything close to extreme. It would be much more akin to applying pressure with your finger, as opposed to the common misperception of frying a book in a heat press.

If a book is already in 9.4 HG condition to start with, so little is needed to take it up a .2 bump or 2. I can understand and respect people not liking the process for multiple reasons. But for all intentional purposes the 9.4 book has not changed. So a rounded corner was made to lay flat again, or an outeredge bump was smoothed out, or an indent was softened. If people were not so HG crazy in this new CGC era of chasing perfection, I doubt we would even be talking about this type of tiny flaw removal.

But we are.

In the case of these photos.. this book was not a good pressing candidate because it breaks color.. But it served as a good example because it was so pronounced and easy to see the results.

And this is just MY opinion. Not stating it as fact, just offering what I happen to think is true.

Before

cornerbeforeclose.jpg

cornerbefore1.jpg

Bent

cornerbent1.jpg

cornerbent2.jpg

After

cornerafter2.jpg

cornerafter.jpg

insane.gif

To simplify:

GRADE = VALUE

ARTIFICIAL GRADE = ARTIFICIAL VALUE

ARTIFICIAL VALUE = tonofbricks.gif

To simplify:

There is no such thing as ARTIFICIAL VALUE.

BLUE LABEL GRADE = BLUE LABEL VALUE.

PLOD GRADE = PLOD VALUE.

Now get out of here and go to that lake you were talking about thumbsup2.gif

I personally have never seen before and after pics so yes to me it was sort of entertaining. I hear about pressing, and it was nice to see how it was done, even crudely by a non-pro.

As for your extreme analogy, I was referring to that I have never neen anyone suffer or have health issues from a pressed book, but have heard of people dying from steroid abuse, so yes I thought it was pretty extreme comparison.

Nik, you're still missing my point. I was comparing the results of the enhancement appearence. It would be like taking a before and after picture of a skinny guy who uses steroids and then being amazed that he got bigger.

I never talked about "evils", "health", or "death", so maybe if you'd quit adding imagined suppositions to my thoughts, it'd make more sense. makepoint.gif

This thread obviously serves no purpose to you, why are you here pointing that out? I got it after the first lines and I think at least 3 or 4 people answered why everyone is 'wowed.' It is informative to me, because unlike your highness, I had never seen what a difference amateur pressing can make, let alone professional. Now just lay off and let me enjoy these 'experiments' without getting annoyed at the all knowing explaining what pressing something does. thumbsup2.gif

With all due respect, and in my personal opinion, your response to Scheradon was out of line, as were some others as well. He was not being condescending or seeking to insult anyone. He made an analogy. Some will agree, some will disagree - depending upon your own individual interpretation.

The fact is that the examples in this thread have been repeated multiple times in other threads, including one that was live when this one started. Perhaps some newbies haven't seen those. That is certainly possible and to be expected. But it does not merit a response like above. hi.gif

I personally have never seen before and after pics so yes to me it was sort of entertaining. I hear about pressing, and it was nice to see how it was done, even crudely by a non-pro.

As for your extreme analogy, I was referring to that I have never neen anyone suffer or have health issues from a pressed book, but have heard of people dying from steroid abuse, so yes I thought it was pretty extreme comparison.

Nik, you're still missing my point. I was comparing the results of the enhancement appearence. It would be like taking a before and after picture of a skinny guy who uses steroids and then being amazed that he got bigger.

I never talked about "evils", "health", or "death", so maybe if you'd quit adding imagined suppositions to my thoughts, it'd make more sense. makepoint.gif

This thread obviously serves no purpose to you, why are you here pointing that out? I got it after the first lines and I think at least 3 or 4 people answered why everyone is 'wowed.' It is informative to me, because unlike your highness, I had never seen what a difference amateur pressing can make, let alone professional. Now just lay off and let me enjoy these 'experiments' without getting annoyed at the all knowing explaining what pressing something does. thumbsup2.gif

With all due respect, and in my personal opinion, your response to Scheradon was out of line, as were some others as well. He was not being condescending or seeking to insult anyone. He made an analogy. Some will agree, some will disagree - depending upon your own individual interpretation.

The fact is that the examples in this thread have been repeated multiple times in other threads, including one that was live when this one started. Perhaps some newbies haven't seen those. That is certainly possible and to be expected. But it does not merit a response like above. hi.gif

With all due respect, that was his opinion and far more inflammatory things have been said... if you're going to go after Sid, you might as well go after everyone. i don't think his response was at all out of line.

With all due respect, that was his opinion and far more inflammatory things have been said... if you're going to go after Sid, you might as well go after everyone. i don't think his response was at all out of line.

So because "far more inflamatory" things have been said, that makes anything less ok? If that is your opinion, as it seems to be, then I can understand why you don't think it is out of line. You are entitled to your opinion as well. We respectfully disagree with one another.

BTW, this is nothing personal against Sid. I have had only pleasant dealings with Sid. I am only talking about this specific thread.

I will .. it's just been a hell week at the office so I'll try to gather my things.. dust myself off and select a few candidates for this evening's events. I'll try to do some books that are 9.0ish and take close ups as best as I can. thumbsup2.gif