• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Does Chuck Think He's Fooling?

69 posts in this topic

I have heard that it is an "Urban Legend" of comics that Mr. Rozanski paid $.10 a comic for the Church collection. He seems to want to make an awful lot of what he does in his business, our business, excluding what he paid for the Church collection.

If he really wants to get people's attention he could can the stories about Hawaii and tell us what he paid for the Church collection.

just to be a Devil's Advocate, would it have been better for the hobby if Chuck had just declined to buy the collection? they were on their way to the landfill, after the first dealer passed on the Church's offer.

confused-smiley-013.gif

It is true that the collection was purchased for $.10 a book. And Chuck had to borrow the $2000 to buy them. It is also true that if he didn't buy them they would have been trashed. Some were thrown out prior to his purchase. At this point, what he paid is much less important to me than what I will have to pay to add the next Church book to my collection.

I've got a bible from Church that would go great in your collection...$12.95 shipped..PM me 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Does it have pictures in it?

I have heard that it is an "Urban Legend" of comics that Mr. Rozanski paid $.10 a comic for the Church collection. He seems to want to make an awful lot of what he does in his business, our business, excluding what he paid for the Church collection.

If he really wants to get people's attention he could can the stories about Hawaii and tell us what he paid for the Church collection.

just to be a Devil's Advocate, would it have been better for the hobby if Chuck had just declined to buy the collection? they were on their way to the landfill, after the first dealer passed on the Church's offer.

confused-smiley-013.gif

It is true that the collection was purchased for $.10 a book. And Chuck had to borrow the $2000 to buy them. It is also true that if he didn't buy them they would have been trashed. Some were thrown out prior to his purchase. At this point, what he paid is much less important to me than what I will have to pay to add the next Church book to my collection.

I've got a bible from Church that would go great in your collection...$12.95 shipped..PM me 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Does it have pictures in it?

sorry.gif darn, lost another one to ditech

You know what's worse? I heard Church himself paid only 10 cents a piece for them! Scandal! Where will it end?!

Seriously, though, how many comic businesses have you seen go belly up? How many of us started collecting because we saw an ad for old comics in the comics we were reading? Chuck has done a lot more good for the hobby than some people may like to admit. If you don't like his prices, and think his staff overgrades, then don't buy from him. But the truth is, he's still out there making a living at what he loves, and he's a sincere, if a little wacky, guy. Why do some of us waste our time hating people?

I always thought he suffered simply from 'Roter Syndrome'.

Where he got a great deal on the Church books, sold them, made a great deal off them. Then ever since has watched the prices for the books escalte, to a point where his initial sale prices look like giveaway prices! And like Roter, he's quietly seething from money left on the table, and attempting to recoup this 'perceived' loss by inflating everything else he sells astronomically.

I mean 2-3 x guide for anyone these days is bargain basement for HG books, not to mention what the books have escalated in OSPG terms. Selling back when he did, was arguably very short sighted, even tough he probably made 10x on his initial outlay

It's the only logicl thing I can come up with to explain his pricing confused-smiley-013.gif

I mean 2-3 x guide for anyone these days is bargain basement for HG books, not to mention what the books have escalated in OSPG terms. Selling back when he did, was arguably very short sighted, even tough he probably made 10x on his initial outlay

It's the only logicl thing I can come up with to explain his pricing confused-smiley-013.gif

Nah, his business model (vast inventory / high profile heavy advertizing / very high pricing) from almost the beginning has remained unchanged because it has worked for him. No other reason.

Nah, his business model (vast inventory / high profile heavy advertizing / very high pricing) from almost the beginning has remained unchanged because it has worked for him. No other reason.

Exactly thumbsup2.gif

The only thing that Chuck has changed since the mid to late 90's is he gave up on head-to-head comic sales at cons and went primarily all internet. He will sell TPB's at shows these days, but he can't compete in individual comic sales when customers can compare his prices and quality against most of the other dealers at the show.

It was a very smart move.

You know what's worse? I heard Church himself paid only 10 cents a piece for them! Scandal! Where will it end?!

Seriously, though, how many comic businesses have you seen go belly up? How many of us started collecting because we saw an ad for old comics in the comics we were reading? Chuck has done a lot more good for the hobby than some people may like to admit. If you don't like his prices, and think his staff overgrades, then don't buy from him. But the truth is, he's still out there making a living at what he loves, and he's a sincere, if a little wacky, guy. Why do some of us waste our time hating people?

thumbsup2.gif

Mention Chuck or Mile High on here and about the same 10 or so people will chime in with how they did buisness with him 3 years ago and now hate him. Then someone will go off about how he should probably go to hell for not paying guide/enough money for the church collection. Then we move to where someone will post a photo, a few will make fun of how he looks. And at the end they finish off with how he is a hippie and make fun of his different hobby. We might get a straggler who cannot stand his newsletters but just can't bring themselves to just either unsubscribe/delete them.

confused-smiley-013.gif I used to get upset over this but now just kind of sit back and watch them soil themselves over someone else getting lucky.

I owe much of my collecting experience to Mile High. When I was a kid, I lived on an Air Force Base... miles and miles away from a comic store. Other than the local department store on base that sold comics off the spinner rack, I had no other means to get comics. I stumbled across a Mile High Comics ad in a Marvel comic and joined their N.I.C.E. Club. It was awesome getting books like the European GI Joe magazine comics and the like and it opened up a whole new world of different kind of books I could get. I'll always be thankful to Mile High for that.

thumbsup2.gif

Mention Chuck or Mile High on here and about the same 10 or so people will chime in with how they did buisness with him 3 years ago and now hate him. Then someone will go off about how he should probably go to hell for not paying guide/enough money for the church collection. Then we move to where someone will post a photo, a few will make fun of how he looks. And at the end they finish off with how he is a hippie and make fun of his different hobby. We might get a straggler who cannot stand his newsletters but just can't bring themselves to just either unsubscribe/delete them.

confused-smiley-013.gif I used to get upset over this but now just kind of sit back and watch them soil themselves over someone else getting lucky.

I was dying laughing when I read this post because I started to think of the same thing.

I know many of us comic collectors (if not all) do not want to pay guide for comics. The ultimate for any comic collector is to swing by some garage sale some lady is having and it's full of NM Action and Detective's 1 and up. I mean seriously why get so mad at Chuck for doing what we all dream to do?

thumbsup2.gif

I was dying laughing when I read this post because I started to think of the same thing.

I know many of us comic collectors (if not all) do not want to pay guide for comics. The ultimate for any comic collector is to swing by some garage sale some lady is having and it's full of NM Action and Detective's 1 and up. I mean seriously why get so mad at Chuck for doing what we all dream to do?

I don't hate Chuck but I really hated MHC's *spoon* customer service and I think it's that sort of thing that puts people on a downer about him.

Last e-mail he laments his disappointment of going all the way from Colorado to Hawaii to buy a collection that was found to be seriously overgraded and had to pass.

Now he knows the disappointment his customers feel when they buy his overgraded , over priced garbage. What a m_oron.

Don't forget that Chuck gets to write off his family trip to Hawaii since he went there on business. His is just documenting it in a dramatic fashion to prove the write off when he files his tax return. Because he employees his family he gets to write off their salaries and expenses subject to very little limitations. I bet he took his family with him Smart man......................chuck is.

Sid, I'm impressed that you can predict what me and the other nine guys (I assume) will do at appearance of a thread on Chuck Rozanski. Still, it doesn't mean that me are wrong or out of line, boring perhaps, but not wrong or out of line.

Don't forget that Chuck gets to write off his family trip to Hawaii since he went there on business. His is just documenting it in a dramatic fashion to prove the write off when he files his tax return. Because he employees his family he gets to write off their salaries and expenses subject to very little limitations. I bet he took his family with him Smart man......................chuck is.

True, however it is an expense, and if he is THAT low on cash, he should keep expenses down, rather than have a knee jerk reaction emergency sale.

When cash is low, keep expenses down--basic good business. Going to Hawaii and buying irrigation hose and boxes of 40cent Xmen when things are tight is bad business.

Come to think of it, if I spent a minute, I could predict what the pro-Chuck minions would say too. Though I think that your response, Sid, has been unique and quite clever.

Actually I'm not "pro-Chuck" and my predictions can easily be backed by just using the search function. And I seriously challenge you, do it and then come back and tell me its not true. I've agreed time and time that he overgrades, overprices and this is the reason I don't buy from him but I don't have little pity parties for myself either. I don't appreciate that this much venom is spit out on someone who ultimately loves this hobby and is a giant player on it. Aside from that, I would speak out against this type of behaviour against anyone not just Chuck. The attitude here is childish and that was my only point.

flowerred.gif

And since I haven't written about this in an hour...

There was a painting found recently at a garage sale, in Vancouver, I believe. It was purchased for $200. The person who bought it passed it onto an auction house which expects to get over $100,000 for it. The auction may now be finished. This is the subject of newspaper articles and radio talk shows all over Canada. No one is questioning the legality of what went on but people are discussing the morality. It is an interesting moral question at the very least. I know less about the Bible than I do about comics but I think "The Sermon on the Mount" has something to do with all that, and that passage of the Bible has been puzzling people for two millenium. The best answer I have heard about this sort of garage sale windfall is, "You might do it, but it is not the sort of thing you would brag to your grandchildren about".

It is easy to sit back and say, "I would never do that," especially when NOT ONE OF US has ever been tested to that degree. Also, most of us are not twenty years old and the context is no longer a fledgling hobby that could go up or down.

It is equally easy to say, "There is nothing illegal about it and I would do the same thing". I am sure some would but others would try to compensate the previous owner though perhaps after the deal, some would see it as a financial windfall but not not try to turn the situation into a statement about their own personal importance.

And as I have said before, Chuck leaves himself wide open for criticism with his self-promoting statements.

So there.