• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Considering selling my collection

37 posts in this topic

Well, yesterday I finally had it with my co-worker. We worked together in a small office room with no windows and, since he had been made my supervisor last week, had become an even bigger spoon than ever before. Everything I did was wrong, had to be re-done, and I could look forward to a barrage of cutting insults about my abilities and the quality of my work every day.

My job was getting worse on a daily basis, and when he told me some product photos I took yesterday were the worst he had ever seen. ("Look at this. Just terrible. Maybe you're not cut out for this line of work") I finally snapped, said "I quit" and went to talk to my old supervisor. I told her I could put in the two weeks if necessary, but the person I work with obviously was trying to make my life miserable. She said it was all right, that I could just go, and I turned in my keys and left. I think upper management encouraged this to happen since they could now re-hire the person who formerly had my position, who just moved back into town and was a favorite among the staff. Office politics...

Anyway, with health coverage now a worry (thank goodness the wife and I are waiting a while to have kids!) and the prospect of bills and other stuff that won't be covered by my freelance work, I've come to the very sad conclusion that I might have to sell my Dr. Strange Collection.

Just wanted to put my feelers out there to the board as to the best way to get the most out of this if indeed I have to go this route. Most of the comics are F+ to VF, and many key issues have multiple copies. There's also original art, toys, posters... even a costume.

Should I sell the whole thing together? That would be the easiest way to go, but probably not the most lucrative. Should I go to a dealer? eBay? The collection has gotten a lot of attention, so perhaps an ad in a comic magazine? Dr. Arnold B... Do you think Geppi might be interested?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. You can see a list of the entire collection in the link below in my signature.

I'm still on the fence about doing this, and don't really want to, so this is something I have to consider for a little while before deciding conclusively what I'm going to do.

Thanks folks.

Howard, I am very sad to hear that you might have to sell off your collection. I know how much of a labor of love it was for you to amass such a huge inventory of Dr. Strange items. I hope you find a job soon so that you will not have to sell, but I wish you the best of luck.

flowerred.gif

One great thing about comics is you can always sell, re-buy, sell, re-buy. I have sold my collection at least 6 times, sometimes to finance other projects and sometimes just because I was bored of comics. When I have interest I recollect the stuff that I really liked.

I would first offer them out to the members here, it will save you ebay listing and comission fees plus you can always buy them back later haha. After that throw the rest up on ebay on a .10 list day. Best of luck to you and if you decide to sell some LMK I may buy some.

Sorry to hear the bad news. I've been in jobs I hated, but I always managed to stick it out until I found a new one. Good luck in the search. flowerred.gif

I wouldn't sell it in one chunk for two reasons:

* You'll get much less per item. People buying in bulk expect a discount.

* If you do land something quickly, you'll be sorry that you sold off everything when you didn't have to.

Sell pieces one by one as you need to. For items where you can get decent money, try a consignment site -- you'll get more than ebay. Maybe you can get an advance on the estimated consignment. For lower priced items, try ebay or the marketplace here.

sadly enough, the art is probably what will net the most real money. once you get past the first few appearances in Strange Tales, mid-grade copies of those books don't sell for all that much. i say sad, because that's the stuff you won't be able to replace so easy.

You might have luck selling it as a set and hyping the bejeezuz out of the auction wherever you can. Tons and tons of pictures will be necessary I'd think.

If you need the cash sell the easier to replace stuff first - from what I recall much of your collection would be difficult to replace.

Agree.

Prioritize everything from easiest to replace(comics) to hardest to replace(OA).

Sell the Duplicate comics and slowly work your way up the chain.

Good luck with whatever you decide. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Mike

Sorry to hear that. frown.gif

If you have to sell, start with your dupes. That way if you find a job sooner than you think most of your collection will still be intact. I would NOT sell everything as a group.

I've already hired 2 job recruiters and can be pretty aggressive in terms of hunting down employment. As far as funds go, I have about a month or two before things in the collection have to start going bye bye.

Still, it's important for me to get my feelers out there and get some opinions as to how to do all this. Keep them coming. I'm taking notes.

I've already hired 2 job recruiters and can be pretty aggressive in terms of hunting down employment. As far as funds go, I have about a month or two before things in the collection have to start going bye bye.

Still, it's important for me to get my feelers out there and get some opinions as to how to do all this. Keep them coming. I'm taking notes.

I'm not an expert on employment law by any stretch of the imagination, but doesn't your ex-employer's behaviour look pretty suspect?

That's lousy news, sorry to hear that.

Like Blob said, the books although easiest to replace will probably bring the least, but I'd definitely start with those. You might not do so bad on the boards with them. Maybe if Nik, October or Flaming Telepath sells them in your stead you'll do even better! insane.gif But seriously you may do better here with them than on ebay and if they didn't sell here, ebay will still be an option. I'd try as hard as possible not to sell the more obscure pieces. What a shame! That's a great collection you put a lot of effort into. I hope it works out for you and you find something quickly. flowerred.gif

sorry to hear about your job loss man...that is never easy.

I hope you will at least keep a few pieces of your collection.

I also just wanted to saythat I really love you site and have looked at it many times for Dr Strange info.

I wouldn't sell. Even getting a small paying job could be enough to keep you afloat for a little while. But selling a collection you've put so much time to get, would be one of the last things I sell.

If I did have to sell, I'd sell the keys first. They are the highest demanded and will bring the greatest percentages of guide. At the same time it is easier to get the key issue back down the line then it is to get the run back, if you ended up selling the run. So, first sell the keys, then the lesser keys, then the run and sell the OA last.

But seriously you may do better here with them than on ebay and if they didn't sell here, ebay will still be an option. I'd try as hard as possible not to sell the more obscure pieces.

What he said.

List some assorted lots in Marketplace first, let go of a few high dollar items that you can live without. Fast cash is one of the reason we all buy key books isn't it? To flip them if you are in a pinch.

Sometimes cash in hand is better then comics in a closet.

And I will say again what others have already said.

Keep the stuff you had the hardest time finding and wait till a very rainy day before letting them go. In the end if it all must go, so be it. But at least you can ride it out and not regret later you let it all go before you absolutely had to.

I imagine you know all of this already, but sometimes hearing it from others re affirms what you knew all along.

Best of luck.

Ze-

My opinion is a little different then everyone elses.

Sell what you have to keep you afloat till something better eventually comes along and it will. Materialistic things can always be replaced later in life and you have some pressure in finding a new workplace and do not need the mental stress in how you are going to pay for things.

In 2000 I lost my business and I sold everything I had including my house to settle debt wich Shell Oil Company caused me. Seven years later I have better and more of what I sold in the past.

You can always rebound from anything that life throws at you without mental stress.