• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Considering selling my collection

37 posts in this topic

I have to echo the sentiment that you should sell the comics first, and keep the hard to replace items for last. Comics are easy to find, and once you're back in a job and making money you can buy them back.

Figure out your expenses and what you need to raise. Check GPA for the going rates of any of your slabbed books. Try selling here on the Marketplace first, as there is no commission to pay (and most forumites pay quickly with Paypal). If you don't get what you want here, then you can use Pedigree, HighGradeComics, ComicLink, or any consignment site. For the comics, I'd probably go to ebay last, at least for selling keys and HG material - unless you need the money fast. Some of the consignment sites pay monthly, so you may not get a check for a while. Of course you can always see if they can pay you faster.

Only sell as much as you need at the time. You made a very emotional decision when you quit, so don't do something rash and unload your incredible collection if it's not necessary -- and only once it is necessary.

Stop eating out at restaurants, find ways to economize your daily living expenses, maybe sell stuff from around the house that you don't use/need anymore (ebay is great for THAT), sell your blood ( 27_laughing.gif ), and THEN once you've exhausted all other avenues, you can look at your collection as away to raise living expenses. Hopefully you'll be employed again quickly and won't have to sell off a lot of stuff, if any at all.

Good luck! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifflowerred.gif

three kids, a couple wives, a few cars, a few houses, three countries and a few million dollars later, I have the collection I set out to have 20 years ago, all of it easily replaceable.

That being said,

Only sell things which will be available when your income inflates. Like one of a kind things you sell now may not be available when you are raking it in. Pick the top 150 sentimental items in your collection and keep them no matter what. Regardless of value. Then sell the rest as a group, noting the high end items and your circumstance. Mark Wilson of PGC Mint taught me that selling your collection is sometimes necessary but you can buy it back later. He did it, I did it, we have all done it. then when you have the "kid" you won't have to do this again. And you'll have less room devoted to storage for items that may not meet market expectations in the future. (more room for the "kid"). make sure to accurately photographically (?) represent your items IN SITU to remember what you are selling in the event you do want it again later. And PM me your list I'll tell you what you have and what you might want to keep if you run the dollar vs. sentiment cost

- Good Luck in any event, and God Bless your Family wink.gif

Anyway, with health coverage now a worry (thank goodness the wife and I are waiting a while to have kids!)

I'm no expert on HR matters, but I think you should be able to stay covered under your company's health plan for the remainder of the year. You're probably covered to the end of the month anyways, and then I think there's a way for you to stay under if you pay your pro rata share of the premiums afterwards (at the employer's rate, which is probably better than what you'd have to pay on your own).

Anyway, with health coverage now a worry (thank goodness the wife and I are waiting a while to have kids!)

I'm no expert on HR matters, but I think you should be able to stay covered under your company's health plan for the remainder of the year. You're probably covered to the end of the month anyways, and then I think there's a way for you to stay under if you pay your pro rata share of the premiums afterwards (at the employer's rate, which is probably better than what you'd have to pay on your own).

Actually, COBRA Continuation Health insurance is usually incredibly expensive compared to what the employee pays as part of the group plan.

It's better to investigate to see if it's possible to get onto your spouse's plan generally (if her company offers it.)

If you can show "good cause" for leaving, you can usually file for unemployment as well. (As long as the employer approves it.)

The situation also POSSIBLY sounds like a hostile work environment which is part of Sexual Harassment and Employment law, but I'll leave that up to the employment lawyers.

(I haven't read the entire thread.. just the first few pages from earlier today.)

My opinion is a little different then everyone elses.

Sell what you have to keep you afloat till something better eventually comes along and it will. Materialistic things can always be replaced later in life and you have some pressure in finding a new workplace and do not need the mental stress in how you are going to pay for things.

You can always rebound from anything that life throws at you without mental stress.

Ditto... thumbsup2.gif

If you're not on any prescription medication, it's pretty easy to find a decently priced health plan at any of the major insurance companies You might have to go with a high deductible but you have piece of mind that you're only out a few thousand if god forbid you were hospitalized and it will keep the price down.

The situation also POSSIBLY sounds like a hostile work environment which is part of Sexual Harassment and Employment law, but I'll leave that up to the employment lawyers.

--------------

Sounds like one guy irritating another guy, not on the basis of gender, race, etc. There is no law that says don't be a jerk.

CA might be loosey goosier about leaving "for cause" and getting unemployment, but it doesn't sound like there's enough of a paper trail to back up this claim. And no, the employer isn't going to accept it either, they fight this stuff.

As for COBRA -- you only need to pay the premium if you wind up using the insurance. You have a certain amount of time to make that decision. Do not get suckered into paying any premium up front. Your benefits person at the job should have a pamphlet for this.

I'm pretty sure that if you're only unemployed for a couple of months and don't see a Dr. and make an insurance claim, you're in good shape. I don't think you can wait 6-12 or whatever months to make this determination, however.

So, if there's just routine stuff (annual check-up), it might be cheaper to pay out of pocket or defer until you have coverage at a new job than having insurance pay for it under COBRA and then get hit for $2000 for 2 or 3 months of premiums.

Sounds like one guy irritating another guy, not on the basis of gender, race, etc. There is no law that says don't be a jerk.

True... but we don't actually know everything that was said or the entire circumstances. It's true that being a jerk is not a protected characteristic. confused-smiley-013.gif

Criticism is one thing. If it's abusive, that's another thing.

In any case, I'm not an employment lawyer. Good luck with the job search, wdb.

.... sell your blood.....

That's dedication 893whatthe.gif

Sperm banks need donations too, and they often pay well if your swimmers are strong. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, it beats (no pun intended) having to sell off your collection!!! Why not get paid to do something you're gonna do anyway? 27_laughing.gif

I had all the secret wars characters including the Euro releases of Electro, Constrictor and iceman and yet you seem to have a Doctor Strange Secret Wars character??? I find this ..... strange yet interesting. Oh well... back to work. Good luck with the task at hand!

I had all the secret wars characters including the Euro releases of Electro, Constrictor and iceman and yet you seem to have a Doctor Strange Secret Wars character??? I find this ..... strange yet interesting. Oh well... back to work. Good luck with the task at hand!

gossip.gif It's a custom-made figure

RE: Health plans - I'm waiting for Aetna (my former plan) to send me the forms before I can get on Cobra. I'm looking into that as well as Kaiser.

As for selling sperm or blood... not this week at least.

Think I'm going to sell some very rare Flaming Carrot stuff and a pretty extensive Moon Knight collection before I start dipping into the Dr. Strange items. Anyone interested?