• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Detective 168

32 posts in this topic

My two cents:

I think it's about a 5.0. Quite a bit of wear on the spine, the significant crease URC, other dings, plus the piece out of the back cover. It seems a real stretch to go any higher, and you could make an argument for a little lower.

I had a real tough time returning a grossly overgraded Action 43 last year,

but I will say that I didn't have ANY problems returning the book to Metro. sorry to hear that you did Steve.

Just to clarify, Metro did not give me a tough time returning the book.

It was a tough decision on my part because once I had it in hand -- and mentally checked off the list -- it wasn't easy for me to send it back and "put it back on the want list."

IIRC, 3 board members bought that book and passed on it. I wonder who finally kept it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I had a real tough time returning a grossly overgraded Action 43 last year,

but I will say that I didn't have ANY problems returning the book to Metro. sorry to hear that you did Steve.

Just to clarify, Metro did not give me a tough time returning the book.

It was a tough decision on my part because once I had it in hand -- and mentally checked off the list -- it wasn't easy for me to send it back and "put it back on the want list."

IIRC, 3 board members bought that book and passed on it. I wonder who finally kept it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

my bad Steve, I misunderstood what you were saying,..

Well guys, I think I've decided to keep it even if it is slightly overgraded. The interior paper quality is outstanding for one. If the chip had been on the front, I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I can live with the condition it is in. I may trade it sometime in the future if I find a better copy I can afford. Thanks for all the input guys!!

Well guys, I think I've decided to keep it even if it is slightly overgraded. The interior paper quality is outstanding for one. If the chip had been on the front, I probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place. I can live with the condition it is in. I may trade it sometime in the future if I find a better copy I can afford. Thanks for all the input guys!!

What's sad is that you paid $1,600 for a VG/FN. That's nearly 2X grade guide. tongue.gif

hello all...

just a point of reference...I have owned 3 diff 4.5 to 5.0 cgc'd copies (still have 2, as it is one of my favs), and paid $600-750 for all 3...all cr/off white or better pages...

rick

Obviously you are free to do as you please, and if you like the book that's all that's important, but this is the exact reason dealers continue to overgrade. frown.gif

Now that I'm out of college I've been thinking of starting to buy GA books again and Metro is the place to go. However, I've noticed their grading hasn't exactly been commended recently. I've also noticed some books on the site that used to be CGC graded and are now raw with higher grades listed. Not exactly the type of thing that is making me want to jump back into the GA market.

That CGC 6.5 is a sweet looking copy - but I guess the back cover chips bring it down.

That CGC 4.5 looks weak - the Metro copy that started this thread is certainly a nicer book - but it isn't a 6.5.

Looking at the scans from both those Heritage auctions, I think my copy would fall somewhere in between, maybe 5.5. My copy has better page quality and a better back cover with less chips than the 6.5, but not as clean a front cover. I wish there was a scan of the BC for the 4.5. I know my FC looks better than it.

I actually feel better now after seeing those other copies. I may send my copy to be slabbed just to bring closure(no pun intended).