• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Were You Scared the First Few Purchases?

41 posts in this topic

](I have to say the problem I'm having tracking down a nice Tim Holt 11 that I like is actually fun. I didn't think I'd enjoy having problems finding a book, but it seems like I'll feel like it's so much more worth it at the end of the day.)

gossip.gif You probably already know this but Jim Payette has a VG copy for sale. Not the grade range you mention but request a scan and it might just be a good enough copy for your current want shy.gifLinky

](I have to say the problem I'm having tracking down a nice Tim Holt 11 that I like is actually fun. I didn't think I'd enjoy having problems finding a book, but it seems like I'll feel like it's so much more worth it at the end of the day.)

gossip.gif You probably already know this but Jim Payette has a VG copy for sale. Not the grade range you mention but request a scan and it might just be a good enough copy for your current want shy.gifLinky

Jim's VGs can often be much higher than VG as well. He is a very tight grader. I bought this raw from him as a VG+.

Batman6.jpg

Tim Holt 11 does come up on ebay on occasion....I've just never been the winning bidder....Cool book to chase...and Westerns in high grade are tough....ask takingshotstoquit about that.

Jim's VGs can often be much higher than VG as well. He is a very tight grader. I bought this raw from him as a VG+.

Batman6.jpg

Nice book. I think Jim grading is right on the money. I've noticed grading standards elsewhere have been going down. 15 years ago a vg+ was a nice book. I've always been happy with Jim's books.

Don't forget to make you "real" want list. You'll see books coming up all the time that look like a great opportunity, and they may be, but you may regret it later for one reason or another.

Great advice. Since GA is so broad and defined by many collecting interests (Timely, Horror, Batman/Tecs, Superman/Actions, Good Girls, LB Cole, Gerber covers, etc.) and requires more patience/discipline, using a personal Top 40 Want List is highly recommended.

Here are three of my favorite tips that I've learned from these boards...

1. THINK AHEAD! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Consider what you want your collection to be like in 5 years. Which comics would you value relatively more than other GA collectors and use this to guide your collection? For me, it's Flag & Timely war covers! Build your collection with what you would enjoy most!

Do your homework, make a Top 40 list and assume you'll get 2-5 "shots" at each book depending on scarcity. Which books, grade and size of the collection would maximize your budget and collecting interest? Do you want a few killer books or a larger collection of nice/cool books? Would you prefer 3 mid-grades or 1 high grade? Want Lists make buy/sell decisions easier...and you can celebrate your wins with fellow GA collectors on these boards!

2. PLAN AHEAD! cool.gif Think about how you'll be buying books....online dealers, conventions, eBay, auctions. Do you get more satisfaction from "value" purchases or owning "hot" books? Are you a "Hunter" (hold out for the perfect buy, hate selling your books) or "Gatherer" (buy Superman #24 for now until you find a Superman #14). They say SA collecting is grocery shopping while GA collecting is treasure hunting.

3. GO AHEAD! thumbsup2.gif When you find a GA book you want, you have to be aggressive....it may be the only mid-grade copy on the census, or the last nice copy you'll see in 2-3 years! Don't be afraid to pay a little more to get what you want... we all have regrets of not spending that extra $50 or $5000 to get THAT BOOK when it was available.

Best of luck and, above all, enjoy this great hobby! 893applaud-thumb.gif

GE

Don't forget to make you "real" want list. You'll see books coming up all the time that look like a great opportunity, and they may be, but you may regret it later for one reason or another.

Great advice. Since GA is so broad and defined by many collecting interests (Timely, Horror, Batman/Tecs, Superman/Actions, Good Girls, LB Cole, Gerber covers, etc.) and requires more patience/discipline, using a personal Top 40 Want List is highly recommended.

1. THINK AHEAD! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Consider what you want your collection to be like in 5 years. Which comics would you value relatively more than other GA collectors and use this to guide your collection? For me, it's Flag & Timely war covers! Build your collection with what you would enjoy most!

Do your homework, make a Top 40 list and assume you'll get 2-5 "shots" at each book depending on scarcity. Which books, grade and size of the collection would maximize your budget and collecting interest? Do you want a few killer books or a larger collection of nice/cool books? Would you prefer 3 mid-grades or 1 high grade? Want Lists make buy/sell decisions easier...and you can celebrate your wins with fellow GA collectors on these boards!

2. PLAN AHEAD! cool.gif Think about how you'll be buying books....online dealers, conventions, eBay, auctions. Do you get more satisfaction from "value" purchases or owning "hot" books? Are you a "Hunter" (hold out for the perfect buy, hate selling your books) or "Gatherer" (buy Superman #24 for now until you find a Superman #14). They say SA collecting is grocery shopping while GA collecting is treasure hunting.

3. GO AHEAD! thumbsup2.gif When you find a GA book you want, you have to be aggressive....it may be the only mid-grade copy on the census, or the last nice copy you'll see in 2-3 years! Don't be afraid to pay a little more to get what you want... we all have regrets of not spending that extra $50 or $5000 to get THAT BOOK when it was available.

GE

Great advice. I especially like the grocery shopping/treasure hunt analogy.

Mike, yup and that's why I suggested to Rob to request a scan. I have learned over time not to simply rely on technical grade. I pay more for low technical grade that have great eye-appeal simply because some spine split does not detract from my enjoyment of the book.

Oh and btw, there are some comic books worth over $100? screwy.giftongue.gif

I have to say the problem I'm having tracking down a nice Tim Holt 11 that I like is actually fun. I didn't think I'd enjoy having problems finding a book, but it seems like I'll feel like it's so much more worth it at the end of the day.

Harley also has a copy.

shameless plug: found it via my site: ComicSeeker.com

GE

I agree, excellent advice. thumbsup2.gif

I would also suggest purchasing books in lower grade first to find out whether you love the genre or not. For instance, when I first started collecting good girl art covers, I gave myself about $1,000 budget and proceeded to purchase around 25 to 30 books (Jungle, Jumbo, Rulah, etc.) in lower grade. Once I realized that GGA was my calling card, I went after the higher graded more expensive books. I then sold my lower grade copies for a very small loss on Ebay ($50 to $100). On the otherhand, I've seen plenty of people spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on certain books in specific genres, but decide to sell a few months later since they'd much rather collect Timely's or DC's instead. There's nothing wrong with that, except that a lot of funds may be tied up in these books, and selling them only a few months later will probably result in a financial loss (factoring in consignment, shipping and Ebay fees).

I have to say the problem I'm having tracking down a nice Tim Holt 11 that I like is actually fun. I didn't think I'd enjoy having problems finding a book, but it seems like I'll feel like it's so much more worth it at the end of the day.

Harley also has a copy.

shameless plug: found it via my site: ComicSeeker.com

Well, I had seen that copy. But I want something in the Fine type range at least. It might be his VG is, but that's hard to say without seeing the book.

GE

This is indeed a great post.

Great thread with alot of helpful advice. I only own a few (less than 10) GA books, but have slowly been leaning towards possibly adding a few to the collection. Thanks to all that offered advice. thumbsup2.gif

I was really nervous when I bought my 1st major GA key in 1989. I could have bought my 3rd copy of AF #15 but decided to get a thrashed Detect #27 instead. I was shaking when I read those pages as I finally had my Grail in my sweaty palms!

For GA collectors on a budget, try collecting pulps. They came out an average of 10 yrs earlier than GA keys and are about 90% cheaper. Lots of great genres: Buck Rogers, Shadow, Doc Savage, Ka-zar, Marvel Tales, Yellow Claw, Planet Stories, ERB Tarzan or John Carter of Mars, etc. hail.gif893whatthe.gif

P1140066.jpg

I was 19 and had previously never spent more than probably $500 or so on a comic book. I threw in what I considered to be a thrill bid on a Superman 1 heritage was auctioning off on eBay because the price was sitting impossibly low.

893whatthe.gif Dude, how old are you?!

24 gossip.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Being someone young like you at the time and making around the same money how the hell did afford a 20K book confused.gif

They say SA collecting is grocery shopping while GA collecting is treasure hunting.

GE

That is the truth. It is much more difficult to find many things.

I moved into GA about a year ago also, in fact it is why I joined the boards after lurking for 2 years. I wanted to be able to consult some knowledgable people to ask when I want to spend $$ on a book, "Am I getting @#$#^ on this one?"

I learned a lot about the hobby in general on less expensive silver/bronze age books but GA is a little scary to start, as the average price point to enter is so much higher.

Not all of us can get VG+ copies of FC 386 for $82.50. tongue.gif

There are comic books worth less than $100?! 893whatthe.gif

Not all of us can get VG+ copies of FC 386 for $82.50. tongue.gif

There are comic books worth less than $100?! 893whatthe.gif

Yup, many! Please refer to the Short Bus thread to see all our under-$100 books crazy.gifhi.gif

I was really nervous when I bought my 1st major GA key in 1989. I could have bought my 3rd copy of AF #15 but decided to get a thrashed Detect #27 instead. I was shaking when I read those pages as I finally had my Grail in my sweaty palms!

For GA collectors on a budget, try collecting pulps. They came out an average of 10 yrs earlier than GA keys and are about 90% cheaper. Lots of great genres: Buck Rogers, Shadow, Doc Savage, Ka-zar, Marvel Tales, Yellow Claw, Planet Stories, ERB Tarzan or John Carter of Mars, etc. hail.gif893whatthe.gif

P1140066.jpg

It is a real treat to actually start looking at books that don't hit the radar and are tough to find. A ton of funny animal books fit the bill and they don't have to be the crappy ones either. Terry Toons under Timely have pretty awesome covers and pretty good interiors, especially the Mighty Mouse stories. Plus you get to try and find the first appearance of Mighty Mouse and Heckle & Jeckel - not easy. Unless you hit the 9.0 and above these aren't too expensive relative to the superhero. books. Another fun one might be the Amazing Stories mags/books/pulps. Great covers that it'd be fun to research which ones have nearly duplicate comic covers. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of that. I don't know the prices on those but they can't be too too high relative to comics.

I'd probably stear away from TV guide and other magazines though as far as alternative collecting goes.

Ed