• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Were You Scared the First Few Purchases?

41 posts in this topic

I'm finally taking the dip into GA. And it's a serious dip. After just completing a deal for Ghost Rider 1, I already found a high grade 5 that I simply *must* own.

The thing is, prior to my Rider 1 deal, the most I'd ever spent on a book was $250 (shipped.) (This was a Daredevil 1 for anyone that's interested.)

Now I'm about to blow those numbers out of the water for monthly spending, and to be honest, I'm completely nervous about it. Before, if I ever bought a book, the most I was out was $100 or so. Now, mind you, that's still money. But I'd get over it if I didn't like the book for some reason down the road.

Are the feelings of hesitation normal for your first real jumps into GA? And will I ever be able to go back to SA? (I have to say the problem I'm having tracking down a nice Tim Holt 11 that I like is actually fun. I didn't think I'd enjoy having problems finding a book, but it seems like I'll feel like it's so much more worth it at the end of the day.)

I wasn't scared, but I can understand where you are coming from. The GA is addicting, and since I have crossed over I can't see myself wasting much time or money on SA, other than a High grade key here or there. There is no challange in SA, its just money, in the GA, the hunt is on. Its money, its the hunt, and the covers are unreal. There also is an established collecter base to count on for your future investment.

Rob,

If you can, talk to other experienced GA collectors who may be able to guide you clear of some of the pitfalls (i.e., disreputable dealers and other manipulative practices) that unfortunately are an intrinsic part of the hobby.

STEVE

I think the key is to go slow when you first get into it. Make sure that your grading is good and get a feel for the scarcity of books that you are interested in. Not everything is hard to find.

As a person who started collecting GA books less than year ago, I can completely relate to your position. I believe your concerns are well founded, as searching for GA books is addictive, but most importantly, extremely expensive.

I first started collecting GA books after the introduction of the Crippen collection. Before starting to collect GA books, the most I had ever spent on a book was $400 on a CGC 9.0 Amazing Spiderman #129. Now that I am into GA, I have spent literally thousands of dollars on books.

My advice is to review auction sites like Heritage to get an idea what is out there before investing large sums of money on books. There is so much great material out there, that (unless you are a millionaire) you will never be able to afford it all. Find a niche (specific title, genre, or title) that you like, and go after CGC'd books that you like. Depending on your preferences, CGC'd books may not be available, so use your discetion. I have found that books that have been CGC'd sell for prices comparable to what dealers will charge for books that are not CGC'd.

What I have found that my niche has expanded since the time period I have collecting GA books, and I am certain that yours will to. Just bring your pocket book smile.gif

I stared out 20 years ago so books at that time seemed cheap to me. Although I had no way of knowing that for certain, it did turn out to be the case. That did not, however, prevent me from making several mistakes in paying too much or buying from the wrong dealer, but did mean that I had time to gradually gain experience to offset the higher prices I was paying for comics.

I think it's great when someone finds a new collecting interest, but regardless of what type of item it is there is simply no substitute for experience. I suggest at least 6 months of research before making the first purchase. That will allow you time to see what generally is available via ebay, dealers, the boards, auction houses etc and what type of price they go for. There is very little chance you'll out on something significant by waiting as it doesn't sound like you're going after the best copy of some big key. There are always copies of books, even GA, if you're flexible on the condition you'll accept or you're willing to show a little patience.

A little knowledge also tends to lower the stress level, making the hobby fun -- which is what comics collecting ultimately should be about.

I am concerned with spending as well, as I have other goals in my life other than having a great collection. I have imposed a budget on myself, which is tough when I see great books like filter's Whiz 1 and know I could buy it. Christo_pull_hair.gif

If I want a certain book that is a multiple(s) of my monthly budget, I simply save up my monthly budget to acquire, or in the case of my last purchase (Captain Marvel Adventures 1), it blew my budget for the rest of the year. That part is tough, although every time I see a nice book I want I just pull out the #1 and I feel better cloud9.gif

If you stick to a plan, whether it be a budget or another limitation, it won't feel that scary--and that's one to grow on thumbsup2.gif

My first Golden age comic book purchase was actually one of the scarier moments of my life. I was 19 and had previously never spent more than probably $500 or so on a comic book. I threw in what I considered to be a thrill bid on a Superman 1 heritage was auctioning off on eBay because the price was sitting impossibly low. And I ended up winning it for almost $20k (I was making about $500/wk at the time) In the end it all turned out very positively for me.

my first GA book was action 1....$18K....store owner set me up on the year payment plan...$1500 a month for a year (before that, I had bought some AF15, and ASM1, but in the $2500 range)....was scary, too, but as filter pointed out, it worked out well...

The thing is, prior to my Rider 1 deal, the most I'd ever spent on a book was $250 (shipped.) (This was a Daredevil 1 for anyone that's interested.)

Now I'm about to blow those numbers out of the water for monthly spending, and to be honest, I'm completely nervous about it. Before, if I ever bought a book, the most I was out was $100 or so. Now, mind you, that's still money. But I'd get over it if I didn't like the book for some reason down the road.

I have been sick to my stomach every time I crossed a new threshold in spending. The first time I spent more than $20 on a book, more than $100 on a book, more than $1000 on a book, etc. I will say that the second purchase in each case has been a lot easier (maybe too easy 893scratchchin-thumb.gif)!

I was 19 and had previously never spent more than probably $500 or so on a comic book. I threw in what I considered to be a thrill bid on a Superman 1 heritage was auctioning off on eBay because the price was sitting impossibly low.

893whatthe.gif Dude, how old are you?!

If you're not spending all your disposable income on comic books, especially golden age, we need to have an intervention. My only regret is that I wasted so much money on new comics when I should have been buying Timelys.

I was 19 and had previously never spent more than probably $500 or so on a comic book. I threw in what I considered to be a thrill bid on a Superman 1 heritage was auctioning off on eBay because the price was sitting impossibly low.

24 gossip.gif

24 gossip.gif

Considering the books I know you've owned, all I can say is:

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

24 gossip.gif

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

24 gossip.gif

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Benefits of a classical education.

24 gossip.gif

I was 24 once.......Ah, good times, from what I can remember.

If you're not spending all your disposable income on comic books, especially golden age, we need to have an intervention. My only regret is that I wasted so much money on new comics when I should have been buying Timelys.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I am with Mike!

I have always liked the $100 or less books, as they are affordable, don't dent the wallet, and still look real cool in a mylar. cloud9.gif

With that said...the $500 books look great too, and the $1000 books, and the $2,500 books....even books worth $5000+ look great in mylar.......Now if I had any books that were worth 10K or more....I'd probably be saying they look nice in a mylar too.....like Filter81's Superman #1's or DetectiveKids TEC 27's. Buy what you like....then if you are left holding the bag, at least you like what's in it. thumbsup2.gif

My cash threshold has been broken since I found the boards....and it's all good...if you have a book that you don't like a year or two from now, you can always trade/sell/ or ebay it. With golden age, there are limited supply and so many new converts to bring into the fold of the GA dream. yay.gif