• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Canucks...has our high dollar put you in a buying spree?

32 posts in this topic

With a 92 cent plus dollar, are you on a buying spree now that everything seems like a bargain? And with some analysts predicting a dollar at par by the end of the year will your spree continue. Me, I'm spending like a madman. I'm lining up about $10,000 in deals in my head with some of the US dealers coming up to Toronto in a couple of weeks. To put it in perspective for our US brothers. 3 years ago our dollar was 62 cents compared to your dollar. To spend $1000 US, it cost us $1570 Canadian. To spend the same $1000 today, if would cost us under $1100. To put it in perspective even further, about 3 years ago I was going to pull the trigger on a really nice CGC 8.0 ASM #1 for $8500. Today if I bought one for $12,000 US, it would cost me less in my own currency than it would have 3 years ago...crazy. Talk about beating Overstreets gains in the last few years...it's like travelling back in time. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Jim

It absolutely has... we are at levels not seen in 30 years!!! As this is part of my career I have to watch and manage currency expectations for investors via options and futures all the time. Many economists and colleagues are looking for our dollar to continue to maintain high levels... grow to 93 cents USD by September...come down to 90 cents USD by the end of 2007. The possibility of parity by mid 2008 is strong with expectations of interest rate hikes in Canada while talk is the Feds will hold steady. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

This is pure speculation... do not make decisions based on economic guessing gossip.gif

I would love to buy more comics but having a hard time finding unique items that I don't already own. Also, price of gas at all-time high which prohibits 6 hr drives to/from USA regional comicons. Christo_pull_hair.gif

I'm buying too but realistically it's only good if the American Dollar Dwarfs our dollar again if we're looking to make an investment out of it or as r1970d said about moving to other countries for the sale. I remember buying a copy of ASM238 9.8 a few years back and I paid 450USD and that was $598CAD and the stamps and money order. I was out over 600 dollars CAD for this book. I got lucky when I sold my first ASM 9.8 collection and some wing bar and another wing nut smashed it up to over 800USD which I think was a record at the time for a 9.8 of 238 and may still be. Now this issue if I was to pay 450 I'd get it for 100 bucks cheaper. Good for collectors indeed and I'll be grabbing up a few books here and there but most people just raise their prices anyway.

Yes, I've made some nice purchase very recently. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Unfortunately, given my current collection focus, books of interest don't come up often 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That being said, by pro-actively working the eBay and CGC registry I have been able to identify 4 books that are eluding me 893crossfingers-thumb.gif ... but believe it or not although these books are dupes, the sellers are not in a hurry to sell them Christo_pull_hair.gif

This is driving me crazy, and money keeps piling on in my Paypal account frustrated.gif

Some U.S. collectors should definitely contribute in making the weel of capitalism turn (sell me your damn books!!!)

I am spending the same number of C$s as always, but it brings in a lot more books. From an American's perspective it must seem like I'm spending a lot more.

I agree with some of the comments about finding books to buy. Now that I have moved away from Bronze Age and only have a few Silvers left to buy my focus is on higher grade 50s books which don't come along often.

Mike

I am definitely looking at more items, but due to spending limitations right now (we just got in on a condo conversion for cheap in Edmonton) I am not buying as much as I would like to. Hopefully the loonie keeps rising - parity or better next year would be nice!

CAD $ is going further then it has ever done in the past 30 years. More bang (and items) for the buck yay.gif

The problem now is not the Canadian dollar but the Canadian wife sorry.gif

I remember when not too long ago the Can $ was as low as .64c to the U.S. dollar,and was making purchases.Now that it is almost even yes I'am finding some good deals online for some hardware upgrades for my pc.It may not last for long but buy,buy now...... takeit.gif and takeit.gif

Yes, but have the big publishers (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, DDP... etc...) have they lowered their cover price for Can$ ? or is a 2.99 US comic still 3.75 or something silly in canada...
It might be cheaper to order all new comics from US stores, even with shipping...