• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bound Volumes - Anyone ever take a bunch of comics and have them bound up in HC?

48 posts in this topic

I think professionals do this somewhat too with books they've made. At a WW Chicago charity auction a few years ago, there was a leather bound set of Spawn comics 1-100something with each volume signed by mcfarlane.

Yeah, I know of a few who have even ordered through Capitol. I think its a great way for them to highlight their work, or to give as gifts to a colleague. In fact, I am currently having bound a volume of the Superman daily newspaper strips to send to one of the writers at DC.

Very interesting. I had never considered bound volumes of comics before. Hrm. Having spent countless hours reading old bound issues of TV Guide, I can say from experience that the binding has to be very well done or else the individual volumes will literally fall out. Also of concern are brittle pages -- the edges of the pages chip off when you handle the bound volume -- and an inability to easily read the center pages.

Still, the examples at one of the linked websites look really nice.

Yeah, I think exposure to heat and light can damage books and make them brittle and such. The way Capitol sews the pages in, the books should not fall apart. If only glue was used - well, I can point to a number of DC tradepaperbacks that already are falling apart after only a few years. I keep my books behind glass and away from the sun, so they should last a while.

As a note, there have been 30-yr old bound volumes on ebay that still have held up great, and there have been some that are all brittle and hard to read. Like with any comic, I think it's all about how you take care of them.

great info binarysunrise. think i might try it out with some of my bronze avengers readers. interiors are fine but the covers are a bit suspect.

thanks again for the info.

I've been thinking of having this done with a bunch of my coverless semi key books that you tend to find on ebay for a few bucks each....I think you could make a real fun SA reading book.

At the risk of coming across like a *spoon* please look at my original post. I'm asking if anyone has done the binding themselves. Either literally themselves or hiring someone to do it.

--------------------------------------

Do you think you own this thread or something?

A question from a true collector....How do you bind CGC slabs though? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think this calls for a Flee Marquette special. thumbsup2.gif

At the risk of coming across like a *spoon* please look at my original post. I'm asking if anyone has done the binding themselves. Either literally themselves or hiring someone to do it.

I asked please? confused-smiley-013.gif

A discussion I had with a fellow Employee that relates..

My buddy: "This world does not revolve around you, you know!"

Me: "No, but this *spoon* ing place does!"

End of conversation.

grin.gif

27_laughing.gif

Could books be bound untrimmed and secured by a method that perhaps pinches the spines together without glue or stitching?

Dennis

Oh, I have seen an example at Capitol where they took a run of Cerebus comics, kept them in bags and boards, and created a slipcover/box to put them in. On your shelf it looks like a book I guess, but when you open it up, you have the individual comics there to read...

Could books be bound untrimmed and secured by a method that perhaps pinches the spines together without glue or stitching?

Dennis

Oh, I have seen an example at Capitol where they took a run of Cerebus comics, kept them in bags and boards, and created a slipcover/box to put them in. On your shelf it looks like a book I guess, but when you open it up, you have the individual comics there to read...

I thought that was for travelling around with them so they wouldn't get bumped around.