• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber value multipliers v. Overstreet

6 posts in this topic

Anyone use the value multipliers in Gerber when pricing a book? How about these used in conjunction with Overstreet since OS tends to group books in clumps which could include a Gerber 4 alongside a Gerber 7.

Does this make sense? Or should I just stop being a cheapass and buy myself a subscription to GPA for online price-guidance instead of trolling Heritage and eBay.

Anyone use the value multipliers in Gerber when pricing a book? How about these used in conjunction with Overstreet since OS tends to group books in clumps which could include a Gerber 4 alongside a Gerber 7.

Does this make sense? Or should I just stop being a cheapass and buy myself a subscription to GPA for online price-guidance instead of trolling Heritage and eBay.

If you'll do some searching you'll find thread regarding the reliability of Gerber scarcity rankings and Overstreet guide prices. I suspect that if you'll read through those you'll probably decide that if you are economy minded and willing to do a bit of research, you'll find that you're better off following prices in your niche via eBay, Heritage, GPA etc.

The only thing I use the Gerber multiplier for is relative comparisons at the time Gerber was published. It gives me a snapshot of how certain books may have been valued versus other books at the time the Photo Journal came out. You can compare that with today's values and see how tastes have changed, which books have lagged the last 15 years and which ones have shot up, relatively speaking. I don't know how accurate this all really is, but it's fun.