• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kirby Art! Let's see it...

71 posts in this topic

I've had my head buried in school books for a year, so I may not remember like I should.... but isn't that an unusual layout for Kirby? It's a beautiful page, and no doubt it's Kirby, but I really like that layout. It just seems different for "The King." Of course, everything he did was special......

thumbsup2.gif Absolutely -- that's what initially attracted me to this piece. It is early 1960s and has a somewhat unique layout with the 3 horizontal and 3 vert panels. Plus it's hard to see in this bad dark pic, but the detail work is exquisite. Of course, this issue was early so the goldrush of superhero titles wasn't in full effect. I often thought some of the pre-hero monster and pre-hero Western titles had such gorgeous art because the artists and inkers had more time to work on them. Maybe a bad hypothesis but there's a lot of quality art in that period.

That's an unusual layout for Kirby (btw, great page!), but one of Carmine Infantino's favorites from his work on Flash, Adam Strange, Strange Sport Stories etc.

hi.gif Adam, I've heard that before: that the layout is very Infantino-esque. confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's very unusual for Kirby, especially given that era. I don't think I've seen a lot of thin horizontal panels in his pages.

I can't recall any other examples of a Kirby layout like that. What year is that from?

I've had my head buried in school books for a year, so I may not remember like I should.... but isn't that an unusual layout for Kirby? It's a beautiful page, and no doubt it's Kirby, but I really like that layout. It just seems different for "The King." Of course, everything he did was special......

thumbsup2.gif Absolutely -- that's what initially attracted me to this piece. It is early 1960s and has a somewhat unique layout with the 3 horizontal and 3 vert panels. Plus it's hard to see in this bad dark pic, but the detail work is exquisite. Of course, this issue was early so the goldrush of superhero titles wasn't in full effect. I often thought some of the pre-hero monster and pre-hero Western titles had such gorgeous art because the artists and inkers had more time to work on them. Maybe a bad hypothesis but there's a lot of quality art in that period.

That's an unusual layout for Kirby (btw, great page!), but one of Carmine Infantino's favorites from his work on Flash, Adam Strange, Strange Sport Stories etc.

hi.gif Adam, I've heard that before: that the layout is very Infantino-esque. confused-smiley-013.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's very unusual for Kirby, especially given that era. I don't think I've seen a lot of thin horizontal panels in his pages.

I can't recall any other examples of a Kirby layout like that. What year is that from?

Rawhide Kid 25, December 1961. So just at the birth of the Marvel Super-Hero universe (FF 1 was published Nov 1961). This story may have been sitting in the article bank for a while though, who knows. But when you compare this story to the art in FF1, you can see what a difference the inking makes. I've long appreciated the Westerns for the clean, detailed artwork.

This post relates to Markav's of 5/31. I am new to OA, but have had this page from the same book, page 18, for many years: Thor161p-1.jpg. At the time, I knew nothing about preserving OA, so I had it framed on a wall in my home that faced the sun, so it is in horrible shape. Anyway, live and learn. Your piece is great, Markav.

This post relates to Markav's of 5/31. I am new to OA, but have had this page from the same book, page 18, for many years: Thor161p-1.jpg. At the time, I knew nothing about preserving OA, so I had it framed on a wall in my home that faced the sun, so it is in horrible shape. Anyway, live and learn. Your piece is great, Markav.

That's a splendid piece you have there but you need to have it restored by a pro of OA.

What you need to have removed:

- Acid Yellow color of paper, getting back PH to neutral

- remove of all the tapes, and replace them when necessary (on the back)

You might loose:

- all the markers notes,

- some of the stamps ink (front and back)

- As I can see, you probably have magic tape on the bottom right corner over the art, it has to be removed, only a OA restoration pro can do it safely.

What you will get:

- Page will be White again

- All the pencils will be there

- All the art inks will be there

- All the white out will be there

And finally again, only a pro who knows comic book art can do the work, don't give the piece to a comic book restorer, restoring comic books and OA is a very different thing.

To be the best in art restoration business don't give you time to be good in Color and in Black & White, the techniques are so different.

If you was from Europe I could have help you more as I know people working for National museums, but you are in the USA, so good luck but this piece urgently needs restoration.

My 2 cents.

Fred

Nice to see another page from the book, and a great page at that.

Thanks for the info, Fred.

When you say "urgently", do you mean that the deterioration is moving quickly and I need to move fast to restore the piece, or do you mean that it's just pretty bad off?

Anyone on these Boards have a suggestion for a US-based pro in OA who does this sort of work?

comicjunkie:

Sorry you can't see it. It's the first attachment I have sent, so I may have done it wrong. I uploaded the scan file to Photobucket.com and pasted on the Board post the following URL that Photobucket provided, which is coded as IMG code for Forums and Bulletin Boards: Thor161p-1.jpg.

That's all I know. If somebody has a suggestion to do this better, please let me know.

Thanks for the info, Fred.

When you say "urgently", do you mean that the deterioration is moving quickly and I need to move fast to restore the piece, or do you mean that it's just pretty bad off?

Anyone on these Boards have a suggestion for a US-based pro in OA who does this sort of work?

Roger Hill does art restoration, but I've no idea if 'whitening' discolored art is a part of his skill in this field?

comicjunkie:

Sorry you can't see it. It's the first attachment I have sent, so I may have done it wrong. I uploaded the scan file to Photobucket.com and pasted on the Board post the following URL that Photobucket provided, which is coded as IMG code for Forums and Bulletin Boards: Thor161p-1.jpg.

That's all I know. If somebody has a suggestion to do this better, please let me know.

Bloody hell Gasa, thats a terrific Thor page. If thers a process that can reverse the browning and stop it from turning to crumbs, i'd do it.

Clem...