• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect.com

170 posts in this topic

Who is going to be the first to get their books graded by www.comicconnect.com ?

http://www.comicconnect.com/load_page.php?page=grading_service

Our Service Structure:

• $100 minimum charge.

• $1 for comics worth under $50.

• $3 for comics worth over $50.

Who is going to be the first to get their books graded by www.comicconnect.com ?

Our Service Structure:

• $100 minimum charge.

This is too easy, so I'll refrain. grin.gif

Our Service Structure:

• $100 minimum charge.

This is too easy, so I'll refrain. grin.gif

c'mon poke2.gif let it out....

I for one will not eat the 3% plus 10% commission fee on the final payment. Ebay still has this beat. foreheadslap.gif

As a seller, the reason to eat the extra cash on the consignment sites (Pedigree, ComicLink, ComicConnect) is because of the guarantee to the user that they will receive their comic and the higher prices this garners as compared to the E-Bay model, which is a benefit Heritage has been profiting from for years. I'm not going to buy a $1000 to $50,000 book on E-Bay unless it's from an absolutely recognized seller who I know isn't going to screw me. With E-Bay, there's always the risk of a scam; that risk is eliminated with consignment sites. They're getting their cut for the work they do in receiving books and shipping them on to the buyer.

The place they don't have beat yet is Pedigree's 8% fee, which undercut ComicLink's 10% fee.

I'm not going to buy a $1000 to $50,000 book on E-Bay unless it's from an absolutely recognized seller who I know isn't going to screw me.

I'm at the point now where I'm not going to buy a $50 book on Ebay unless it's from a recognized seller who isn't going to screw me.

I for one will not eat the 3% plus 10% commission fee on the final payment. Ebay still has this beat. foreheadslap.gif

As a seller, the reason to eat the extra cash on the consignment sites (Pedigree, ComicLink, ComicConnect) is because of the guarantee to the user that they will receive their comic and the higher prices this garners as compared to the E-Bay model, which is a benefit Heritage has been profiting from for years. I'm not going to buy a $1000 to $50,000 book on E-Bay unless it's from an absolutely recognized seller who I know isn't going to screw me. With E-Bay, there's always the risk of a scam; that risk is eliminated with consignment sites. They're getting their cut for the work they do in receiving books and shipping them on to the buyer.

The place they don't have beat yet is Pedigree's 8% fee, which undercut ComicLink's 10% fee.

Pedigree raised their fee to 10% I believe.

Yes, Pedigree raised their fee to 10%.

One thing to keep in mind is that different venues are better than others for moving different types of books.

I know Pedigree is good at moving HG SA Marvels. Comiclink seemed a little slower at helping me move a few books while they seem to be better at moving other types/styles of books.

it really is in the best interest of the seller to provide as much info and detail as possible if they want to realize the best price.

When scans are small and details few, I have to assume the seller is hiding something and I simply move on. Anyone to lazy/stupid/cheep to post nice high res scans on high $ books should be relegated to Ebay.

ComicConnect doesn't want to be too "Big Brotherish" by strong-arming CGC sellers to have a good, big scan, but...

....why not? This is what the buyer wants; large scans and info.

Then there's the listings with no scans....what's up with that? Like I'm gonna jump on those book right away!

For my genre, the upper mid to high end sellers have abandon ebay. Okay, whatever works for them however, you let them drop their books on your site with the same respect as that given to ebay? Nothing good can come from that approach, trash talkin' the least of it.

Try handicapping the buyer instead of the seller, in this regard.

This goes for ComicLink also.

I posted this in another thread, but since ComicConnect is being compared to the other (2) major consignment sites maybe this will assist the discussion:

In reference to Bid Canceling on all (3) sites:

on ComicLink if a buyer cancels a bid, he/she is no longer obligated to honor it but the bid remains visible (and presumably current to other potential bidders) for as long as the listing remains, unless the item is re-introduced to the system as a new listing.

on PedigreeComics if a buyer cancels a bid, its instantly removed. There is often no, (and at worst, much less) "guess work" discerning an offers current validity. The only doubt would be (as would be on any site) "older bids" from bidders who neglected to retract/cancel offers they no longer plan on, or should have to (due to the length of time) honor.

on ComicConnect "looks like" (need further clarification) ... if a seller offers a counteroffer to a buyer's bid, that buyer is temporarily given advantage over other potential bidders to consider the seller's counter before another "offer" is entered... unless a "buy it now" at the original full ask is selected. This is rather ingenious IMO as the buyer that is "johnny on the spot" and makes the first offer (that the seller is inclined to respond to) is rewarded with an exclusive counter offer opportunity over others that want to negotiate as well. At the same time, the seller's position (in most cases) would be enhanced at least temporarily because other potential buyers will see that they have a "gun to their head" and will be forced to consider their positions and act fast (hit BIN) or potentially lose the item. Back to point: I'm not clear on how the "offer/canceled offer" dynamic will work on CC. Anyone know?

From a seller's perspective, (and with all of ComicConnect's structures and policies somewhat undetermined at this point) I think ComicLink's bidding structure is more advantageous in most instances. A "visible retracted bid" provides both a reference point to the seller's sales position as well as leverage against other potential buyer(s) simply because they don't know if the displayed offer is "active/valid" or not and also must bid higher than that amount. Obviously, many buyers are influenced by competing buyers' "willingness to buy" at whatever price. There is a psychological "comfort zone" factor to consider (similar to one of the dynamics ComicConnect's "exclusive counter offer" opportunity creates). In some cases, buyers that may have decided on a "ceiling" for a particular book, could make the decision to go higher based solely on the "visible, but retracted bid" and the assumption that there IS current demand at that price. The bid however, "could be" off the table and months upon months old... and that same bidder could be unwilling to buy at that bid "in the now" if he had the opportunity. Whether a "visible, but retracted bid" is "fair" or "misleading" to a buyer is certainly debatable. My feeling is, if an offer is retracted by a buyer, it should either be removed shortly afterward, or at worst have a (48-72 hour) delay before expiring. In regards to CL specifically, perhaps a retracted bid could "change color" or become "italic" so it serves its explained purpose (as being a "reference point" for future bids), but at the same time is evident to buyers that its not a "current/active" offering. That would create a more balanced playing field IMHO. Note: that said, I've bought plenty from CL even though I do object to this particular policy.

As a buyer, I'm heavily in favor of PedigreeComics bidding structure where I can control my bids/offers in real time and utilize a full range of negotiating tactics. If I feel I've made a strong/realistic offer and the seller does not respond, rejects, or counters too high... I can let him/her know where I stand immediately. I can withdraw the offer so its not sitting there for his leverage benefit... eliminating the psychological "comfort zone" for other potential bidders. I can temporarily withdraw my offer, and enter the same bid (or a little higher or lower depending) again at a later date. If no other bids higher than my previous have occurred in the interim, then I have a little more leverage when re-entering my bid. The seller will now have to consider the offer as being potentially a "limited time offer" and there will also be more at stake from a counter offer perspective. Reject a fair offer, or go too high on the counter... the bidder may walk (with his bid). I feel more deals "are encouraged" to be completed by this system as its more balanced. This also works in a seller's favor sometimes even if he/she may not realize it until later. In my case, there have been instances where as a seller on PedigreeComics, I've been too stubborn and/or aggressive with my pricing only to eventually sell at near (or even less) than some bids that were made earlier and then withdrawn. Understanding this, now, I sell more often when offers are "closer" to my goal where I may have otherwise stood pat and waited. In many of these instances when I've made the sale (instead of held), I've noticed future sales (in all venues) on the books in question going lower. More in fact went lower than higher. Lesson learned... "try to make a deal when its close", waiting for a better offer can just as easily (if not more so) work against you especially when/if there's been a perceived market change. All's it takes in some cases is (1) lower eBay sale.

Another buyer benefit at Pedigree... I LOVE that when I hit a "Buy it Now", I know I won the book instantly. No stressful waiting period to see if someone else hit it too and now we both/all may be waiting for the seller to check his email and let one of us know. I've lost a couple nice books on CL like this and it was both stressful waiting... and a disappointment when I was informed it was sold to someone else and no longer available. Recently, I hit a BIN on CL and I did get notification that the book was mine the next day... but the waiting period was not very fun. Of course losing a book in such fashion is much worse. (CL Seller Question: can a CL seller that receives multiple BINs "choose" which one to accept regardless of who hit it first?).

Realistically, all consignment sites are challenged to create a balanced environment where neither sellers or buyers feel "too much" at disadvantage from the other side of the negotiation. If a system is in place that favors sellers... some buyers may elect to take some/all of their business elsewhere. The converse is also true. Its a difficult balance to strike. I imagine some use one site over the other to sell more and may buy more from the other. In some cases, maybe on principal alone. Of course this has a lot to do with available stock at any particular time. However, the perception as to where one feels they have the best advantage in either the selling or buying scenario is where most will choose to go for the most part. If there's a book you have to have as a buyer however... all bets are off.

A few quick comments about ComicConnect from the position of a potential buyer.

I think the absence of a "Sort By" feature for "Grade" is very limiting for collectors such as myself that in many cases have "minimum grade" interests and do not want to have to waste time sorting through a multitude of material that does not fall in our preferred specific search criteria. This is the only major flaw I see from my perspective as a potential buyer. I have not reviewed or attempted to sell anything as of yet so I have no comment in that regard.

For reference, both ComicLink and PedigreeComics (and Highgradecomics too) allow a buyer to narrow their search in this regard. In most cases, because PedigreeComics does not sell "raw material" and features (mostly high grade Marvel 9.4 and up) material that I enjoy perusing, I personally am not annoyed that I cannot further trim my search by… "sorting grade AND date listed" simultaneously. This "would be" a problem for me on CL because of the diversity and volume of material... but to their credit ComicLink designed an "Advanced Sort" feature that is the most powerful and useful search around allowing me to streamline my searches and not waste any of my time.

In my view, having a search tool of CL's caliber is more than necessary for a site (like ComicConnect) that will carry a full range of raw and graded material. I for one do not enjoy being forced to look at material I have no interest in, any more than I enjoy having to watch a commercial at a movie theater. I'm assuming not providing an advanced "sort by grade" feature was an oversight by ComicConnect, but I'm not positive. It "may" be by design... hoping the viewer will (have to) stay longer to see (go through more than he may want to) to eventually locate what he has interest in. In doing so, the idea "could" be that potential buyers may stumble across something they know others may want and utilize CC's innovative (and very cool) "send item to a friend" feature. In some instances where I have more time and am looking to help others find material, this would be useful. Realistically however, I would like to make that choice about how to spend my time looking for books for other people. I could be all together off base here, but it seems that a great deal of thought went into creating ComicConnect and its hard for me to imagine this particular sort feature was overlooked when they developed clever features like the "exclusive counter offer" and "send item to a friend", etc.

I'm assuming not providing an advanced "sort by grade" feature was an oversight by ComicConnect, but I'm not positive. It "may" be by design... hoping the viewer will (have to) stay longer to see (go through more than he may want to) to eventually locate what he has interest in.

I think they don’t have a “sort by grade” option by design. Metropolis’ website doesn’t have that feature either. When they were asking for feedback when they launched that website, I told them that it would be great to have a “sort by grade” option. They told me (and I’m working from memory here) that they had discussions about it and decided not to have that feature. The belief was that people do buy books in lower grades than they’re looking for. And if they don’t see the books, they obviously won’t buy them. There’s probably some truth to that. But for me, not being able to search by grade is really a big bummer.

Good suggestion at least Arex

Going that route *helps* trim the fat in very specific search scenarios (by individual Title and/or Issue #, then by Price), but not by enough to represent any significant time savings in my view.

Basically, anything I tried was a far cry from efficient when you want to search by broader categories like... "See All Comics Available", "See All Comics for Auction", or "See All Comics for Sale".

For those that will check the site out for an extended time initially to thoroughly familiarize themselves with the current offerings and then plan on "popping in" daily and keep up with the New Listings... that doesn't appear to be a quick and easy task either.

You can only search that category with the one level deep pull down: Time: Newest Listed. Unless I'm missing something, you have to view everything confused-smiley-013.gif. Right now, when the volume is relatively low... its not a big issue. Looking forward to presumably a far greater amount of new listings, having to look at everything would be a nuisance for me personally.

"SCROLLING COMIC TICKER

There's a cool feature that displays on this area of the site, but

your web browser isn't able to support it. To view, try this site on

a recent version of Mozilla Firefox (Mac & PC) or Microsoft Explorer (PC only).

Note: This is the only feature of the site that requires a recent browser."

C'mon- let's show the Mac-Safari users a little love here! frustrated.gif

I wonder if ComicConnect will ask sellers to change prices on clearly overpriced books? This is one of the things that made Yahoo Auctions terrible--with no listing fee, people would listed overpriced *spoon* there over and over, making it pointless to keep checking back there. There was no disincentive to posting poor listings, and they polluted the inventory available there terribly.

If you make it TOO easy for sellers to list and provide no supervision, the listings may become awful.

I wonder if ComicConnect will ask sellers to change prices on clearly overpriced books? This is one of the things that made Yahoo Auctions terrible--with no listing fee, people would listed overpriced *spoon* there over and over, making it pointless to keep checking back there. There was no disincentive to posting poor listings, and they polluted the inventory available there terribly.

If you make it TOO easy for sellers to list and provide no supervision, the listings may become awful.

That's what the bidding process is for. It's up to you to make a reasonable offer.

Hey everyone and thanks so much for the plethora of feedback.

ComicConnect has been seeing some great activity & sales lately on HG SA titles such as Spider-Man & Avengers as well as GA titles like Detective Comics & Batman.

We are currently working on a new & improved home page new-book ticker that will work wonders in all browsers.

We love hearing your suggestions & comments and we're developing an FAQ section based on them to better assist members in the future. Here are a few answers to your questions:

Q: How do I cancel a bid?

A: Once you confirm placing a bid you are required to complete the purchase. Before placing a bid you are reminded that "if your offer is accepted, you are obligated to purchase the book." However, on the rare occasion of a "huge mistake" such as entering $1,000,000 instead of $100,000, please call us and of course we will correct the mistake.

Q: How do cancelled/rejected/unaccepted offers work?

A: There is no limit to the amount of offers that a seller can receive, however the seller is only shown the highest offer. If the seller chooses to, he/she may enter a counter-offer with the member who has placed the highest offer. During a counter-offer, the only way other members can purchase that book is to choose the Buy Now option at the seller's listing price. Once a counter-offer has been rejected or expired (expires in 48 hours) other buyers are permitted to make new offers. The total amount of offers that have been made are shown on the listing as, for example, "5 offers". At the moment, the value of the offer(s) are not shown -- we are considering expanding the way cancelled offers function in the future.

Q: What are the ComicConnect seller policies?

A: Beginning in September 2007, there will be a 10% commission retained from the proceeds of the sale. You may read more about the ComicConenct seller polices at www.comicconnect.com/load_page.php?page=sellcomics.

Q: Does ComicConnect supervise the listing of books to weed out the overpriced material?

A: ComicConnect does not restrict members to price their books at any certain value. On the other hand, when a buyer receives multiple offers for much less than he/she is asking, that will be a signal to the seller to reconsider their pricing strategy (aka Adam Smith's "Invisible Hand").

Jason Trobman

ComicConnect.com