• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-MEN / GIANT SIZE # 1 PAGE

90 posts in this topic

BO -

Thanks for responding to a post that was addressed to someone else.

Nevertheless, I agree with you. Comics and heroes are hot right now.

This affects OA valuations right now. OA is hot right now. But you have yet to find anything (other than your own prior posts) to support your repeated contentions that OA will continue to appreciate in value at the current rate, or that OA will someday reach fine art valuations. The main gist of my post was that it seems unlikely. For although OA is undoubtedly increasing in value, it is not increasing as fast as fine art. Rather it is increasing at a proportionally slower rate. Closer to that of commodity goods, such as milk, butter and gasoline.

For example, gasoline has increased in price about 200% in the last 7 years. That's an even greater appreciation in cost than many pieces of OA. Will gasoline reach fine art valuations soon? I don't think so.

As for the other comments in your post, you draw conclusions that I was unwilling to make. I only posed the questions, because, unlike you, I really don't know what the future will foretell. So, I am not in a position to answer those questions right now.

Best regards.

- A

You wanna believe comics need to survive for OA to survive,...keep on believing it....but where the hell did you pull this theorem from - your ?

You are a sloppy thinker...and I have no time for sloppy thinks!

The only sloppy thinker here is you. Comic book characters may not need comics to survive, but OA needs comics to survive. No regular Joe goes into a theater to see Spider-Man 3 and comes out wanting to buy a $25K Ditko Spidey page. I mean, even $pidey himself, Tobey Maguire, is nowhere to be found in the hobby (and, if he is around, he isn't exactly making a splash as "the usual suspects" keep getting all the best stuff like those 6 "Kraven's Last Hunt" books that recently sold). Someone who becomes a rabid Spidey fan through the movies is more likely to want to acquire a piece of the movie (e.g., movie posters, DVDs, props) than comics, let alone going one derivative farther into the OA.

How many OA collectors out there weren't big comic book fans first? How many weren't intimately familiar with the source material? Who here collects OA because of watching any of these superhero movies while never reading comics?

We've had this conversation/ debate/ argument before....remember,..I ran circles around ya? Lets give it a rest, puhleeze.

Just saying something is so, doesn't make it so, d-bag. 893naughty-thumb.gif

BO -

Dele is right.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but in all the threads you've written under all your pseudonyms, the only person you've impressed has been yourself.

It's possible you've missed the witty replies (pictures of broken records, photoshopped Krazy Kat doing krazy things, etc.), but from an objective vantage point, it does not seem as if most are laughing with you.

Complementing your lack of popular support is your quick use of foul language and frustration when others make points you apparently can't (or won't allow yourself to) comprehend.

Contrary to your assertion, these responses are not the mark of someone who "ran circles" around the other person in debate.

A typing class and perhaps a lesson or two in sentence structure and syntax may also help you.

- A

BO -

Dele is right.

Maybe you haven't noticed, but in all the threads you've written under all your pseudonyms, the only person you've impressed has been yourself.

It's possible you've missed the witty replies (pictures of broken records, photoshopped Krazy Kat doing krazy things, etc.), but from an objective vantage point, it does not seem as if most are laughing with you.

Complementing your lack of popular support is your quick use of foul language and frustration when others make points you apparently can't (or won't allow yourself to) comprehend.

Contrary to your assertion, these responses are not the mark of someone who "ran circles" around the other person in debate.

A typing class and perhaps a lesson or two in sentence structure and syntax may also help you.

- A

You are a boring 'Turkey Macaroon' & a sloppy thinker. You & deli are clearly the uncool kids in school. Go away.

Hal doesnt agree with me.,...but at least the boys got style & a mind of his own. You actually wanna silence me. That makes you pretty lame.

I cant believe your best arguments are to bemoan my use of the word...(oh my god),...'a$$'............and my syntax & grammar.

Why are you so frickin' lame?

Seriously.

No joke.

You & deli are clearly the uncool kids in school.

So says the guy who spends all of his time creating shills on an Internet message board for the sole purpose of trying to pump up the value of his comic book art collection. yeahok.gifscrewy.gifforeheadslap.gif

BO -

We find ourselves in agreement again. Hal is a great guy.

You misunderstand me, I don't want to silence you.

The villain is the star of the board.

Just not for the reasons you think.

- A

BO -

We find ourselves in agreement again. Hal is a great guy.

You misunderstand me, I don't want to silence you.

The villain is the star of the board.

Just not for the reasons you think.

- A

You cant even be consistent in your positions & principles. Look in a mirror boy,...u r a disgrace.

BO -

You apparently write these things because your reading comprehension skills are not at the point where you can understand that I am not being inconsistent.

Maybe next time I'll use smaller words to make it easier for you.

- A

ER is a real force of nature right now.

I think I am going to quit collecting and just pretend he is my agent buying these things for my collection....living vicariously is the next best thing to actually living.......I guess sorry.gif

I think we need to be careful about lumping together "fine art" when we're talking about it being worth millions, because "fine art" is such a subjective, all-encompassing subject. The majority of fine artists won't sell for millions a pop- in fact, it's pretty rare to find more than a handful of modern artists, relatively speaking, that can command the upper multi-million dollar auction bids being thrown about here.

I do think there is eventual upside to the OA market (I usually prefer the painters, but it's not exclusive), but I see two things that work against the comics art market and it's eventual ascent to the moon:

1)Too much supply. As we've seen, most of the highest prices for comics OA (and modern art) is a function of supply and demand. The very nature of the comics business works against it in this way- the higher profile (and generally, better) artists will continue to get MORE work, and in some cases, will just flat out sell all of it the minute it hits the desk. Alex Ross is a perfect example of this. Compare this to the "boiler room" modern art scene where, once an artist is deemed worthy to take part, you have multi-millionaires and billionaires being told they CAN'T get that artists work. That creates demand among deep-pocketed buyers, and once the floodgates are released (courtesy of Sotheby's, Christie's, or a high-end gallery), the prices go through the roof. Imagine what a Jasper Johns painting would go for if he'd painted, and immediately sold 3 paintings a month, every month, for 20 years. Imagine if Klimt had produced more paintings than Jeff Jones.

2)Which brings me to my next point, and that's this- there hasn't been enough time. Like "fine art", you're going to see the prices of many comics OA go nowhere over time. It's easy to bring up the success of Da Vinci, Raphael, etc, but many of those pieces are invaluable because they're hundreds of years old, unique, and are masterpieces. In order to have a fair comparison, not only would the cover to Detective 27, Action 1, or Marvel one have to be sold- we'd have to track it's sales history over 100 years or so and then track things. The hobby is too young to draw any conclusions.

But, all isn't lost- because there's enough time for young punks like me to observe the sales history of Frank Frazetta in the coming decades- who's comics' only real hope of cracking the multi-million dollar marks (albeit for his fantasy work), but that's just my 2 cents.

Unfortunately, this is now the going rate for the GS 1 X-Men interior pages. It will probably receive one bid before closing to someone that really wants a GS original...

893whatthe.gif

Ciao!

PRC

As always, right on the money.

PRC can you predict the stock market too?

Can I retain you for financial advice in my OA purchasing decisions (except, of course, for the pieces I fall in love with, then all bets are off).

I'm impressed!

You & deli are clearly the uncool kids in school.

So says the guy who spends all of his time creating shills on an Internet message board for the sole purpose of trying to pump up the value of his comic book art collection. yeahok.gifscrewy.gifforeheadslap.gif

The artwork he claims to have belongs to another.