• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seeking advice: what would you do?

9 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am considering attaining my grail book and I am wondering if you would buy a CGC 1.0, or a CGC 4.0 extensive (P) restored for the same price? The 4.0 grade looks way better of course visually and presents nicely, but it is restored. Consider that I will never sell the book, and am only getting it to own it and complete my collection of the title. It is about all I can afford at the moment. For discussion purposes say the book is an FF #1.

Thoughts?

Thanks all

Artboy99

Honestly, if you're not planning to flip then whatever you'd be happier with. If you're thinking of liquidity of investment down the road, however, I think it depends on the age of the book. A GA key I'd buy restored no problem. A SA book I probably wouldn't touch ever. That's my opinion, though. I'm sure you'll hear lots of others.

I've done it. I personally picked a heavily restored FF 1 in VF and paid the VG price for it and I know I'm happier with what I got. I decided to do so, only for the fact it looked a lot nicer.

Also, had and have no plans of selling...ever.

Quite agree with Rob... If the grail is a GA book, I'd have no problem with the restored VG. If it's an SA book, that would be trickier and I'd slightly favor the unrestored Fair in the abstract, but it would have to be "the right kind of Fair" (i.e. no horrible stains, chunks missing, decent PQ, etc).

But in general, I have no problem with restored books if the resto makes an unattainable grail obtainable! thumbsup2.gif

i seem to always strayed away from choosing restored books, but if it's a golden age that i probably couldn't afford for the same grade unrestored i might. though the only two i would ever consider for personal copies would be af 15 and asm 1.

A great question. My personal choice would be to buy the restored book, because I hate books in that low of a grade.

Now, if the choice were a VG unrestored and a VF restored for the same price, I would definitely take the VG unrestored.

It is a Grail. One would want it the best looking it can possibly be. You are not buying it to flip. It is for the vault-like part of one's collection that will form the essence of the Viking funeral should one peg out from this existence.

Hell, I've got a couple of keys (not telling) that I am seriously considering getting some pro work done. I will never sell them, but I'd like them to look "nicer".

What would you rather hang on the wall, a Marvel chipped, well worn Fair+ or a professionally restored, great looking book that even your non-comic friends will go "Oh, that's nice. I use to have one just like it".

I do like the thread,though, creates a bit of debate, despite the fact it is not about pressing.

893applaud-thumb.gif

at the lower grades on silver age keys, there's not that much of a price jump betwen plods and blue label anyway (below 3.0/4.0)

the massive differentials come in at fine or better on keys