• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This guy is a little weird, but he's got some great GA comics.

74 posts in this topic

Just a little kooky, but a heck of a collection.

According to GPA there was a sale of Batman #6 in 7.0 for $1700 in May. That would coincide with the time frame of his video posts. Not a bad price to buy a 7.0 for.

Does anyone remember seeing or bidding on that particular book?

Fascinating. He has some great GA books on display...looks like he shops at Metropolis and eBay alot. I really admire his passion for comics! You can tell he loves his books...not just in it for "investment" or just another hobby.

Curious... Do we sound like this when showing our GA collections to friends/people who aren't in the hobby? You guys know what I'm talking about. They see us gush over our own books saying "...oh, here's a real beauty!" and "...graded nine-point-oh, highest on the census!" and "...I just love that Hitler on the cover!". wink.gif

Do you prefer the mellow approach ("...yeah, here's a nice Action Comics #7 with Superman.) or the dramatic ("...check out this awesome Human Torch #8, the Submariner battle cover in unbelievable 8.5...jeez, I love this book!) What kind of reactions have your had? confused-smiley-013.gif

GE

Non collectors eyes always glaze over quickly when I've talked to them about comics. I've had geekier converstations with collectors than this guys performance. Everyone acts differently in front of a camera and a handheld one in an private setting allows for a lot of his behavior but my initial thought after getting through the first page of this thread was: " Let he who is without any comic collector weirdness cast the first stone."

Fascinating. He has some great GA books on display...looks like he shops at Metropolis and eBay alot. I really admire his passion for comics! You can tell he loves his books...not just in it for "investment" or just another hobby.

Curious... Do we sound like this when showing our GA collections to friends/people who aren't in the hobby? You guys know what I'm talking about. They see us gush over our own books saying "...oh, here's a real beauty!" and "...graded nine-point-oh, highest on the census!" and "...I just love that Hitler on the cover!". wink.gif

Do you prefer the mellow approach ("...yeah, here's a nice Action Comics #7 with Superman.) or the dramatic ("...check out this awesome Human Torch #8, the Submariner battle cover in unbelievable 8.5...jeez, I love this book!) What kind of reactions have your had? confused-smiley-013.gif

GE

I don't have that problem with my collection wink.gif

"Oh, here's a real ugly. Yeah, here is my fair copy of Challengers of the Unknown #1. If graded, this would be lowest on the census with only 45 higher graded copies."

My conversations regarding my collecting comics usually goes something like this;

me: I collect comics

other person: wow, I bet you have some good ones.

me: yep I do have some good ones.

other person: cool. my (fill in the blank) used to collect/have/save/ comics, but (fill in the blank) threw them away/burned them/lost them.

me: uhhuh

other person: <changes subject>

No one cares exactly what I have nor do I ever try to tell them.

I love when I tell people I'm going to a comic convention and they think I'm a comedian. This is usually followed by the "I remember when comics were a nickel." Tonight, I chased off my girl when I started highlighting the BangZoom thread's contents.. wait, wait, hold on, do you know how hard it is to get an All American 16 in that condition? 27_laughing.gif. confused-smiley-013.gif

He has some amazing books and I am glad he decided to share them with the world. I will never have anything remotely as nice as he has and more power to him if he is happy. He is no more odd than the typical homeowner that I deal with in my line of work. He did say that he was showing off the books in his spare bedroom. Up until 2 months ago when I converted a spare bedroom into a kick-azz nursery, his room appears to be less cluttered than mine was. Spare bedrooms tend to attract alot of junk.

Sure, he is a little basic when dealing with bodily functions, but who here doesn't fart or use colorful language from time to time. (See....I just used some colorful language) Stop being so judgemental of this guy. He has something that he is really proud of and is obviously educated on their importance and worth. He is no different than the rest of us when you come down to it.

Scott

I bet you farted while typing that.