• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink / Pedigree sellers.

32 posts in this topic

I'm fine with someone putting crazy asking prices on their books, I've done it from time to time.

I do wish the bid price would be removed once the seller has outright declined it. I understand why Comiclink needs to leave the bid in place in order to help drive the offers up. Of course as a seller I like this feature, but I hate it when my "respectable" bid is declined as if it were a lowball or from left field and the bid sits there on the book, even though the bid is not active.

what I don't like is if I find a book I want, pop the BIN price, only to find out that book is no longer available!...I think sellers should have to be responsible or at least held accountable for leaving books up that are not available...I have no problem if they sell them via other venues , or change their mind, but don't get my hopes up! frown.gif

gator

I had something similar happen to me recently...basically ComicLink has a race condition issue that makes these types of situations happen. I talked to Tomis and agree it is something they need to address...so they are listening. thumbsup2.gif

ComicConnect avoids this problem by preventing any further bids until the existing one is dealt with...and I think they took notice.

what I don't like is if I find a book I want, pop the BIN price, only to find out that book is no longer available!...I think sellers should have to be responsible or at least held accountable for leaving books up that are not available...I have no problem if they sell them via other venues , or change their mind, but don't get my hopes up!

gator

Had that problem with Archangel... Went to buy the B&B #114 and got an email stating it was sold. But on the site it was still available. confused-smiley-013.gif

what I don't like is if I find a book I want, pop the BIN price, only to find out that book is no longer available!...I think sellers should have to be responsible or at least held accountable for leaving books up that are not available...I have no problem if they sell them via other venues , or change their mind, but don't get my hopes up!

gator

Had that problem with Archangel... Went to buy the B&B #114 and got an email stating it was sold. But on the site it was still available. confused-smiley-013.gif

I had the same problem twice with C'link and once with Archangles. All on SA Captain America Pedigrees. The first time It happened, I was a little pizzed about it, but I can see how it could be hard to police by Comiclink. As far as Archangels, I assume it was their own inventory (maybe not), so it seemed a little unprofessional.

Had that problem with Archangel... Went to buy the B&B #114 and got an email stating it was sold. But on the site it was still available.

Me too! There was a great copy of HOM 217 raw and it was already sold. Really put a bad taste in my mouth. mad.gif

I like the declined bids staying posted. It gives a better reference for an initial bid. What I don't like are the books that sold a year ago still being listed with the current books. Move them to an archive section. sign-rantpost.gif

One clarification...

on ComicLink if a buyer cancels a bid, he/she is no longer obligated to honor it but the bid remains visible (and presumably current to other potential bidders) for as long as the listing remains, unless the item is re-introduced to the system as a new listing.

on PedigreeComics if a buyer cancels a bid, its instantly removed. There is often no, (and at worst, much less) "guess work" discerning an offers current validity. The only doubt would be (as would be on any site) "older bids" from bidders who neglected to retract/cancel offers they no longer plan on, or should have to (due to the length of time) honor.

on ComicConnect "looks like" (need further clarification)... if a seller offers a counteroffer to a buyer's bid, that buyer is temporarily given advantage over other potential bidders to consider the seller's counter before another "offer" is entered... unless a "buy it now" at the original full ask is selected. This is rather ingenious IMO as the buyer that is "johnny on the spot" and makes the first offer (that the seller is inclined to respond to) is rewarded with an exclusive counter offer opportunity over others that want to negotiate as well. At the same time, the seller's position (in most cases) would be enhanced at least temporarily because other potential buyers will see that they have a "gun to their head" and will be forced to consider their positions and act fast (hit BIN) or potentially lose the item. Back to point: I'm not clear on how the "offer/canceled offer" dynamic will work on CC. Anyone know?

From a seller's perspective, I think ComicLink's bidding structure is more advantageous in most instances. A "visible retracted bid" provides both a reference point to the seller's sales position as well as leverage against other potential buyer(s) simply because they don't know if the displayed offer is "active/valid" or not and also must bid higher than that amount. Obviously, many buyers are influenced by competing buyers' "willingness to buy" at whatever price. There is a psychological "comfort zone" factor to consider (similar to one of the dynamics ComicConnect's "exclusive counter offer" opportunity creates). In some cases, buyers that may have decided on a "ceiling" for a particular book, could make the decision to go higher based solely on the "visible, but retracted bid" and the assumption that there IS current demand at that price. The bid however, "could be" off the table and months upon months old... and that same bidder could be unwilling to buy at that bid "in the now" if he had the opportunity. Whether a "visible, but retracted bid" is "fair" or "misleading" to a buyer is certainly debatable. My feeling is, if an offer is retracted by a buyer, it should either be removed shortly afterward, or at worst have a (48-72 hour) delay before expiring. In regards to CL specifically, perhaps a retracted bid could "change color" or become "italic" so it serves its explained purpose (as being a "reference point" for future bids), but at the same time is evident to buyers that its not a "current/active" offering. That would create a more balanced playing field IMHO. Note: that said, I've bought plenty from CL even though I do object to this particular policy.

As a buyer, I'm heavily in favor of PedigreeComics bidding structure where I can control my bids/offers in real time and utilize a full range of negotiating tactics. If I feel I've made a strong/realistic offer and the seller does not respond, rejects, or counters too high... I can let him/her know where I stand immediately. I can withdraw the offer so its not sitting there for his leverage benefit... eliminating the psychological "comfort zone" for other potential bidders. I can temporarily withdraw my offer, and enter the same bid (or a little higher or lower depending) again at a later date. If no other bids higher than my previous have occurred in the interim, then I have a little more leverage when re-entering my bid. The seller will now have to consider the offer as being potentially a "limited time offer" and there will also be more at stake from a counter offer perspective. Reject a fair offer, or go too high on the counter... the bidder may walk (with his bid). I feel more deals "are encouraged" to be completed by this system as its more balanced. This also works in a seller's favor sometimes even if he/she may not realize it until later. In my case, there have been instances where as a seller on PedigreeComics, I've been too stubborn and/or aggressive with my pricing only to eventually sell at near (or even less) than some bids that were made earlier and then withdrawn. Understanding this, now, I sell more often when offers are "closer" to my goal where I may have otherwise stood pat and waited. In many of these instances when I've made the sale (instead of held), I've noticed future sales (in all venues) on the books in question going lower. More in fact went lower than higher. Lesson learned... "try to make a deal when its close", waiting for a better offer can just as easily (if not more so) work against you especially when/if there's been a perceived market change. All's it takes in some cases is (1) lower eBay sale.

Another buyer benefit at Pedigree... I LOVE that when I hit a "Buy it Now", I know I won the book instantly. No stressful waiting period to see if someone else hit it too and now we both/all may be waiting for the seller to check his email and let one of us know. I've lost a couple nice books on CL like this and it was both stressful waiting... and a disappointment when I was informed it was sold to someone else and no longer available. Recently, I hit a BIN on CL and I did get notification that the book was mine the next day... but the waiting period was not very fun. Of course losing a book in such fashion is much worse. (CL Seller Question: can a CL seller that receives multiple BINs "choose" which one to accept regardless of who hit it first?).

Realistically, all consignment sites are challenged to create a balanced environment where neither sellers or buyers feel "too much" at disadvantage from the other side of the negotiation. If a system is in place that favors sellers... some buyers may elect to take some/all of their business elsewhere. The converse is also true. Its a difficult balance to strike. I imagine some use one site over the other to sell more and may buy more from the other. In some cases, maybe on principal alone. Of course this has a lot to do with available stock at any particular time. However, the perception as to where one feels they have the best advantage in either the selling or buying scenario is where most will choose to go for the most part. If there's a book you have to have as a buyer however... all bets are off.

Very informative post, and dead on IMO.

Thanks for clearing up the difference between C'link and Pedigree. I don't bid on books on Pedigree to often because I am also in Florida, and having to factor in sales tax usually affects my ability to make a competitive bid.

Good information Bruce thumbsup2.gif

I just recently realized I could cancel my rejected bids on Pedigree and took one off today as a matter of fact.

I really like being able to do that and I think you summed up all the reasons perfectly.

I'll have to check out Comic Connect. I haven't been there before.

Another buyer benefit at Pedigree... I LOVE that when I hit a "Buy it Now", I know I won the book instantly. No stressful waiting period to see if someone else hit it too and now we both/all may be waiting for the seller to check his email and let one of us know. I've lost a couple nice books on CL like this and it was both stressful waiting... and a disappointment when I was informed it was sold to someone else and no longer available. Recently, I hit a BIN on CL and I did get notification that the book was mine the next day... but the waiting period was not very fun. Of course losing a book in such fashion is much worse. (CL Seller Question: can a CL seller that receives multiple BINs "choose" which one to accept regardless of who hit it first?).[/i]

Has Josh ever explained to anyone why a "sale pending" doesn't instantly appear when somebody hits a BIN on ComicLink? It seems kind of wrong that you can match the "buy it now" price and only find out later that somebody (supposedly?) beat you to it. I know sellers have to confirm that the book is still available, but it's sale PENDING, not sale COMPLETED. Maybe there's a good reason for it, but from a buyer's perspective, it's a weird way of doing things.

I like the declined bids staying posted. It gives a better reference for an initial bid. What I don't like are the books that sold a year ago still being listed with the current books. Move them to an archive section. sign-rantpost.gif

you couldn't mean harry's books listed sale pending after two years?

There was a recent event with Metropolis Comics that left me frustrated.

The comic had a "Make an offer" button and so I made an offer

I thought was pretty generous (between gpa and os book)

Here is the e-mail I got back:

Thanks for contacting us and making an offer. We are not discounting this book currently, as these are very good sellers and tough to restock. Please do feel free to continue to make offers, as we will always consider a reasonable offer.

O.K. , if you aren't discounting this book then

why the hell do you have a "Make an offer" button!!!

I would of had no beef at all with them as long as there wasn't a

"Make an offer" button. Why even have it near a book unless it is legit...

I mean, was the offer not reasonable enough???

someone please tell me.

tongue.gif

Another buyer benefit at Pedigree... I LOVE that when I hit a "Buy it Now", I know I won the book instantly. No stressful waiting period to see if someone else hit it too and now we both/all may be waiting for the seller to check his email and let one of us know. I've lost a couple nice books on CL like this and it was both stressful waiting... and a disappointment when I was informed it was sold to someone else and no longer available. Recently, I hit a BIN on CL and I did get notification that the book was mine the next day... but the waiting period was not very fun. Of course losing a book in such fashion is much worse. (CL Seller Question: can a CL seller that receives multiple BINs "choose" which one to accept regardless of who hit it first?).[/i]

Has Josh ever explained to anyone why a "sale pending" doesn't instantly appear when somebody hits a BIN on ComicLink? It seems kind of wrong that you can match the "buy it now" price and only find out later that somebody (supposedly?) beat you to it. I know sellers have to confirm that the book is still available, but it's sale PENDING, not sale COMPLETED. Maybe there's a good reason for it, but from a buyer's perspective, it's a weird way of doing things.

Been there on more than a few occassions, probably my only complaint about their website.