• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Published Art vs. Commissions

31 posts in this topic

Up until this morning, I was a published art only person. I just liked the idea conceptually of a published piece. And my conception of published was broad. If it made it into a fanzine, that was okay. I also have some vague conception that a published piece may keep its value better than a non-published piece.

But this morning, I saw a commission that (was done for someone else) but really pulls at my heart strings. I am thinking of buying it. It is not alot of money, but I am wondering about crossing a very interesting line that I never thought I'd cross.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Does anyone buy only published pieces?

Does anyone buy only unpublished pieces?

Why or why not?

Thanks.

I started out like you did, only wanting published art. Then, I decided I had to have an Everett Sub-Mariner and my whole view changed. Granted, this is a little different in that Mr. Everett had passed away long before I wanted an item from him, so it's not really a "commission" so much as a convention sketch.

Once that barrier was gone, I went crazy. I've got a Simon Cap I commissioned, a Trimpe Hulk #181 cover re-creation, and more sketches than I can count.

I say if you like the item and have the money, go for it! thumbsup2.gif

I forgot to add.....originally I only bought published art as a way of authenticating the work. Fanzines didn't count for me.

Also, once I waded in to the unpublished goodies, I liked having the artwork personalized. It does two things for me. One is that it makes it mine, I'm not likely to sell or trade any artwork anyway, so why not have it personalized? Two is that it gives the artist some peace of mind that they didn't just do a free sketch that will end up on eBay in the next 48 hours for $50. Most seem eager to personalize.

I only buy published art. The main reason for me is that it cuts down on the counterfeits significantly because there is something to compare it with (the printed image) to validate its authenticity.

With that being said I came very close a few weeks back when someone was selling an amazing commission by an artist that I know I'll never be able to afford something published. I nearly made the plunge but held off.

So after saying that I still only collect published pieces but may at some point be swayed. I'm not much help am I? smile.gif

Ben and Thomas -

Thanks so much for your input.

You both raise excellent points. I'd never thought of the published aspect of the art as being a means of authentication, but it is so obvious and makes so much sense.

Unfortunately, I'm no closer to making a decision than previously.

The commission is one that was done for someone else (but not personalized to that person) and which is being sold. The artist is one whose work is generally affordable anyway, but I've never seen a piece by this artist that I've liked as much as this commission. So, I guess the value aspect of it is not critical as we are not talking about alot of money here.

There are still a couple of days until I have to make a decision, so I can let your suggestions marinate until then.

Thanks again and best regards.

- A

I only bought published pieces until late There are some artists that the published pieces go for so much money that the commision piece is the way to go. I only have three pieces of comissioned art so far two done for me and one sweet Neal Adams piece I bought of ebay with a Neal adams cert of Authentcity. There is a nice Golden age Green Lantern page on Anothny's I may get as well and the nice thing is that it is personalized with my name to boot.

Marvel Junkie -

Dude, you stole that Adams drawing. I looked it up on completed auctions on eBay. You probably got it for less than half of what Neal originally sold it for. (Was the frame free too? Make me feel worse.) Plus, it is a great picture to boot! Congrats.

Doctor -

Wow, you have a great commission collection. While I'm not a fan of JB's more recent efforts, the Doctor Strange commissions he has done for you are beautiful. If I'm at liberty to make suggestions, a Michael Golden Dr. Strange commission (if you can stomach the apparently long wait time) would look real nice on your wall.

You make a great point with waiting for the right page to come along. I don't get out to conventions much (I've only been to one, ever, but hope to rectify that someday), so I end up trolling around the internet for hours at a time looking for stuff. That gets old fast because there's so much *spoon* out there. Plus, now that it's summer, I'd rather be outside doing something. And that right page at the right price are few and far between.

Thanks to both of you for your insights!

- A

Marvel Junkie -

Dude, you stole that Adams drawing. I looked it up on completed auctions on eBay. You probably got it for less than half of what Neal originally sold it for. (Was the frame free too? Make me feel worse.) Plus, it is a great picture to boot! Congrats.

Yeah it was professionally mounted and framed as well. I was told the framing was almost $200.00 by the seller. I was very lucky with that auction. cloud9.gif

I prefer by a decent margin commissions. No particular reason why as I have both, but con sketches and commissions do more for me.

Pirate -

Thanks for the input.

I do like your EBAS (Eric Basaldura) Dawnstar sketch. I think EBAS is on his way to being a superstar once his Top Cow exclusive ends (ala David Finch).

Best.

- A

Artemaria, I only buy published artwork. I like to see and hold the published artwork, and mount it beside the "real" artwork. I also feel, should the time come that I ever want to sell my artwork (or, more likely, my heirs want to unload the stuff), it's the published work that will have more resonance with buyers.

Lately, though, I've been wondering if this should be a hard-and-fast rule. I've seen some unpublished covers (rejected by the publisher for one reason or another; still fun and interesting) that I'd love to own. I've seen some commissions -- particularly those that dot a particular Trophy Wall -- that are simply terrific.

For now, though, it's only the published stuff. But, with every passing week, I'm beginning to think that rules are made to be broken.

Chris & Hal -

Thanks so much for your input.

Many of your points (and those of others) resonate with my own thinking about the purchase which is why I'm so torn.

It's funny. I don't want to buy commissions, but I can't really identify a concrete reason why I don't want to buy commissions. Particularly this commission which is not particularly expensive and features a character I'm looking for.

Ah well, I still have a couple of days to think about it.

By the way, Chris. Very nice Harris Starman cover.

- A

A few reasons why I prefer published examples

1) The chase...there is no hunting down for commissions...you pay x amount of dollars and you get whatever you want

2) History...published OA has historical signifance and provenance that commissions are lacking. They are one of a kind, sure you can Layton to recreate a cover for you but so can anyone else

3) The evolution of the artist himself...you like artist X's work but in most cases ie Byrne and Neal Adams, the work you were/are attracted too is not the same way he draws today, their styles have evolved and you don't get exactly what you were attracted to his work in the first place

Just a couple of reasons I prefer published pieces.

Jim

I never really put a boundary on what I would or would not buy in art collecting. I find that focusing on the actual art itself has been far more satisfying than worrying about whether it was published or not. That being said I have avoided the biggest problem that was mentioned here, fakes, by getting my art from the source. Either from the artist or the artists rep or sellers I trust. I think you should buy what you like and enjoy it. As far as provenance is concerned I usually get a picture of the art with the artist for my records on commissions.

Buy what you like. My collection is a mix of published and unpublished. But it is all stuff I liked the looks of. Good luck with your decision.

As far as provenance is concerned I usually get a picture of the art with the artist for my records on commissions.

I had previously thought of this as well but in all reality this means absolutely nothing as with Photoshop anyone can make any artist holding any piece of art. Which again brings me back to my concern about fakes for unpublished art unless like you said you get them directly from the artist or their rep. However then in the future when you decide to sell something (and at some point we or our families will) then how do you prove its real and not a fake to the next person?

1) The chase...there is no hunting down for commissions...you pay x amount of dollars and you get whatever you want

2) History...published OA has historical signifance and provenance that commissions are lacking. They are one of a kind, sure you can Layton to recreate a cover for you but so can anyone else.

3) The evolution of the artist himself...you like artist X's work but in most cases ie Byrne and Neal Adams, the work you were/are attracted too is not the same way he draws today, their styles have evolved and you don't get exactly what you were attracted to his work in the first place

Jim -

I think you hit the nail on the head here. I think that these are amongst the reasons that I prefer the published (or at least art that appeared somewhere). There's a record of it having existed, and having been done.

It's funny you should mention Layton. The guy is one of the few that really does not look like he has lost too much, despite the passage of time. But as much as I love his Iron Man, I'd rather pay for an original panel page from his run than get a commission that anyone else could get. There was a nice cover recreation by him on eBay a few weeks back. I thought about it, but ultimately did not bid at $250, which was the winning bid.

I'm still torn, but my window of opportunity is closing.

Thanks so much for your comments.

- A