• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

269 posts in this topic

Yes, I did in fact read Brian's site. I also asked Daniel about it. I am satisfied with the info recieved at this time, of course if someone has proof otherwise lets see it. Not conjecture, but real proof. Appearantly there some people with a lot of resorces and time to Hire investigators and Attorney's, you would think if there is a smoking gun they would have it. Like I said, its a witch hunt, and I have seen evidence of shady relationships (not proof from both CGC and PGX) on this and other forums, but that doesn't make me go out and speak against either one. I wouldn't think of slandering someone without real evidence, much damage can be done on conjecture and heresay.

I feel there is a place for each company and both have good things to offer, I buy both types of slabs and to date have been reasonably happy with both.

The Dog may sound, smell, bark, and look like a dog, and yet may be a dingo! Meanig things are not always as they seem. That being said I respect other opinions than mine, but negative issues should be backed with actuall proof..at least as I think.

Paul

Paul,

I'm sorry, but this is screwy.gif I bet you're a big OJ fan . . . insane.gif27_laughing.gif

-d

Yes, I did in fact read Brian's site. I also asked Daniel about it. I am satisfied with the info recieved at this time, of course if someone has proof otherwise lets see it. Not conjecture, but real proof. Appearantly there some people with a lot of resorces and time to Hire investigators and Attorney's, you would think if there is a smoking gun they would have it. Like I said, its a witch hunt, and I have seen evidence of shady relationships (not proof from both CGC and PGX) on this and other forums, but that doesn't make me go out and speak against either one. I wouldn't think of slandering someone without real evidence, much damage can be done on conjecture and heresay.

I feel there is a place for each company and both have good things to offer, I buy both types of slabs and to date have been reasonably happy with both.

The Dog may sound, smell, bark, and look like a dog, and yet may be a dingo! Meanig things are not always as they seem. That being said I respect other opinions than mine, but negative issues should be backed with actuall proof..at least as I think.

Paul

Paul,

I'm sorry, but this is screwy.gif I bet you're a big OJ fan . . . insane.gif27_laughing.gif

-d

I like OJ, just fine, but I prefer a good fruit punch or welch's grape juice. Oh, but the above is still my opinion. I can see how some might be biased against PGX and with all the Leder shizzle, I second guessed. Fortunatly I was able to speak to Daniel in a relaxed forum in person, and knowing some of the details from his side persuaded me to give a second chance. To date Ewart/Leder aside I think both companies are pretty darn good. I don't always agree with grade and heaven knows all you fellow formites don't either. Its probably number one complaint besides corperate this and corp. that. I just don't believe that any of the stuff so far is intentional. I do believe that PGX has tightened up their resto check, and it is pretty good, and to say buying raw of Ebay is better is ignorant, as all of my restored books came from ebay and 95% undiscosed.

Oh, one more thing Divad....you don't know me well enough or at all to make a judgement whether or not I am crazy. Oh, and the Juice most likely was Guilty as Fu%#!

P.

unless someone i know and trust already tells me they slabbed the book i'm looking at themselves, i won't be buying any PGX books, high grade and cheap or no

That is probably a good point. I picked up a bunch of PGX slabbed (and a ton of raw books) that a local collector sent in from an original owner collection last year. Most of them looked better than the PGX grade, and based on what I have submitted so far the PGX 9.0s & 9.2s came back as CGC 9.4 and most of the PGX 9.4s have come back as CGC 9.6 with a couple of 9.8s in the mix. cloud9.gif

The main issue for me is that PGX is "just a guy".

I'm "just a guy", too... I don't claim to be an expert in comic grading simply because

I know how to grade. I don't have any credentials in this industry.

I'm an Overstreet advisor since 2004, but I don't think that means I could

start my own grading company.

Who is Daniel Patterson? As far as I can tell, he's "just a guy".

Why does his opinion of a comic book matter? Because he owns plastic holders?

Maybe the plastic company should open up a grading shop... cut out the middle man. insane.gif

The bottom line is that "one guy" simply cannot be a comic grading company.

There's no quality control, there's no checks and balances, there's no difference of opinion,

and most importantly, no one is double-checking the work.

If "one guy" (whether he works for CGC or PGX) is a 95% accurate grader,

then obviously, he's an excellent grader. 95% is great. I like 95%.

But that still means 1 mistake in 20.

But, if you have two graders who are 95% accurate look at the same book, independently,

that 1 mistake in 20 will be caught by the other grader 19 out of 20 times.

That means two graders make a mistake 1 in 400.

(1/20 times 1/20 equals 1/400)

Three graders for the same book make a mistake 1 in 8,000... assuming they're all 95% accurate.

(1/20 times 1/20 times 1/20 equals 1/8000)

So, while 95% accurate is nice, "one guy" makes a mistake 1 in 20.

That same 95% accurate with "three guys" means mistakes are 1 in 8,000.

The 95% is just a guess... but even at 99% accuracy, "one guy" doesn't compare to "three guys".

Why would I pay "slightly less" for the "one guy" with some plastic?

Is the savings really worth it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Paul,

Couldn't agree more. Any thought that PGX is any more or less liable to screw up a grade than anyone else is just opinion. After all, there isn't any graduate grading school where comic scholars go to achieve grading perfection and earn their grading diploma. Whose to say who is most qualified to perform this exacting rocket science. Obviously CGC has a longer and better documented track record, and public opinion is in their corner. But until someone has proof that PGX is actually doing shoddy work, any bad mouthing of them is probably just sour grapes.

On a side note...if Heritage accepted PGX graded books, how much difference would it make in their acceptance by the collecting community?

Richard-

I usually do not come into these threads, but you are one of the people I respect most in this hobby, not only because you are honest, but because you are a real hobbyist and care about the future of it even after you and I will be long gone.

Please answer some questions for our fellow board members. You had MANY concerns when CGC opened up and seem to not have the same ones for cgg:

Who is Patterson?

Have you ever heard of him before he opened cgg?

Does anyone in "the know" (for lack of better wording) ever heard of Paterson before he opened.

He claims to be able to grade correctly and most importantly be an "expert" or have one on resto detection. Who do you know that can back this up?

Why did he not care about using archivally safe material on YOUR comics when he opened?

If cgg switched over to an archivally safe interior, why would he not mentioned on their website and make a big deal out of it?

From his website: "Over a period of many months we consulted with comic book dealers, industry professionals, experienced graders, and collectors from around the United States. We showed them a group of books in varying conditions and asked for their opinions, suggestions, and general thoughts on the grading process. Taking the average of the information we received, we created what we believe will be the most widely accepted set of grading standards in the hobby."

Have you met any of the "industry professionals" he "worked with" and what did they say?

Does he have a real building?

Security?

Did he ever work in the hobby along side anyone you know?

If he does not work alone, who works with him?

Why does he not tell you who they are? Should they not be on the cgg site so you know who is touching your books?

I forgot what other concerns you had when we opened up, maybe you can help me remember others?

Anywhoo ( as Ron "Redbeard" would say) I am going back to grading. See you in SD! headbang.gif

Paul,

-d

Oh, one more thing Divad....you don't know me well enough or at all to make a judgement whether or not I am crazy. Oh, and the Juice most likely was Guilty as Fu%#!

P.

Dear Paul,

This screwy.gif doesn't mean I think that YOU are crazy, it means that I think what YOU TYPED is screwy. I've passed no judgment on you whatsoever, and don't need to know you one iota to comment on your comment . . . grin.gif

best,

David

Paul,

Couldn't agree more. Any thought that PGX is any more or less liable to screw up a grade than anyone else is just opinion. After all, there isn't any graduate grading school where comic scholars go to achieve grading perfection and earn their grading diploma. Whose to say who is most qualified to perform this exacting rocket science. Obviously CGC has a longer and better documented track record, and public opinion is in their corner. But until someone has proof that PGX is actually doing shoddy work, any bad mouthing of them is probably just sour grapes.

On a side note...if Heritage accepted PGX graded books, how much difference would it make in their acceptance by the collecting community?

Richard-

I usually do not come into these threads, but you are one of the people I respect most in this hobby, not only because you are honest, but because you are a real hobbyist and care about the future of it even after you and I will be long gone.

Please answer some questions for our fellow board members. You had MANY concerns when CGC opened up and seem to not have the same ones for cgg:

Who is Patterson?

Does anyone in "the know" (for lack of better wording) ever heard of Paterson before he opened.

He claims to be able to grade correctly and most importantly be an "expert" or have one on resto detection. Who do you know that can back this up?

Why did he not care about using archivally safe material on YOUR comics when he opened?

If cgg switched over to an archivally safe interior, why would he not mentioned on their website and make a big deal out of it?

From his website: "Over a period of many months we consulted with comic book dealers, industry professionals, experienced graders, and collectors from around the United States. We showed them a group of books in varying conditions and asked for their opinions, suggestions, and general thoughts on the grading process. Taking the average of the information we received, we created what we believe will be the most widely accepted set of grading standards in the hobby."

Have you met any of the "industry professionals" he "worked with" and what did they say?

Security?

Why does he not tell you who they are? Should they not be on the cgg site so you know who is touching your books?

I forgot what other concerns you had when we opened up, maybe you can help me remember others?

Anywhoo ( as Ron "Redbeard" would say) I am going back to grading. See you in SD! headbang.gif

I defer to the birthday boy sumo.gifgrin.gif

concern in my mind that the book was submitted to PGX and not CGC in order to receive a blue label, and that trimming or other work had been intentionally snuck by.

This is true. My main concern would be a high grade Bronze book that may have been a Leder book, but there is the distinct possiblity that others may be "testing" PGX as well.

Frankly, it's entirely possible that 95% of PGX books have received a fair grading and halfway decent resto check, but the shady 5% is what totally destroys their brand value.

Just to play Devils advocate, where do you get the 5% mark? I personally like both CGC and PGX, I happen to live in Eugene, and therefore support PGX due to no shipping, thus less expensive and I believe better holder.

just because i am curious, have you ever done any price comparison analyses for PGX books vs. CGC books? obviously, we're talking about books in the same grade.

just seems like if i'm saving $30 on shipping costs and realising $100 less on my sale price, the convenience of local pick-up and a better holder aren't really doing anything for me.

this of course presumes you are slabbing to sell. slabbing to keep of course renders the discussion moot

Paul,

Richard-

Who is Patterson?

Security?

Steve,

An interesting way to put me on the spot.

I had concerns about grading in general, not CGC in particular. You guys have done a fine job of incorporating graded comics into every comic stores' business model in one way or another. So my lack of concern with CGG or PGX would be the same as for any grading company that comes along from this point forward.

I never thought CGC needed to prove anything to me. I thought the IDEA of graded comics had to prove itself. If graded comics weren't accepted then none of this discussion would be relevant now.

I don't know much about any of the principles at PGX, only met Mr. Patterson once. All I know is what I have seen graded. All I can judge PGX on is the work I have seen them do. I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Same as I judged CGC by the work you do.

I will say that if I have had a question about reasons behind grades I have been very vocal with you. The color touch issue, the excess paper trimmed off issue, the pressing and blue/purple resto issues were all things I talked about with you. I have never had those conversations with anyone at PGX because....I send all of my books to CGC.

If it is a testimonial you want, well that is what you get. We are, after all, on the CGC chat boards.

Thanks for your concern,

Richard

Paul,

Richard-

Who is Patterson?

Security?

Steve,

An interesting way to put me on the spot.

I had concerns about grading in general, not CGC in particular. You guys have done a fine job of incorporating graded comics into every comic stores' business model in one way or another. So my lack of concern with CGG or PGX would be the same as for any grading company that comes along from this point forward.

I never thought CGC needed to prove anything to me. I thought the IDEA of graded comics had to prove itself. If graded comics weren't accepted then none of this discussion would be relevant now.

I don't know much about any of the principles at PGX, only met Mr. Patterson once. All I know is what I have seen graded. All I can judge PGX on is the work I have seen them do. I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Same as I judged CGC by the work you do.

I will say that if I have had a question about reasons behind grades I have been very vocal with you. The color touch issue, the excess paper trimmed off issue, the pressing and blue/purple resto issues were all things I talked about with you. I have never had those conversations with anyone at PGX because....I send all of my books to CGC.

If it is a testimonial you want, well that is what you get. We are, after all, on the CGC chat boards.

Thanks for your concern,

Richard

Richard-

I hope you did not feel I was putting you on the spot sorry.gif

I know that many people here (especially new collectors), because of who you are, take a lot of what you say as gospel, and by stating "But until someone has proof that PGX is actually doing shoddy work, any bad mouthing of them is probably just sour grapes." I just wanted to know where you stood on the postion "for the recored". Not looking for a testimonial, hell, I would have just called you for that grin.gif

Got to go, my daughter is taking me out for my b-day headbang.gif

Later,

-Steve

I know that many people here (especially new collectors), because of who you are, take a lot of what you say as gospel,

Yeah, like me, fer' instance . . . insane.gif

hi.gif group hug flowerred.gif

I know that many people here (especially new collectors), because of who you are, take a lot of what you say as gospel,

Yeah, like me, fer' instance . . . insane.gif

hi.gif group hug flowerred.gif

I don't even believe half the *spoon* I say.

893blahblah.gifso, group hug, sure! cloud9.gif

There is no proof that PGX is more than one person despite many attempt by (former) supporters. The fact that no one has ever met any of Daniels purported "other" staff and he seems to go out of his way to keep it that way makes many, including myself nervous and suspicious.

Daniel has made many mistakes to which he has admitted. That is a good thing but the problem lies in that the very same mistakes keep being made despite supposedly having rectified the problems. Restoration is missed, a huge number of label errors are made, lower grades are often wild at best, etc. Anyone not believing that there is "proof" of incompetence at the least is simply just denying the the wealth of evidence out there.

The most common error on the part of PGX is screwing up the label. If anyone thinks this is a minor problem then they really don't know how much money rests on the information on that label. everyone here get massively pissed at seller online when they misrepresent the grade, title, year and creators of comics they are selling and they take the hit on the realize price or in their reputation, either fairly or not. PGX (and CGC) should take as bad a bashing for such "minor" misrepresentations too. They are assurance companies so it is in their best interest to have as quality operating procedures and quality control checks as possible.

PGX (and CGC) are supposed to be trustworthy businesses and must do everything in their power to continue to present their businesses in as professional and unbiased manner as possible. PGX has done an absolutely *spoon* job of this and shows little signs of getting better. I simply do not trust the labels. CGC could do a much better job in many respects as well but in the end they have done enough to earn more trust from the marketplace than PGX.

I can tell you for a fact that CGC is far closer to earning my business than PGX. I have stated here and on other forums (as userid Oxbladder) what CGC needs to "clean up" to earn my business. PGX ... well Daniel has simply proven that he is unable to earn my trust and business. He has had years to do so and has promised more than myself that fixes were on the way ... well I (we) are still waiting.

I don't know how else to put it ... call me a hater or whatever but I have made it very clear over the years how I feel that PGX and CGC could earn my trust, business, .... business whatever. I would think that CGC will ultimately get there before Daniel finally put up for public display his staff .... for example.

For example you want to meet Daniels staff, what do you want CGC to clean up to earn their trust?

I am not being antagonistic, just curious.

Ze-

Publicize their standards, when addressing problems brought to their attention make it a transparent procedure (it is very easy to say it has been addressed without doing anything ... I am not saying they are doing this but who knows if their is nothing public), ... really open up their business a bit more. I understand the whole idea of protecting trade secrets but as ISO proves you can open your business up alot while still protecting the inner workings.

The biggest problem I have with grading companies is that they profess to being assurance businesses with "standards" but no one really knows exactly what these standards are. There is alot of money riding on the whole grading thing and mistrust, etc can be very easy to come by if no-one but those inside know what the standards are and are responsible for policing themselves.

I have stated this and other similar things many times on this board and elsewhere. Maybe I aspire to too much because I understand true QC systems but I think more can be done and it can only help CGC in the long run. The more open the system is the less people can toss around conspiracy theories and we all know there have been many of those theories that have dogged CGC for a long time.

That is just some things I can rattle off. I don't have many posts here so you could probably glean some more from some of my other posts.

PGX needs to go as far as CGC has and more but I don't have one single scrap of confidence they can do so.

(I also think that sometimes Steve could be a bit better with his PR. He comes across as a bit cocky sometimes. I understand he is a nice guy and all but sometimes it is hard to get that from some of his public statements.)

HTH

PGX just flat out sucks. Period. I would never buy one of their books. Their website and the finished product just look real shabby to me. If I am going to buy a slabbed book I make damn sure it is from CGC. On a side note I also have somewhat of a problem with Certified Guarantee LLC too. It surrounds the whole pedigree issue. I feel like they honor way to many of them. Church and Larson to me are the only true pedigree's, I see it that every other one they honor is just another way of turning a $100 dollar book into a $10,000 dollar one. For example I saw where they are actually put the words, "From the Nicholas Cage Collection" at the top of each of his sold books. This is also bull-s)^(!t because his books and his books alone rise in value while other that are comparable or even better remain leveled. Not fair; but hey that's just my take.

There is no proof that PGX is more than one person despite many attempt by (former) supporters. The fact that no one has ever met any of Daniels purported "other" staff and he seems to go out of his way to keep it that way makes many, including myself nervous and suspicious.

Daniel has made many mistakes to which he has admitted. That is a good thing but the problem lies in that the very same mistakes keep being made despite supposedly having rectified the problems. Restoration is missed, a huge number of label errors are made, lower grades are often wild at best, etc. Anyone not believing that there is "proof" of incompetence at the least is simply just denying the the wealth of evidence out there.

The most common error on the part of PGX is screwing up the label. If anyone thinks this is a minor problem then they really don't know how much money rests on the information on that label. everyone here get massively pissed at seller online when they misrepresent the grade, title, year and creators of comics they are selling and they take the hit on the realize price or in their reputation, either fairly or not. PGX (and CGC) should take as bad a bashing for such "minor" misrepresentations too. They are assurance companies so it is in their best interest to have as quality operating procedures and quality control checks as possible.

PGX (and CGC) are supposed to be trustworthy businesses and must do everything in their power to continue to present their businesses in as professional and unbiased manner as possible. PGX has done an absolutely *spoon* job of this and shows little signs of getting better. I simply do not trust the labels. CGC could do a much better job in many respects as well but in the end they have done enough to earn more trust from the marketplace than PGX.

I can tell you for a fact that CGC is far closer to earning my business than PGX. I have stated here and on other forums (as userid Oxbladder) what CGC needs to "clean up" to earn my business. PGX ... well Daniel has simply proven that he is unable to earn my trust and business. He has had years to do so and has promised more than myself that fixes were on the way ... well I (we) are still waiting.

I don't know how else to put it ... call me a hater or whatever but I have made it very clear over the years how I feel that PGX and CGC could earn my trust, business, .... business whatever. I would think that CGC will ultimately get there before Daniel finally put up for public display his staff .... for example.

Codman,

Great and well thought out post of opinion. Nice job! Only have one contention, I have mentioned that I have met 3 graders of his. So there are others there. Also when I call the shop, where ever that may be, there are at least two others who have answered the phone, and one who I have met being a grader at a Timely show I did at our LCS. I may not agree with all you have said, but then your experience might be different than mine, but your tact in explaining your posistion is very nice and welcome change. Do I think PGX is better than CGC? No, but do I think they are doing better, yes! Always room for improvement, but if they did one thing right it was the holder....Awsome!

Anyway the subject is beat to death, I just wanna see some books, so I am off to more productive fields. Dreaming of all Comics CGC and otherwise! A nice book is still a nice book no matter what the holder.

Paul

The main issue for me is that PGX is "just a guy".

I'm "just a guy", too... I don't claim to be an expert in comic grading simply because

I know how to grade. I don't have any credentials in this industry.

I'm an Overstreet advisor since 2004, but I don't think that means I could

start my own grading company.

Who is Daniel Patterson? As far as I can tell, he's "just a guy".

Why does his opinion of a comic book matter? Because he owns plastic holders?

Maybe the plastic company should open up a grading shop... cut out the middle man. insane.gif

The bottom line is that "one guy" simply cannot be a comic grading company.

There's no quality control, there's no checks and balances, there's no difference of opinion,

and most importantly, no one is double-checking the work.

If "one guy" (whether he works for CGC or PGX) is a 95% accurate grader,

then obviously, he's an excellent grader. 95% is great. I like 95%.

But that still means 1 mistake in 20.

But, if you have two graders who are 95% accurate look at the same book, independently,

that 1 mistake in 20 will be caught by the other grader 19 out of 20 times.

That means two graders make a mistake 1 in 400.

(1/20 times 1/20 equals 1/400)

Three graders for the same book make a mistake 1 in 8,000... assuming they're all 95% accurate.

(1/20 times 1/20 times 1/20 equals 1/8000)

So, while 95% accurate is nice, "one guy" makes a mistake 1 in 20.

That same 95% accurate with "three guys" means mistakes are 1 in 8,000.

The 95% is just a guess... but even at 99% accuracy, "one guy" doesn't compare to "three guys".

Why would I pay "slightly less" for the "one guy" with some plastic?

Is the savings really worth it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I couldn't have stated this any better about PGX.

CGC is the ONLY place I'm sending my comics to be graded until I can be convinced there is viable competition out there and right now NOBODY is even on the radar screen to challenge CGC.