• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

269 posts in this topic

Getting back on track... While it's been noted that PGX seems to only have one grader, their website clearly states that there are three people on their grading team with a combined 55 years of experience.

Now who these people are, I don't know. confused-smiley-013.gif

Each book is inspected by our PGX Grading Team which consists of three people:

[1] The first person is our pre-grader.

[2] The second is our restoration expert and primary grader.

[3] The third is our senior and final grader.

Getting back on track... While it's been noted that PGX seems to only have one grader, their website clearly states that there are three people on their grading team with a combined 55 years of experience.

Now who these people are, I don't know. confused-smiley-013.gif

Each book is inspected by our PGX Grading Team which consists of three people:

[1] The first person is our pre-grader.

[2] The second is our restoration expert and primary grader.

[3] The third is our senior and final grader.

For the life of me why they do not list their employees is beyond me. As easy as it would be to do so, and for all the good it would do.

Why not just do it?

confused-smiley-013.gif

Aside from the obvious reason that there are none. And since we have nothing else presented in a public manner what else are we supposed to think.

Ze-

A long time ago when I was trying to get their website looking less crappy (the first incarnation of the site blew chunks and I at least got it to look a bit better) I pushed and pushed to get Daniel to release more info on his "staff". At that time they had some really cursory tidbits on some people that supposedly worked with him. I don't remember clearly but I think he got me to remove that part of the page completely. If not I know it eventually disappeared shortly after i stopped working on the page.

I only ever talked to Daniel. When I called, if I remember correctly, I either got Daniel or a answering machine.

For the life of me I cannot see why this simple data ... and some photos ... never have got posted. It is simple, obvious stuff to post. The only reason that it isn't there is because there is only one person that truly works there.

I disagree... posting that information there without being able to substantiate it would be false advertising. (And would be very dangerous legally.) The process they specify would be one of the reasons why you would get a comic book graded by them.

I have to assume that there are actually 3 graders onsite.

This should be very easy..

Call them up. Ask them to prove they have three graders looking at each book. Otherwise, they should remove that section from their Website.

sckao,

Good point but really who is going to take them to task for false advertising .... if it is false?

Like said for the life of me I don't know why they don't have profiles and photos of the "staff". God knows enough people have brought this up over the years and Daniel keeps saying that it is coming. Like I said they had very basic profiles up and I suggested how to make it better and nothing every came of it. If I am not mistaken the next folks to work on the website made the same request/suggestion and nothing happened. There is STILL nothing there.

Daniel seems full of empty promises. No profiles, no bladewave (whatever that was supposed to be), no cutting Leder off, etc. As time went by it just became harder and harder for me to either support or trust the business. I have several PGX slabbed books (actually not PGX but the previous name incarnations) and I have oft pondered removing them from the slabs because of the lack of consumer confidence in PGX. Not that I am going to sell them or anything, I have no plans on selling any of my slabbed books, but if their grade ain't trusted or I am unsure that there could be agreement on the grades then what use is it having them slabbed?

Just for the record Mathman, I never doubted you had Red Raven 1, I just wanted to see it. Its one of my favorites, don't own one, but would love to. So thank you for showing it, but you hadn't need to reavel anything about yourself or how much you paid if you didn't want to.

Your knock on Larson's prompted my response, as I find most Larsons to be shinning examples of GA books, and I found it hard to believe someone would not look past or appriciate the signature line if considering a book, given the other attributes found on many of Larson's books.

I probably could have responded in a kinder manner, so for that I am sorry. I could say why I did but then it would negate my appology. Any way, its Mr. Schomburg and super nice Red Raven, and thanks for sharing.

Paul

Apology Accepted. You know I think you are right about golden-age comic books. I too am beginning to believe that you have to give and take a little. They are older and one certainly can't have the same expectations that they might have in a silver or bronze age book. I am just very OCD when it comes to comics in general. Also I have a question for Steve. I heard from an Overstreet Adviser (Chris Foss), and the original books second owner that this 9.0 Red Raven from Metropolis had previously been graded an 8.0 then they had it pressed and it was given a 9.0. How is this fair? A book can go from an 8.0 to 9.0 without a Purple Label? I mean I was interested in this book because it was such as sharp copy, then when I heard that it had been pressed I completely abandoned the idea. I still can figure out how this is candid. Certified Guarantee LLC. classified this book as being completely unrestored. I'm pretty sure that if I bought it Zurzolo wouldn't tell that it had been pressed. I know my copy of RR#1 isn't restored or taxed because there is a bit foxing, plus the top right edge is slighly turned up. I am just so paranoid about the idea of accidentally purchasing a CGC book that has been pressed. Can someone explain...screwy.gif

Here is the book I was referring to at MetropolisComics.com=>

.gif

....mmmm pressing, we have had a few discussions about this. Long and short, many believe pressing is non-resto, some believe its is not. Either way if done correctly it is near or impossible to detect. The real issue that many have with pressing is long term effect on the comic not being known, although you could say the Church book, at least the earlier books at the bottom had been pressed via the wieght of books on top. The other issue is disclosure, some feel it should be mentioned on CGC holder(kinda hard if you don't know if its been done), and some feel its a non-evasive, non-restoritive technique to maximize potential and have no problems or issue with it.

Personally I don't mind pressing, haven't had any books pressed, but I don't mind.

I also don't mind disclosing it if I did, but I wouldn't care if a book was pressed and I wasn't told. Then again if I was spending any amount of money on a book, i would ask that question and many others..

This is a can of worms discussion, and there are many links about it.

Paul

Hold everything!

This is slightly off topic, but I call BS on MathMan's Red Raven. That's a scan of the Red Raven that Great Escape had for sale in the Marketplace last Saturday, not a copy he paid $8500 for on ebay as claimed!

Hold everything!

This is slightly off topic, but I call BS on MathMan's Red Raven. That's a scan of the Red Raven that Great Escape had for sale in the Marketplace last Saturday, not a copy he paid $8500 for on ebay as claimed!

27_laughing.gif

you mean this book?

BUSTED

is Krazy back yet again, trying to stir 893censored-thumb.gif up?

Hold everything!

This one? They're not even close to each other.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/sho...rue#Post1836385

Hold everything!

foreheadslap.gif Not the 9.0 that's for sale at Metropolis that he posted on this page, the 5.5 copy with identical serial number to Great Escape's book that you and Sal linked to. The 5.5 book claims is his one page back in this thread.

Hold everything!

foreheadslap.gif Not the 9.0 that's for sale at Metropolis that he posted on this page, the 5.5 copy with identical serial number to Great Escape's book that you and Sal linked to. The 5.5 book claims is his one page back in this thread.

Oops you're right I was looking at the Metropolis, those two are the same book.

Hold everything!

I just saw that thread in the Marketplace and went, "Wow! Two 5.5's posted by diff owners inteh same week on a tough book". Was even going to check the serial #'s. Nice catch! 27_laughing.gif

Hold everything!

27_laughing.gif

you mean this book?

BUSTED

The boxes in that pic look empty. Maybe they are full of stolen scans.

Annoying to see so many good posters apologizing to a worthless shill.

Hold everything!

27_laughing.gif

you mean this book?

BUSTED

The pic of all the boxes is also stolen from another thread. Someone else posted that pic awhile back.

Annoying to see so many good posters apologizing to a worthless shill.

That figures, I'm not surprised. He also posted those boxes as his in the Show Your Comic Room thread. And one of his first posts involved calling Harley Yee a d-bag.

It's typically best to ignore sarcastic baiting questions, but here goes...

The erasure damaged the book and left a color loss. The damage should be factored into the grade accordingly.

Since the erasure didn't return anything to its original state, it wasn't restoration and should not be in a purple label.

The erasure certainly didn't return the book to its original state - it removed some of the book's original color/ink/gloss... how is that any different from removing a frayed edge or sharpening a corner via trimming?

In this particular case, I think the book would look better without the erasure. In some instances, books DO look better from erasure/cleaning, and in other instances I'm sure it could prove difficult to substantiate that cleaning had occurred. But this example cries out for closer examination, IMHO... just because it can't consistently be identified (exactly like pressing), it *should* be noted/identified in clear-cut cases like this.

With respect to cleaning, it either returns a book closer to its original state, or it removes some of its original material (ink, gloss, even paper)...often both. Either way, it seems like resto to me. It's just resto that's hard to consistently identify.