• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

269 posts in this topic

hey mrbedrock, do i see the 'Larson' is erased in the 'M' of Mystic on issue 2? that's dry-cleaning isn't it [graphite removal with an eraser, i'd say]? and unlike pressing, which i understand CGC can't definitively detect [how can you note a thing you can't know on a label, or put it in purple], that's easy to spot. why isn't that book in a purple holder? and why aren't the 'tampered with to return to original state' guys all over it? any clues?

It's typically best to ignore sarcastic baiting questions, but here goes...

The erasure damaged the book and left a color loss. The damage should be factored into the grade accordingly.

Since the erasure didn't return anything to its original state, it wasn't restoration and should not be in a purple label.

Those mystics are beautiful...too bad about the Larson erasure, but still incredible.

Not restored....Damaged IMO.

Not sure about the little bit of glue on the spine though, that always bothers me as I have some with little glue on the spine in purple lables.......CGC judgement call.

Still love 'em.

i like the holder it is nice, is that a crime ?

peace frown.gif

No it's not a crime.

Besides, if it was you're a juvenile so you'd be out of jail when you turn 18 anyway.

What is that, like 7 years from now? stooges.gif

You have to remember that Larson wasn't operating as a collector when the current grading standards are set. If I am not mistaken his collection ends before the hobby was even established and the first price guide came out. The Larson collection is some of the nicest books out there and not buying one because it has his name on it is silly it is not like he wrote in thick black marker over the character art or anything. Besides I don't think the entire collection had his name on it.

Getting picky about the condition on some of these older books is certainly going to be a problem for any one who is seeking GA and SA books. I know from experience that sometimes you will have to sacrifice some of your "standards" just to own a copy. There are plenty of books out there that maybe the best you can do condition-wise may only be a 6.0-8.0 .... most copies will be VG or less.

So what? I own a Red Raven #1. You don't see my going out and writing my name on it. I like Larson's but I probably would never buy one because I hate his name being written on all of the covers.

Lets see the RR # 1, very hard to find book. If I had one, just might want to put my name on it, I would be very proud....anyway lets see it! Not only would I buy a larson, I would pay more for one with his name on it. I love the nostagia of someone who loves their books so much they brand 'em. My sarcasim above about putting my name on a RR #1, was to say that at the time Larson collected, that was common practice, keept the local kids from borrowing it for their collection.

You would think, being a Mathman you would be able to equate this Larson's=high quality gold=$=you would have to be crazy not to appriciate them. Maybe your just upset because no one wants a book signed by you.

Lots of misinformation on this thread. Christo_pull_hair.gif

Here is the first article I could find quickly.......

Lamont Larson

Joe Tricarichi found the collection. Jon Berk found the collector.

When Tricarichi, a Cleveland dealer, unearthed Larson's distinctively marked collection of 1,000 Golden Age books in the early '70s, he jealously guarded the identity of the original owner. It took Berk, the president of the American Association of Comic Collectors in 1994, to track Larson down, not far from where Larson grew up in Nebraska.

Born in 1927, Larson began reading comic books in 1936, picking up his favorite issues at the Cruetz Drug Store. Because the kid periodically missed a comic, store owner Fred Cruetz said, "I'll tell you what: We'll put your name on them...and when you want to come in and get them, they'll be here."

To reserve the comics, two store employees- Tryg Hagen and Cecil Coop - would scrawl his name on the covers. Larson told Berk that Hagen wrote either "Lamont" or "Larson" in a flowing cursive," while Coop, who came on staff after Hagen died in 1940, wrote "Larson" in a somewhat tighter -script. The initials on some of the comics - "PN" for Publishers NEws and "ON" for Omaha News - marked the distributors to which unsold books would be returned.

Larson stopped reading the funny books in 1941, but he carefully stored his comics in a box. That box ended up in a Nebraska barn for most of the next 30 years. The comics were eventually purchased by antique dealer Dwaine Nelson, who in turn sold the collection for less than $100.

The condition of the Larson books varies, often falling far short of the Mile Highs, but the two characteristics of the collection- its original owner and the length of time it remained intact- warrant its pedigree.

--Comics: Between the Panels

Thanks Steve. All I really knew is that Larson did not collect books very long and that most of them were pretty darn sweet. I certainly would not throw them out of bed for eating crackers.

(BTW there is difference between misinformation and just not knowing I wasn't knowingly spreading any incorrect info. I just don't know that much about the pedigree. I stand by my claims that the names were written on the book long before it was considered "bad")

Cod, I dont think there is anyone here who will arguee that point about writing on books back then was bad.

Back in the day people wrote their names on books, stores stamped them, and people actually cut out coupons that advertisers placed there for that exact purpose. People had no idea the books they bought at the drugstore were going to be worth what they are today. Collectors, or those who sold them.

I can see why people today might have an aversion to buying books with date stamps, or written names on them. But that is as far as it goes imho.

As was already stated in this thread, some collectors enjoy knowing that much more about where a book might have come from, and pay for that knowledge too. Not to mention those with names on them seem to have been purchased by a collector who knew enough to take care of them over the years. Be it through dumb luck, or careful planning.

Ze-

For privacy sake I very rarely reveal what all's in my personal collection. But since you want be a bit cocky, I will go ahead and tell you that I was the only who paid $8,400 off of EBay for the Red Raven #1. Check my UserName. I also own 2 copies of Marvel Comic Super Special in CGC 9.8. I am still hunting for the last copy (Help!).

MathMan

.gif

.gif

.gif

Thanks Steve. All I really knew is that Larson did not collect books very long and that most of them were pretty darn sweet. I certainly would not throw them out of bed for eating crackers.

(BTW there is difference between misinformation and just not knowing I wasn't knowingly spreading any incorrect info. I just don't know that much about the pedigree. I stand by my claims that the names were written on the book long before it was considered "bad")

Sorry if it came out wrong and you thought it was aimed at you or anyone in particular.

sorry.gif

I meant there was misinformation (misconceptions?) about: Why there was writing on these pedigree books, Larson is one of only 2 "real peds" foreheadslap.gif, some company that handles comic books, and other things

Here is another cool piece I found from Scoop. What a great time!!!:

Larson CGC dinner

No need to apologize but thanks. With respect to the Larson Pedigree is it true that some copies don't have any writing on them? I am fairly certain I heard that once from someone somewhere.

No need to apologize but thanks. With respect to the Larson Pedigree is it true that some copies don't have any writing on them? I am fairly certain I heard that once from someone somewhere.

Off the top of my head, i don't think every Larson had writing on them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif