• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #2 on eBay

39 posts in this topic

I meant # 7 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

Dam, my wifes birthday on the 6th of this month is messin my mind.

my son is six

Damian has 3 [6s]

I have a 6th sence I guess, but seriously I meant #7 is the rarest by a country mile.

Ricky new what I meant. Thanks

Action 6....Action 7

Detective 26...Detective 27

they're pretty much identical poke2.gif

I'm telling Scoop! I want my money back.....you don't sound like an expert grin.gifmakepoint.gif

Yes, I meant # 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, and I call myself a collector.

Thanks Rick for spotting that

there, case closed!

gator

I would attain some additional reassurances that this is legit before dumping several thousand on this auction. Not saying it is not, but it is an unusual auction for this seller.

I was thinking as much. Is there anyone on the boards that live in/near pheonix, AZ?

Other ways of protecting myself I assume are to: pay by credit card through ebay. Or request to pay half up front and half upon receipt. Any guidance here would help on high priced items. I think the credit card purchase through ebay is the best bet. I've already emailed him asking for more pictures, his response "I'll try". I'll think about this, I have still not bid, but was thinking about setting a snipe.

The safest way to buy this book would be through Escrow in my opinion. You may want to ask the seller if this would be an option. It is unlikely the seller will be willing to take half up front and half upon receipt. I've used www.escrow.com before for high $$ transactions when I was nervous and its always worked out great.

The other option would be to pay with a credit card. I don't know of a way to pay with a credit card directly through eBay. (Though you may want to ask if the seller has the ability to process credit cards. If he can, this would be a pretty safe option)

You could also use a credit card through Paypal. (Relatively safe these days, but not as good as paying with a credit card directly, and not as good as escrow) If you do this though, I would highly recommend not using a Discover card. When I got ripped off on eBay a few years back I put it on a Discover card, and they informed me that they had received so many chargeback complaints through Paypal that they were no longer accepting chargebacks on anything purchased through Paypal. It got very ugly. I ended up getting a lawyer involved, and some governmental agencies involved before it was over. From what I hear Discover has actually gotten better about this since then. But I would still recommend using a different card if you can.

Another option would be to contact the seller and ask for a phone number you can contact him at. This is certainly far from foolproof, but having a land line # (not cel phone) and an address (not a PO Box) makes it less likely in my opinion that he's going to take your $$ and disappear.

Another option would be to contact the seller and ask for a phone number you can contact him at. This is certainly far from foolproof, but having a land line # (not cel phone) and an address (not a PO Box) makes it less likely in my opinion that he's going to take your $$ and disappear.

I find it always helpful to talk to the seller and at least gauge the attitude. By no means is this foolproof, but maybe 7/10 you can tell if the guy is legit or not. Also, wouldn't hurt to see if he would permit a physical inspection of the book at a neutral location of his choice, say a lawyer's office or post office (federal building). It's worth it just to ask and see what the response will be. Another factor to consider.

I'll probably use a combination of the previous advice comments. I'll contact him asking for more pics, use a credit card through ebay, and ask for his phone number. I'll probably only go up as far as $2k for the paypal protection. It looks like the book may not be worth more than 2k anyway, tape on spine and all the pages look detached from the staples. Also, judging from his previous sales I'm not sure he knows much about comics, pages could be missing, trimming or other undisclosed defects.....but this is about the only Action #2 I can afford at the moment so I will have to go for it.

The guy ended the auction, with a day left on bidding. I wonder why?

it says ended early because the item is no longer available for sale...he likely sold it off ebay to someone that made him an offer

rick

That makes no sense, there was one day left to bid. Plus for a guy that has no history of selling comics I figured people would want the protection of ebay for a book of this value. Oh, well. Hopefully Primetime will be successfull in hooking me up with one.

That makes no sense, there was one day left to bid. Plus for a guy that has no history of selling comics I figured people would want the protection of ebay for a book of this value. Oh, well. Hopefully Primetime will be successfull in hooking me up with one.
i am workin on it Paratrooper!

I've seen this happen a few times with GA books that pass the 1K mark from sellers not used to selling comics or at least expensive ones. I can only guess that if they did succumb to an off-ebay offer that it was measurably more than the current high bid and couched in terms that made it seem like it was a risk to hold out for more.

I've sold a couple cars on ebay, and there is no shortage of potential buyers who want to end the auction early, especially if they come to test drive, and some are pretty insistent.