• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midtown Comics not recommended

12 posts in this topic

Just wanted to get this off my chest; sign-rantpost.gif I'm sure a lot of the modern readers order back issues from online retailers such as Midtown, Mycomicshop, Graham Crackers, or G-Mart. If you are interested in ordering from Midtown Comics, I suggest you not. I am tired of their poor packaging and having to send books back at my cost just to get a refund. I just can't trust them anymore to send books and hope they get here still in NM condition.

On the other hand, I do suggest you use G-Mart or Graham Crackers. Their packaging was grade A (books were securely sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard) and the books have always arrived in the condition I ordered them. Both are highly recommended!

Went to Midtown Comics last night, questioned them on their grading of their older books. The guy said it was easier to put the price on the books, than the price AND the grade.

I thought they did have the grade on the price tag in numeric form or did they stop that?

I'd occasionally find some undergraded books by accident in the bins, coupled with one of their 40-50% off sales and they weren't vastly overpriced.

Wow... I've purchased a few times from Midtown was impressed with them. Comics came bagged, boarded, wrapped in bubblewrap, and shipped in a cardboard box all nice and snug. I picked up copies of ASM 238 listed as Fine 6.0 and it could have easily posted as F+ to FN/VF costing me only $20. On another order, I picked up a copy of Iron Fist 14 for $17.50 listed at VG and again, it ranges somewhere between a VG+ and VG/FN. That on top of receiving the items in 3 days or less (granted, I live in CT which is less than 3 hours away).

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience of it- I'm sure lots of large scale businesses inevitably drop the ball somewhere along the line. I usually get better deals from small scale deals (LCS, local shows, online) but if I'm in a crunch and they're having a good sale, I'll buy from them.

I had never even heard of Graham Crackers (or some of the others mentioned-i've used mycomicshop a bunch of times and milehigh on occasion, other than that just ebay) and went to the site and found a bunch of books I've been looking for...so i placed my order...thnx!!

I've never had any problems with Midtown (ordered from them 4-5 times) but I usually use Lonestar/Mycomicshop since I can get free delivery to their local outlet. Graham Crackers is great for finding stuff you can't find other places; Jimmy has always been great about finding stuff that I've had problems finding elsewhere and keeping the prices down. I rarely use Mile High since their prices are usually higher than anyone else.