• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Canadian Editions

62 posts in this topic

The paratrooper (whether animal or human) must have a visible chute deployed, or soon to be deployed. That person and/or animal must be in the air or have recently landed. Having a harness on with no visible chute does not count.

You look like a anthropomorphic animal with a chute....and before you say it, I will "Ya, and that's what she said..."

This is the sort of abuse I get from a talking wedge of cheese.

I'm just trying to help confused-smiley-013.gif, but seriously best of luck with your parafuzzy books wink.gif

You look like a anthropomorphic animal with a chute....and before you say it, I will "Ya, and that's what she said..."

This is the sort of abuse I get from a talking wedge of cheese.

I'm just trying to help confused-smiley-013.gif, but seriously best of luck with your parafuzzy books wink.gif

You like the abuse, just won't admit to it. At least that's what the dominatrix we both share says... sumo.gif

I was listing another one of my doubles, tonight and saw the "tops" back cover and THEN I knew...;)

I have both, so I can check page by page tomorrow, if anyone cares... ww350001.jpg

I would love to know a side by side comparision of the two books. Is there any color difference since they were printed in different places? Like the Superman's rosy cheeks. You thought they were inked and after close inspection it was printed that red.

OK, here is the US one, the US one has 52 pages (including the cover) the Canadian one (which just sold on a bin on Ebay...so I ran to look before packing) has 16 pages, a regular size comic, plus the covers. The backs are different and the 2nd story in the Canadian version is Slam Bradly, NOT a Wonder Woman story...the other thing that was odd, was that there is a lot MORE red on the faces of the the characters on the pages themselves IN the Canadian version.

I used to think these were reprints, but they are not, they are really just different...No ad or text pages in the Canadian one, and there are only 2 Wonder Woman stories, plus the Slam Bradly one, while the US version has 3 Wonder Woman stories...the main reason for the difference in pages seems to be the lack of ads and the other boring stuff:) ww35us0001.jpg

OK, here is the US one, the US one has 52 pages (including the cover) the Canadian one (which just sold on a bin on Ebay...so I ran to look before packing) has 16 pages, a regular size comic, plus the covers. The backs are different and the 2nd story in the Canadian version is Slam Bradly, NOT a Wonder Woman story...the other thing that was odd, was that there is a lot MORE red on the faces of the the characters on the pages themselves IN the Canadian version.

I used to think these were reprints, but they are not, they are really just different...No ad or text pages in the Canadian one, and there are only 2 Wonder Woman stories, plus the Slam Bradly one, while the US version has 3 Wonder Woman stories...the main reason for the difference in pages seems to be the lack of ads and the other boring stuff:) ww35us0001.jpg

This would be an interesting collection or website getting both the Canadian and U.S. versions of the books and have a side by side comparision of the books inside and out. Canadian version definitely have a higher print quality. Shame you sold the Wonder Woman that might have been a neat one to have.

I have a handful of D.C Superhero Canadian Editions that I have put together. I do find them somewhat scarcer but also lower demand from their U.S counterparts. The ones I find available are usually lower grade copies but are more affordable. I just purchased the Wonder Women # 35 on ebay from "skypinkblu" { Thanks ! }

I will start with some Batmans:

File0406.jpg

File0407.jpg

File0408.jpg

OK, here is the US one, the US one has 52 pages (including the cover) the Canadian one (which just sold on a bin on Ebay...so I ran to look before packing) has 16 pages, a regular size comic, plus the covers.

....the main reason for the difference in pages seems to be the lack of ads and the other boring stuff:) ww35us0001.jpg

Now, that's rather surprising as that is just a huge difference in the number of pages!

Excluding the covers, you are talking about 16 pages versus 48 pages or triple the number of interior pages. Now that's a lot of ads and other boring stuff according to your count. 893whatthe.gif

There are a few threads on Canadian editions. I think most DC's are just priced differently while the Timley's were reprinted by Canadian companies. Not sure about the DC's but the Timley verisons are typically extremely rare.

Would you happen to know how rare the Marvel/Timely Venus books would be?

I remember running across several very HG Canadian edition copies of Venus several years ago. Didn't bothered to picked them up as I thought the dealer was simply asking too much for them as they were close to guide.

I knew they were rarer than the US versions especially considering how high grade they were, but passed over them due to the lower demand for Canadian editions. confused-smiley-013.gif

There are a few threads on Canadian editions. I think most DC's are just priced differently while the Timley's were reprinted by Canadian companies. Not sure about the DC's but the Timley verisons are typically extremely rare.

I remember running across several very HG Canadian edition copies of Venus several years ago. Didn't bothered to picked them up as I thought the dealer was simply asking too much for them as they were close to guide.

I knew they were rarer than the US versions especially considering how high grade they were, but passed over them due to the lower demand for Canadian editions. confused-smiley-013.gif

The fact that I am collecting GA Canadian Editions, I can tell you that Canadian Edition Marvel/Timelys seem to be extremely hard to find. In fact, I live in Canada I have seen very few Canadian Edition Marvel/Timelys in the last year from Canadian dealers.

As for Venus, I am sure other board members will tell you how hard it is to even find the US version in HG. I was lucky enough to find a Venus #5 Canadian Edition. Most Canadian Editions do have a lower demand but not all of them!! In a few cases demand is high!! Example; Captian America 132 page issue (annual)

Its not a title I collect so I couldn't tell you but in a way I'm glad that these books have flown under the radar otherwise I probably would have never been able to acquire some of them. The last batch of Canadian Timely's that I have seen came from Harley Yee. I think he picked up a collection just prior to last years San Diego con because when I bought my Cap #74 from him he had already packed it to be shipped to the con. Thank goodness he put that book to the side for me. I have to drop Harley an email because I'm curious to see where the collection came from, Detroit, Canada, New York? The SMC#31 I bought from a board member who I believe picked it up from Metro in the early 90's. These editions are a great piece of GA history, I just love them.

Well, actually, it's 32 (twice 16) versus 52...I was just counting sheets on the Canadian one and went by the number (and actual page count) on the US one, didn't convert, so it does kind of make sense, there are TONS of ads/text pages, ice cream/Palisades Park coupons in those books that take up a lot of room...Sorry for the confusion... foreheadslap.gif