• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Copper Age Storylines

77 posts in this topic

The Avengers stuff mentioned by Foolkiller is probably some of the best action packed/great art work combination your going to find. This arc actually starts about 10 issues before but would make anyone a Thor fan.

Yeah these were the years when Thoe was just inspired genius: Surtur, ThunderFrog, Mutant Massacre tie-in, Armored Thor and Thor vs Celestials.

The variety of the stories is what stands out. The humor of #356 is a must-try for those who haven't sampled this run.

I love all those that were mentioned. These threads are nice, as sometimes we find a few nice things we must have missed, and can go back and read them now! I would also add:

Grendel: Devil by the Deed

Mage: The Hero Defined

I'm a fan of the Batman 400s as a whole. Granted, I grew up during the 1980s and this (along with ASM and UXM) was what I collected. Starlin, Aparo, O'Neil, Jones stand out the most to me, though there are certainly some other great efforts in there to be sure. Collecting 400-500 is my $1 bin pet project that I fall back on after spending too much on my beloved ASMs. :)

And for the record, I'm going to say Knightfall is a really fantastic Copper Age storyline. I know that "TECHNICALLY" it's on the edge, but I'm including it. In the same vein of the modern "Hush" storyline, you get all of Batman's rogue's gallery drawn out to wear down Batman, and eventually leads to his demise by the new villain, Bane. What struck me as comical is that Joker and Scarecrow echo the same sentiments that many of us fans thought about how crazy it was that after all of these years, it was a total new guy that would take the Dark Knight out. Some great cover art by Kelley Jones just makes these books all the more desireable.

I just remember pleading with my local comic shop owner to PLEASE sell me the 1st printing, black and white cover to Knightfall #10 where Batman is defeated by Bane. He was worried I'd try and hock it to someone else for more money. I was freakin' 13 years old! lol What a maroon!

I really liked the Knightfall storyline too (though I never bought the 50 or so Knightquest issues to see how it ended!). As you say, you get all the great villains at once, which usually makes for a good storyline (see also Tec #526, Batman #400). The Chuck Dixon Detective Comics issues of Knightfall were particularly well-written and entertaining. Great Kelley Jones covers too.

I'm a fan of the Batman 400s as a whole. Granted, I grew up during the 1980s and this (along with ASM and UXM) was what I collected. Starlin, Aparo, O'Neil, Jones stand out the most to me, though there are certainly some other great efforts in there to be sure. Collecting 400-500 is my $1 bin pet project that I fall back on after spending too much on my beloved ASMs. :)

And for the record, I'm going to say Knightfall is a really fantastic Copper Age storyline. I know that "TECHNICALLY" it's on the edge, but I'm including it. In the same vein of the modern "Hush" storyline, you get all of Batman's rogue's gallery drawn out to wear down Batman, and eventually leads to his demise by the new villain, Bane. What struck me as comical is that Joker and Scarecrow echo the same sentiments that many of us fans thought about how crazy it was that after all of these years, it was a total new guy that would take the Dark Knight out. Some great cover art by Kelley Jones just makes these books all the more desireable.

I just remember pleading with my local comic shop owner to PLEASE sell me the 1st printing, black and white cover to Knightfall #10 where Batman is defeated by Bane. He was worried I'd try and hock it to someone else for more money. I was freakin' 13 years old! lol What a maroon!

DC? :screwy:lol

DC? :screwy:lol

Eh... but it's Batman. You can't fault me on that one. :makepoint:;)

:sorry:

One of the reasons I gave up on DC when I was younger was that there was way too much history to try and make sense of the DC universe. Can someone please explain to me this whole Earth 2, 3 etc... ? Isn't it about time another Flash died? Oh wait he did...

Does Crisis count as a copper storyline? (not that I actually read it)

Eh, don't feel bad. It was always really confusing to me too. But (and it could just be me here) the Batman issues in the 400s were focused primarily on Batman- reinventing his backstory via Year One (even if it isn't necessarly canon), the rise and fall of Jason Todd, the finding of the new (and vastly improved) Robin III- Tim Drake, and then the fall of Batman via Knightfall. It was (IMO) a great group of storylines that really developed Batman as the Dark Knight detective.

Year One, Death in the Family, and Knightfall - three of the top 10 Batman stories came out of this period, so I think this title is safe to excuse when considering Copper Age DC as a whole.

Year One is fantastic stuff, I really like "Ten nights of the Beast" which ran for 4 issues - Somewhere around 415-420 I think

Batman sticking to a stinking red commie plus Jim Aparo got to draw Ronnie Regan !

Also some sweet Mike Zeck covers.

I just read the Alan Moore collection of CA DC stories: Across the Universe. I recommend it highly. Diverse selection of characters from 1985-87. He was at the top of his game and it shows here.

OT: For a modern sampling of Moore I suggest trying Tom Strong.

I can't recall if its been mentioned, but the Wonder Woman TPB: Gods and Mortals is a must-have for any CA collection. Pass it on to a female acquaintance - it'll probably hook'em.

off the top of my head

animalman 1 to 26

teen titans 42 to 44

swamp thing 20 to 51

kravens last hunt

flaming carrot 1 to 10

mr monster 1 to 8

thor 337 to 350

batman 404 to 407

the rocketeer series

and those 2 xmen issues where new york gets transformed and have a million guest stars, 190-191?

I loved the whole Perez/Wolfman Titans run.... 42-44 has already been mentioned, but the whole lead-up to The Judas Contract was great stuff as well.

DD 227-233... I liked "Born Again' as much as I liked the original Miller DD run.

Byrne Superman - especially issue 2 and the backup story to issue 9 (900 miles - the best character study of Lex Luthor you'll ever read).