• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At Long Last I've Gone To Church

33 posts in this topic

adamstrange:

Yes, that Krazy Komics is a pretty good example of what I'd be aiming for on a first Church - and for that matter, first pedigree of any kind! - purchase.

All the structural integrity, all the vibrancy of color, all the gloss and richness of inks, with rather a bit less of the cost takeit.gif

When folks talk about the bad things that can happen to pedigree books because of improper storage, this is one of the prime examples. The owner of all the MH Fiction House got burned, and burned out, by the hobby. After selling a bunch of stuff, he stored away what was left and it sat, and sat, and sat. His son finally started selling off books around town. One of the last things sold was a run of Ka'anga which is still. Unfortunately, other than the coding, they are not recognizable as Church books. VERY brown. Kinda of weird when you think of it. It would be like going to a Van Halen concert, and seeing a replacement guitarist.

Like driving a Ferrari with a 4 cylinder and automatic transmission.

Like (let's see if anyone gets the cattle reference) a polled longhorn!

adamstrange:

Yes, that Krazy Komics is a pretty good example of what I'd be aiming for on a first Church - and for that matter, first pedigree of any kind! - purchase.

All the structural integrity, all the vibrancy of color, all the gloss and richness of inks, with rather a bit less of the cost takeit.gif

When purchased originally it was less than 300 bucks but now...

In any event, I would suggest you do a search on "Church" in the Heritage archives. That will give you a good sense of what's out there and what they go for. There are 18,000 Church books. If you only want one then take some time and look around before you pick one.

Don't know your taste in genres, but Metro has some nice/affordable raw Church Jungles & Jumbos from later in the run. Check 'em out. thumbsup2.gif

The problem with the most of the later Fiction House (other than the Planets) is that they are not good examples of Church books due to the way they were stored during the early to mid-1980's. For about a six year period they were in an un air-conditioned garage apartment stewing in the Houston heat. Because of this they are not representative of the collection in general. Many or most are slightly browning, not killer white. Cool books, but Garth wouldn't be getting the full Church experience.

Sound advice always! What has been surprising (pleasantly so) to me is that I've found a number of FH in the last few years that clearly weren't part of the set that BR stored in his attic. But for what garth is looking (raw Church copies) I wouldn't suggest any late FH book as very few will be coded.

Like driving a Ferrari with a 4 cylinder and automatic transmission.

no worries there, enzo never made an automatic (any size engine!)...

gator

Invaluable insight, Mr.B - thanks for that!

Sounds like when I find a good candidate, I should run it by the board gurus for a final vetting!

If you are serious about getting one, PM me. I have some very affordable Church books that exhibit all the qualities of the collection. I'd be happy to make you a nice deal on one.

Invaluable insight, Mr.B - thanks for that!

Sounds like when I find a good candidate, I should run it by the board gurus for a final vetting!

If you are serious about getting one, PM me. I have some very affordable Church books that exhibit all the qualities of the collection. I'd be happy to make you a nice deal on one.

Ditto, that.

When folks talk about the bad things that can happen to pedigree books because of improper storage, this is one of the prime examples. The owner of all the MH Fiction House got burned, and burned out, by the hobby. After selling a bunch of stuff, he stored away what was left and it sat, and sat, and sat. His son finally started selling off books around town. One of the last things sold was a run of Ka'anga which is still. Unfortunately, other than the coding, they are not recognizable as Church books. VERY brown.

Man, it is just tragic to think that Burl Rowe, one of the guys who lent money to Chuck to buy the collection and got the earliest dibs on the books, ended up being one of the persons who treated the books the worst. frown.gif

When folks talk about the bad things that can happen to pedigree books because of improper storage, this is one of the prime examples. The owner of all the MH Fiction House got burned, and burned out, by the hobby. After selling a bunch of stuff, he stored away what was left and it sat, and sat, and sat. His son finally started selling off books around town. One of the last things sold was a run of Ka'anga which is still. Unfortunately, other than the coding, they are not recognizable as Church books. VERY brown.

Man, it is just tragic to think that Burl Rowe, one of the guys who lent money to Chuck to buy the collection and got the earliest dibs on the books, ended up being one of the persons who treated the books the worst. frown.gif

There is a lot more to the story, and the way Burrel was treated by some members of the hobby during a stressful time in his life contributed to his

exit from comic collecting. The number of books that were affected was small in comparison to the number of books he had. There really was no person

who loved comics more than he. The opportunity he gave me to work at Camelot, and the inspiration he provided with his knowledge and kindness are the

single biggest reason I opened a store and am still involved in collecting comics.

Robert Beerbohm was asking on another thread whether anyone knew where Burl Rowe was because he would know where some of the key San Francisco books went after him - (I think specifically Superman 1???) any idea confused-smiley-013.gif

He has a small law practice in Livingston, TX. Many calls have been made by myself, and other members of the old Houston Comic Collectors Association (which is having its 40th anniversery luncheon June 23rd). Bob is aware of this, is supposed to be at the dinner, and knows Burrel's whereabouts, yet never seems to take the effort to try and contact him. I guess there is some reason that Bob keeps asking.