• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At What Point Will Shipping Costs Kill Your Online Sales?

77 posts in this topic

Hi, joe_collector and All hi.gif

With a Priority Mail in a Flat Rate Box I can place up to six CGC graded comics very well packaged for the new rate of USPS $8.95 to anywhere in the USA.

The new First Class Interenational cost is at the limit most International customers will pay. Although there are persons who really want the comics and will pay what ever the cost of shipping is going to be for that package.

I have been selling comics on eBay for over 9 years and I try to send Priority Mail by exact weight, no handling charges!

AAJ

SIX SLABS? 893whatthe.gif

I can do no more than 4 actually... and I feel comfortable with 3 usually.

How do you package them?

He doesn't - just stuffs them in. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

Domestic is still 'OK' but international is going to hell. I got into an argument recently on eBay with a gentleman from Canada who insisted there was a flat rate box that would fit close to 5 lbs of books and was only $9. We decided on $15 for the shipping price since he couldn't back it up with anything else except quoting me the envelope price. The final shipping cost was $22 and I had to eat about how much the stupid books sold for anyways.

Well, there isn't. Your best bet at this point to Canada is UPS.

Nope, there is a flat rate international box now - just received them. Haven't figured out what the rate is yet though . . . insane.gif

New from the USPS today - when shipping International Priority you must use the pouch customs form - can no longer use the little green customs form. Christo_pull_hair.gif

You can use any old flat rate domestic boxes for international now. Canada rate is $21.85 if you pay and print your label online.

And to the rest of the world, Mr. Postman? poke2.gif

Thanks!

postal explorer - the site the pros use to calc shipping

You can use any old flat rate domestic boxes for international now. Canada rate is $21.85 if you pay and print your label online.

btw, the new flat rate boxes are smaller. gossip.gif

Do you know if we can still use the old ones or do we have to get the new ones now? I still have a bunch of the old flat rate boxes.

I've reached the point of saturation...no more $1.00 books for me, no more sub $5.00 for me even. Also almost no more slabs frown.gif

Shipping has always been a major thorn in my side, I'm out about $1000 per year on shipping alone, but with the recent price hike it's become too much.

And with the surface M-bag gone the way of the dodo as well, hard times are here for the European collector who wants to get big collection going.

I guess I have to count myself lucky that I started collecting 5 years ago and not now, I've had close to 10.000 comics shipped to me from the US, the bulk (the cheaper books) via M-bag. And even if sometimes they took over 3 months to arrive (Hi 'House), they always did arrive and in perfect shape. The new Mbag is about 2 to 3X the shipping price and frankly I don't think I would start from scratch again today.

Lucky (well not really lucky, but you know what I mean) again that the only books still on my want list are all more expensive books. If you buy a $1000 book it isn't really that important if you pay $20.00 or $30.00 shipping...but I sure wouldn't buy a full run of Rom at 50 cents a piece anymore... confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, there isn't. Your best bet at this point to Canada is UPS.

I really hope you're joking. The reason UPS *seems* so cheap is because they ream out the recipient with often-fraudulent customs and duties charges. A $10 book might incur $30-$40 in charges.

The only reason for any US seller to send UPS to Canada would be if you want a pile of negs.

Will someone explain what the fees are that a Canadian buyer would be charged by UPS? How much for a $200 book for example? Thanks.

i've just received one parcel with ten books from UK , letter shipping was around $13 ( seller was great , just ask me $7) , i'm busted makepoint.gif,postage prices are going crazy in Europe too, i think it cost the same to received books with usps from USA

what can we do ?, i think i'll continue to buy the time euro will be strong, the day $ will increase , it'll be over for us

I never list anything separately that has less than $10.00 Overstreet guide value, it just doesn't pay, because they don't go for guide anyway, and the postage is taken into account when people bid....but I DO list cheap books...and I'm usually not terribly unhappy with what I get...

If you list at $.99 cents instead of $1.00 it saves 20 cents, or 20% for those of you who want to try cheap books.

I agree, combining auctions is the ONLY way to sell more books...when I bid, I often look to buy more if they person combines shipping, so I expect people to do the same with me...

I just sent 20 books ot Australia, 2.4 lbs cost me $28.00 and change...the buyer paid $40 for the books...I felt terrible, so I put in some extras...I'm just not posting international shipping, I changed it to US and Canada and write to me if you want to bid from another Country...and I too, am embarrassed when I answer...

What are some rates to Canada again? Maybe I'll open up to Canada.

I sent three magazines and one comic, encased in two 200# sheets of cardboard, to St. Catharines, Ontario for $5.56 Air Mail this morning. Weighed 1 pound 3 ouncees. thumbsup2.gif. I also sent one comic, encased in a 200# sheet of cardboard, to Montreal for $2.24 Air Mail. Weighed about seven ounces.

Hi!

As someone from "somewhere else", i.e. Croatia, Europe, I have to tell you that USPS did something tantamount to ripping the guts out of the international trade and coating them with sugar and spice saying it now has "simplified" service.

Simplified my shiny metal *spoon*.

I tried to make sense of it all, but it simply reminds me of a cleverly thought out tax office and customs plan for making more money.

1. They took ALL boat shipping out.

2. They left two affordable flat rate shipping options (envelope and parcel) BUT they must be of precise maximum dimensions and if you have even one book that overshoots them - goodbye, you're heading for a 150% hike in postage.

3. It's all registered now, and although this is good news for tracking purposes, there is no longer an option of having items sent at "personal risk" where no customs charges would be paid. And believe me, when you get stuck with an $80 charge for a $80 package, it darm well makes a difference.

What I don't quite understand from where I am and perhaps some of you can explain it to me is HOW it could happen that they were allowed to do this?!

I mean wouldn't the surface shipping industry pressure them? The government??

In any case, it's an impossible situation, whan which I see no exit from under these circumstances...

Cheers!