• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM X-Men 51

12 posts in this topic

Back cover is a little off color due to some "dust smudgin" (or whatever you call it), has some dings along the left edge, a handful of spine stresses, minor corner blunting, but staples that are silver and tight.

Front Cover, again, dings along both edges with some color breaks, corner blunting, and the date stamp. No spine roll and looks nice and flat.

I'd probably go for 5.5 - 6.0. It's not so much that there is anything major wrong with this issue at all-- it's just that there are a lot of minor things that keep it from the HG ranges of VF<.

Still, it's a great looking issue that presents very nicely, and by far one of my favorite X-Men covers going.

Don't forget, it's an art, not a science. 5.5 might be a little low, but without having it in hand to see otherwise, I wouldn't put in the 7.0 range. I've seen a 8.0 CGC graded comic with the only defects being about half the amount of spine defects here, so yeah, I'm comfortable with my grading. I'd rather grade more conservatively than overgrade.

Unless that crease in the LRC of the BC scan is truly bad (and it might be but I'm assuming it's not a full indent like it appears int he picture) that looks pretty much exactly 7.0 to me.

That said if that dent is huge and goes through the whole book, obviously it would be less.

None taken thumbsup2.gif. This is, afterall, just for fun. And in a subjective field like this (compounded further by only seeing scans), I'm more surprised when everyone has the exact same grade for an issue. Are we just following the crowd, or carefully looking at the issue and making our own determination?

Ultimately, every grader here is placing this issue somewhere in the Fine category- whether a weak (VG/FN) or strong (FN/VF). So really, the tolerance isn't completely out of whack.

The pages on this one are white/off-white and the back ding is only on the back cover - so I had this one at a strong 7.0. Sure looks nicer but the couple defects just can't be over-come. Thanks for all the input!!