• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you predict will be "hot" in 15 years ????

663 posts in this topic

my bad, I meant mayans... I am not up on my end of the world theories like I should be.

If comics are still being collected, as I believe will be true, its going to be -

GA super keys are the property of museums, you can't touch them.

SA keys are the new gold, Spidey #1-50 are insanely expensive

BA is high, but only high grade

Copper is doing sick things for 9.8 copies, $400-$800 for sought after books, which shockingly will be DC's since they are so much harder (kinda like adams books now...)

Vertigo books will blow you away! $1k swamp thing #21's in 9.8, $800 Sandman #1's, Hellblazer #27, forget it, $1k in 9.8, the Girl Who Would be Death Mini, several hundred a piece, Animal Man #1 & Doom Patrrol #19 - $500 books

late 90's mainstreams will be the new sought after upstart

I do believe collecting will still exist until at least my generation is beyond it. We who were reading comics in the early 80's to late 80's, before the craziness of the 90's all seem to have extremely fond memories of the books, and digital versions just won't cut it.

all that barring huge financial crashes, famine, Flooding on a mass scale , nuclear or chemical war, or Mayan death

1841824-stay-puff.jpg

1841824-stay-puff.jpg.308d161b22a41140a76b6be0bce5e0a5.jpg

Whatever was published and collected in the late 1990s. The rule of 25 always holds. thumbsup2.gif

Is that rule applied to kids feeling nostalgic for their youth? I hope your are correct, but if the current collector is 30-40 and not being replenished with kids, I doubt when we get 55-65 we will be collecting 90's stuff.

Nintendo's and playstation's will be the hot tickets in 25 years when kids today have disposable income.

my bad, I meant mayans... I am not up on my end of the world theories like I should be.

If comics are still being collected, as I believe will be true, its going to be -

GA super keys are the property of museums, you can't touch them.

SA keys are the new gold, Spidey #1-50 are insanely expensive

BA is high, but only high grade

Copper is doing sick things for 9.8 copies, $400-$800 for sought after books, which shockingly will be DC's since they are so much harder (kinda like adams books now...)

Vertigo books will blow you away! $1k swamp thing #21's in 9.8, $800 Sandman #1's, Hellblazer #27, forget it, $1k in 9.8, the Girl Who Would be Death Mini, several hundred a piece, Animal Man #1 & Doom Patrrol #19 - $500 books

late 90's mainstreams will be the new sought after upstart

I do believe collecting will still exist until at least my generation is beyond it. We who were reading comics in the early 80's to late 80's, before the craziness of the 90's all seem to have extremely fond memories of the books, and digital versions just won't cut it.

all that barring huge financial crashes, famine, Flooding on a mass scale , nuclear or chemical war, or Mayan death

I think this is a fairly decent prognostication grin.gif

EXCEPT:

Gold will still be available - however I agree with previous posters that only the mainstream (Supes, Bats, Action, Det., etc.) and proven super-rare will break records.

Simple fact of older, casual, collector base dying out - & - even though younger collectors digging it - they don't have the same emotional attachment as anyone who bought them off the stands. They won't seek out obscure stuff.

Silver and Bronze - will explode further and further...in high grade due to: emotional attachment of the "next generation" of collectors such as currently in GA books... and genuine scarcity in HG will fuel this - I also feel that SA/BA will have a similar explosion in value for obscure titles, just as GA oddball books are now sought after, just for their obscurity...

Copper 9.8's ??? All I can say is...Good luck with that... I wouldn't plan on retiring just yet...

hot 15 years from now...

When I think of 'hot' I think of the ability for people to get it, but it might be tougher to get ahold of. Detective 27 is not a hot book in the sense as we use it today. Will hot even been the word used 15 years from now 27_laughing.gif

I tend to agree with Donut on the rule of 25. 15 years from now some new writer or artist will remember when X-23 was their favorite character growing up (sigh) and early appearances will go up after they make her the new leader of the X-People and the Newly Mutants...

While we will not see the market revamped entirely, I think we will all laugh at how "what once was old (and terrible) is new (and sells) again" 15 years from now if we are all lucky enough to see that day.

While this thread has had many moments ( pop rocks, Rush 2112/ Subdivisions headbang.gif,and Biddy biddy biddy among others) I think Dans comments while scary, will probably bear fruit. 893whatthe.gif

Sure the keys from every era will always sell well, and the lesser esoteric titles will fade away. The fun part will be seeing the market changes that take place in not only what we buy, but how we buy it.

Lately there have been several threads that brought up different aspects of where our hobby is, and where it is going. Be it shipping or how the Internet plays its role.

But as Steve brought up with his thread. How will the hobby evolve over time based on what we see?

I think CGC will be around, even if they have to branch out to reach new people and genres. They put crahp we like to collect inside plastic, so we can buy and sell it more safely. They have only just begun imho.

Aside from that it is a crahpshoot. Either that , or I am too tired and am out of ideas.