• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my last, last i tell you, attempted transaction with metropolis

379 posts in this topic

in all seriousness, I don't understand why people are getting thier panties in a bunch over a dealer rejecting an offer? why are you taking it so personally? either buy the book or don't. But no need to make drama over it. Move on.

Thank you for that constructive insight, GE. Suffice to say that some people see a tree, while other people see a forest.

warn them about... what?

That Darth Vader is a very poor choice to captain the volleyball team at the company picnic?

STEVE

in all seriousness, I don't understand why people are getting thier panties in a bunch over a dealer rejecting an offer? why are you taking it so personally? either buy the book or don't. But no need to make drama over it. Move on.

Thank you for that constructive insight, GE. Suffice to say that some people see a tree, while other people see a forest.

STEVE

So then talk about the forest. Or at least talk about a more relevant 'tree'. There are plenty of bad things one could say about Metro. But not accepting offers? If James Payette (or any other more dealer) didn't accept a bunch of offers, would this thread have been started? I doubt it.

STEVE

I see the squirrels in the forest..(obscure reference to another post from those nuts in the WC)

It basically comes down to whether Metro are confident on attaining their price or not.

I have had offers turned down immediately and others also accepted on major books.

As a business their initial reaction like many will be to turn down an offer (they don't need to immediately turmover a book at any cost).

If the book stays on their website longer than they expected they are open to offers within their price range (the longer it doesn't sell the better the discount).

George

There are plenty of bad things one could say about Metro. But not accepting offers? If James Payette (or any other more dealer) didn't accept a bunch of offers, would this thread have been started? I doubt it.

Good point, mattbird - no, it wouldn't have started because James Payette is a dealer with integrity.

STEVE

The make an offer button has frustrated me too....

But, Metro has no obligation to offer a great deal on each book, their business model obvously depends on a great selection rather than rock bottom prices.

If you feel like you have to get a low price to enjoy a book than you should what for an auction and take your chances. If you want to snap up a book you love, Metro is a great place to start.

Metro is exteremely professional and has exceptional customer service.

my "low price" was above guide, and higher than i paid within the last month for two high-grade copies of the same title book at the same guide level. NOT a low-ball offer at all.

In my opinion you are making a big error in lumping all of the Frazetta Famous Funnies into one price category just because Overstreet does.

#215 is the hardest issue to find and 209 and 211 are probably the easiest. This is because a long time ago a number of high grade Famous Funnies turned up. Not all of the issues, though. Check the CGC census.

There are 26 unrestored copies of #209 in CGC 8.0 or better condition, of which 9 are 9.2 or better.

There are 24 unrestored copies of #211 in CGC 8.0 or better condition, of which 8 are 9.2 or better.

There are only 8 unrestored copies of #215 in CGC 7.0 or better, of which 8.5 is the highest grade and there is only 1.

Do you still think a #215 in 7.5 should sell for less than a #209/211 in 8.0?

And that's not taking into consideration that #215 is the "best" of the Frazetta covers (in my opinion).

ECFANMAN

This post says a lot. That is a dramatic difference in census numbers between the books sold on ebay and the one BP wanted.

Doesn't necessarily explain why Metro asks for offers on books they will not budge on, but it goes a long way toward justifying their initial price and the potential difficulty in replacing the 215.

In my opinion you are making a big error in lumping all of the Frazetta Famous Funnies into one price category just because Overstreet does.

#215 is the hardest issue to find and 209 and 211 are probably the easiest. This is because a long time ago a number of high grade Famous Funnies turned up. Not all of the issues, though. Check the CGC census.

There are 26 unrestored copies of #209 in CGC 8.0 or better condition, of which 9 are 9.2 or better.

There are 24 unrestored copies of #211 in CGC 8.0 or better condition, of which 8 are 9.2 or better.

There are only 8 unrestored copies of #215 in CGC 7.0 or better, of which 8.5 is the highest grade and there is only 1.

And that's not taking into consideration that #215 is the "best" of the Frazetta covers (in my opinion).

ECFANMAN

Is mine the only decoder ring that can decipher this post? Seems to me like the above is the most salient thing said in this entire thread...

ECFANMAN

Is mine the only decoder ring that can decipher this post? Seems to me like the above is the most salient thing said in this entire thread...

Your ring is broken, mine says #215 sucks so bad not many people want to submit it for grading.

The make an offer button has frustrated me too....

But, Metro has no obligation to offer a great deal on each book, their business model obvously depends on a great selection rather than rock bottom prices.

If you feel like you have to get a low price to enjoy a book than you should what for an auction and take your chances. If you want to snap up a book you love, Metro is a great place to start.

Metro is exteremely professional and has exceptional customer service.

my "low price" was above guide, and higher than i paid within the last month for two high-grade copies of the same title book at the same guide level. NOT a low-ball offer at all.

ECFANMAN

This post says a lot. That is a dramatic difference in census numbers between the books sold on ebay and the one BP wanted.

Doesn't necessarily explain why Metro asks for offers on books they will not budge on, but it goes a long way toward justifying their initial price and the potential difficulty in replacing the 215.

all immaterial to me; the bottom line is i made an offer that was LESS THAN A 10% DISCOUNT on a book with a 'make an offer' button, and then got an email INVITING A COUNTEROFFER when all they wanted to give up was shipping--when you hit the 'make an offer' button, it asks you to name your price, not say "i'll take it if you throw in the shipping." i feel that invited counteroffer was insulting, and it pizzed me off. i've had many offers rejected, but this was the first time i figured it was worth posting.

ECFANMAN

and do you also agree that $700 is the "halfway" point between 650 and 715 as the second email suggested? do tell.

the halfway thing is kind of funny, I admit... but at the end of the day all they did is decline your offer. I appreciate how you're feeling; it sucks when a deal won't work on a book you want, but they've really done nothing wrong here, the mathematics of the halfway point aside. You must be pizzed off about past experiences, methinks.

Personally, I bought one '9.6' book from them and when I found it to be a 9.0-9.2, I returned it and haven't considered dealing with them since. End of story. Mind you, many dealers overgrade a bit..

but they've really done nothing wrong here, the mathematics of the halfway point aside. You must be pizzed off about past experiences, methinks.

"something wrong" implies i'm making a normative judgment--i am not. from the outset, i indicated it was their book and their business policy and hence they were within their 'rights.' i feel i'm also within my rights to talk about it on the boards, hence here we are.