• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Countdown Discussion Thread

25 posts in this topic

Rather than search through all the other threads, I thought we could put all the discussion here in this thread.

Anyway, I just finished reading #47, and really enjoyed the Black Adam/Mary Marvel storyline. Wow, does Mary look awesome in black & gold grin.gif

Looks like the Monitors are about to go on the warpath too.

Will read #46 tomorrow - looking forward to where MM goes from here thumbsup2.gif

The Black Adam mini in August takes place between 52 and Countdown, so we'll see how he got his powers back.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

The interesting thing is that he said "Shazam" when transferring power to Mary, not "Garfunkel" or "Liverwurst", which means that someone reset the word from whatever Shazam/Fabio Marvel originally changed it to. Who can do that?

The Black Adam mini in August takes place between 52 and Countdown, so we'll see how he got his powers back.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

The interesting thing is that he said "Shazam" when transferring power to Mary, not "Garfunkel" or "Liverwurst", which means that someone reset the word from whatever Shazam/Fabio Marvel originally changed it to. Who can do that?

The writers.

*POSSIBLE SPOILER*

The writers.

Yeah, I just read that issue, and I was confused myself. Things happen and get changed so quick these days in DC and MARVEL comics.... I'm finding it hard to follow these universes...

I was disappointed to see that Black Adam was back in full form so quickly, simply because I thought that was a great twist ending in 52. That scene where Adam is walking the streets alone trying to figure out the new secret word...that was great stuff! Sad to see the drama lost so quickly.

I was disappointed to see that Black Adam was back in full form so quickly, simply because I thought that was a great twist ending in 52. That scene where Adam is walking the streets alone trying to figure out the new secret word...that was great stuff! Sad to see the drama lost so quickly.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make (you said it better). It was definitely one of the better outcomes of 52. It's not like he would remain that way forever, but it would have been nice for a bit of time.

Pat

you gotta remember that it's been a year since 52 in the comics, altho for us readers it's only been a few weeks.

True, but Black Adam loses his powers at the end of 52, so it's not that much of a time gap between that episode and the start of countdown...I think.

I was really hoping Adam would be out of the spotlight for two years or so, and just be p'od the entire time, thinking about what he would do to the heroes if and when he found the magic word. Then upon finding out, having some well thought out plan of retaliation.

Now I like for the last couple years how they've been weaving things in and out of the original Crisis...but...is Forerunner the best they could come up with as a replacement word for Harbinger?

Silly.

Like the concept though and 45 had a cool little back blurb about some Monitor/Forerunner history.

Is that Faust's arm on the bottom panel of the Holly Robinson page?

The person observing Forerunner looks sadly 90s Marvel/Image...Cable...Youngblood...etc.

I read 46 and 45 last night. I was a bit underwhelmed. It feels like they're stretching things out to fit them into the 52-part weekly format. With 52, the stories seemed more focused and were more interesting. I'm considering dropping Countdown.

I read 46 and 45 last night. I was a bit underwhelmed. It feels like they're stretching things out to fit them into the 52-part weekly format. With 52, the stories seemed more focused and were more interesting. I'm considering dropping Countdown.

I didn't read 52, so I don't have that comparison to make. I am really enjoying it! I like having a weekly comic to look forward to! yay.gif

well 44 was the first 'weak' issue for me.

a lot of transition and most of it not really that gripping for me.

Is this Monarch still Capt Atom? I don't keep up with his appearances, if any since Armageddon and Bludhaven.

Wondering what purpose the Mamzons are going to serve.