• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Avengers 11

29 posts in this topic

I'm a newbie here (obviously!), and still learning about grading, so this forum will be a good test for me.

I agree with Dad&Son on this one: CGC 6.5 Fine+

I'd like to say 7.5, but there are a few too many visible stress lines, plus the visible bends/creases on the front and back (even though they don't break the ink), and blunted corners.

How'd I do? Anything else I'm missing?

How does the PGX grading differ from CGC? Can anyone point me in the direction of a link with PGX info?

6.5, based on creases, especially on back cover. Book would probably be improved by pressing, if one were so inclined.

interesting observations - i'll guess that CGC gave this book a 5.5 and PGX a 5.0. those non-color breaking creases on the FC spine are not too bad but will still drop the grade appreciably. tho BC creases though are gradekillers. I had a few books with these kind of BC defects get hammered................ frown.gif

still a VERY displayable copy............ thumbsup2.gif

Those long bends on the back make it a really tough call. CGC can hammer those, and sometimes they seem to let 'em slide. My sense is that PGX would grade slightly higher than CGC on a midgrade book.

I'd say CGC 7.0, PGX 7.5

Me: 7.0

If you were so inclined, a light dry clean with a white eraser on the back cover would probably improve eye appeal greatly. The bends are accentuated by the light dirt along the ridges.

I knew this one would fool most, It would me, but Zipper got the closest to real, and to actuall.

Mind you guys for some reason my hi-rez scanner magnified creases on back. In hand they are barely noticable...that being said.

My grade in hand 8.0

Bought of ebay as a CGC 9.0

Regraded at PGX got 7.0

Thanks for imput.

paul

Yeah, a little high, but a good o'l pressin might get you a 9.2. Its weird, if you saw it in your hands raw you could see that those creases on the back cover are almost non-existant. The scan just magnified them some how! If you cup the book in your hands just slightly the creases almost don't show at all. Still I think 8.0, is the best grade at least viewed in person, and 7.0 is harsh. The page quality is so nice....should have left it in the CGC holder. tonofbricks.gif

Just curious Paul, do any of the creases on the BC go through to the interior pages?

That top one looks really severe, and if it was anything but white I imagine they would stand out quite a bit more. I am just curious about how it looks in hand when you view the inside BC.

Also, the FC looks fabulous, so cgc obviously overlooked the BC issues somewhat but did downgrade slightly for them(which you say are not as bad in person) Yet PGX hammered the book for I assume those same flaws CGC did not?

Most confusing.

Ze-

Zee,

As I said earlier, those creases are hardly visable in the hand. My scanner really did a number on them and made each one pop. The creases are not visable on interior, and barely at all on inside cover. I should take a picture with just my camera to show the difference. I will try to do that tonight, I never thought the books was better than 8.0 to 8.5. By looking at it and I am not a pro, I would say 3 months under a stack of books and those creases would disapear all of the way. They really are very, very light.

Paul

PGX notes:

Personal name stamp on back page, moderate creasing on back cover.

light spine stress, slight color break.

Misswrap,

These are the answers I go from Daniel after the grading, because if you held the book you would say 8.0 all day, you just have to trust me on this.

Paul

I'm sure there are other threads on this...but what is the general consensus PGX grades vs. CGC? These 2 examples show PGX much stricter (or CGC much more lenient) - is that generally the case? If so, shouldn't that make PGX books worth more? Just wondering...

Just curious Paul, do any of the creases on the BC go through to the interior pages?

That top one looks really severe, and if it was anything but white I imagine they would stand out quite a bit more. I am just curious about how it looks in hand when you view the inside BC.

Also, the FC looks fabulous, so cgc obviously overlooked the BC issues somewhat but did downgrade slightly for them(which you say are not as bad in person) Yet PGX hammered the book for I assume those same flaws CGC did not?

Most confusing.

Ze-

Ze,

Here is a more realistic picture of the back and front. Taken with a 10.5 meg camera. As to a 4800X4800 pix scanner!

Avengers11f2.jpgAvengers11b2.jpg

The creases on back cover do not go through even the back cover. I carefully looked inside and saw no traces of the stress lines. They are so faint, which Is why I stated a good press and she would go high grade.

I stand by my earlier statement.

Most confusing.

That FC is stellar, and the BC is not as bad as first thought.

I wish all my 7.0 books looked like this.

Are you going to keep this book?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ze-