• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #2

34 posts in this topic

Received this yesterday. Curious to hear what everyone thinks CGC would grade these at.

There's damage to the cover and the center spread around the top staple on #2, I think caused by rust. See the closeup. The staple has popped through the center spread, but the spread is still securely attached by the bottom staple and the book is still very tight. There's also some darkening (sun shadow?) on the back cover down the spine side. Otherwise, it's a nice book. Pages are OW.

1f.jpg

1b1.jpg

1b.jpg

Sweet looking copy. If I was keeping it for myself, I'd swap out the rusted staple pronto, and stick it in a nice Mylar. If I were selling it, I'd do nothing and ship it directly to CGC -- do not pass go, and still collect your $200, and then some grin.gif

What's best grade I could give it? Again, the rusted staple and migration drops it out of the VF range (7.0 - 9.0), but it's got a lot of positives going for it . . .

6.5 sumo.gif

I've got zero experience with swapping staples, and I'd be worried I'd to more harm than good. Is there a trick to it, or is it just slow and cautious use of needle nose pliers?

Either way, I think I'll CGC it, in which case I'll leave the rusty lil guy alone.

--------

BTW, the seller graded it at 9.0 (!!!), but I got it for the price of a 6.5. So I'm feeling OK about it.

Tough book to grade.....I might have to go a little lower than 6.5.

Maybe even 5.5. That staple issue and the rust.....Very pretty otherwise.

My guess is CGC will hit the rust harsh! I don't believe they will go over 4.5, but then again it is a beautifull copy! You might get luck and get a 5.0! From what I have seen, they don't go much over a 4.5 with rust migration. Really, really nice copy!

That is an amazing book.

The FC displays as well as one could ever hope for. And the BC is interestingby how it tells a story. The spine area with the sundamage was obviously exposed to mositure at some point that rusted the staple, that migrated to the paper. Yet the bottom staple while showing the same minor sun shadow, has no rust.

The detached centerfold , sun shadow damage and rusted area are all isolated damage. And while my heart wants to take into account the overall good condition of the rest of the book and give it a 6.5

I think 5.0 is more in line.

It is really a terrific book, and as was mentioned earlier if there is potential for more rust migration, I would swap them out with a vintage staple. Because that paper will only get worse if any moisture is present.

Ze-

That is an amazing book.

The FC displays as well as one could ever hope for. And the BC is interestingby how it tells a story. The spine area with the sundamage was obviously exposed to mositure at some point that rusted the staple, that migrated to the paper. Yet the bottom staple while showing the same minor sun shadow, has no rust.

The detached centerfold , sun shadow damage and rusted area are all isolated damage. And while my heart wants to take into account the overall good condition of the rest of the book and give it a 6.5

I think 5.0 is more in line.

It is really a terrific book, and as was mentioned earlier if there is potential for more rust migration, I would swap them out with a vintage staple. Because that paper will only get worse if any moisture is present.

Ze-

Which, of course, is exactly my position. grin.gif

Beautiful book. I think 5.0 is a little too harsh here. The staple rust sucks, but one rusty staple does not (in my mind) equal the other defects that are usually present on a VG/F...defects this copy does not have. The front presents like a 9.2, just can't drop it down that far.

I agree with Divad, 6.0/6.5 from me.

I checked both staples with a high magnification printer's loupe. The bottom staple is 100% rust-free. The top staple shows no rust on the outside; the only visible rust is on the upper "arm" of the staple, when you look at it in the center of the book. The rust damage to the paper looks very old, and it's very dry. Would it still continue to migrate if I kept the book in a controlled environment?

Nik had a book in his grading contest that most of us guessed to be 9.4 and it came back 7.5 due to a rusty staple. The rust you have is considerably worse since it has stained the paper around it. Stains get hit pretty hard as well. I would say 6.0/6.5 on a good day.

I will concede that the book should grade out a solid FINE

But the popped centerfold keeps reminding me just how badly damaged the paper is, if the paper was damaged enough to give way to the centerfold on what is otherwise a VERY HG book it is very damaged.

Now I can see why a book might fall into that frustrating "qualified" category. The added dust shadow aside of course.

I still say as is, 6.0 tops. But what a 6.0 it is.

Nice book

Ze-

I read last night that you can change a staple without affecting the grade, provided it's not an otherwise mint book and you use a vintage staple.

So maybe I should do that to prevent further damage.

But how? Is there a tried and tested technique I should know about?

C'mon all you veterans - give me the word! I'm counting on your experience.

Cheers

D