• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newsstand photo circa Dec '42

14 posts in this topic

Here is a picture of a "cooperative canteen" in DEC '42. You can see some pulps against the wall and on the shelf to the right appears some comics. I identified the two Fiction house titles Fight #23 and Rangers #9. The one to the left of the Fight #23 appears to have somebody in a glass jar? Anyway a big no-prize if anyone can identify it. thumbsup2.gif

newstandphoto.jpg

newstandcomics.jpgfight23.jpgrangers9.jpg

This is a street corner newsstand in San Francisco with a mini comics spinner rack.

SFcomicsrack.jpg

I love this. The spinner rack is just the right size to attract the attention of little kids!

This is a street corner newsstand in San Francisco with a mini comics spinner rack.

SFcomicsrack.jpg

I love this. The spinner rack is just the right size to attract the attention of little kids!

Yeah, I noticed that too, they also stocked it with the right comics for the ones who would be at that eye level. grin.gif

Whenever I see these types of pictures, I wonder where these comics are now. Do they still exist? Were they recycled? In a landfill?

Love the pics. smile.gif

Probably a lot of them from '41-'45 were recylced for the war paper drives. Does anyone know exactly when this initiative started, towards the end of the war? Just another item that adds to the mystique of GA books. cloud9.gif

Here is another picture from Nov/Dec 1946 (?). This is a street corner newsstand in San Francisco with a mini comics spinner rack.

SFnewsstand.jpg

BTW, this photo dates to November 6, 1946. Election Day was November 5. thumbsup2.gif

Whenever I see these types of pictures, I wonder where these comics are now. Do they still exist? Were they recycled? In a landfill?

Love the pics. smile.gif

Probably a lot of them from '41-'45 were recylced for the war paper drives. Does anyone know exactly when this initiative started, towards the end of the war? Just another item that adds to the mystique of GA books. cloud9.gif

Looks like a fair chunk of them were destroyed right there in the wire spinner rack!

Those pockets appear too small for the books. Were they already anticipating the arrival of the silver age? Or did the publishers later cut down on the size of the books so that they would more easily fit in the racks? This photo appears to be proof that it wasn't JUST a cost issue! One more question that must be answered....