• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signature series not for every book

31 posts in this topic

If you had a 9.8 universal AF 15 would you want Stan Lee signing it? I for one would not.. i have a few of my moderns signed but these are easily replaceable. For some inexplainable reason i cringe when i see older spideys with yellow labels. Anyone else feel like this?

I understand why to get a sig, but i just guess i want the work to be covered in marker.

I am not trying to detract from anyone who likes SS, and i think SS is a great way to keep out counterfeits.. But i just dont think its for every book.

I agree with you somewhat. If the signature doesn't impact the look of the cover then I don't mind having it on the front. But there are definitely times when I would prefer not to have a bright, silver sharpie scribble across something like an AF #15. For that I would request the signature on the first page. Still SS goodness, with an untouched cover. thumbsup2.gif

What he said.

I have a few signatures on books (not certified, but I don't care cause I saw 'em being done).None on the cover, just discreetly below the indicia on the first page. ASM 39 by John Romita Sr, Paul Chadwick (Concrete), Dave Stevens (Rocketeer). You get the picture.

I, too, think the scribble that passes for many sigs splashed across the cover of any book just detracts from the cover regardless.

Just my 2c

I think a signed Silver Age looks pretty nice, but I think the way the person signs it and where the signature is done is very important on certain issues. I'm picking up an Amazing Spider-Man 39 signed by JRSR on the cover, but it's in the lower right part of the cover on the sky background. The artwork itself isn't affected at all, so I think this sort of enhances the look of the cover.

I've some instances where the indvidual writes on the artwork, and unless this was someone like Lee, Ditko, JRSR, or Kirby, I'd probably be a little disappointed.

Years from now, collectors and investors will be shaking their heads at those who defaced their HG keys with a scrawled signature on the cover.

It's just bizarre. We all know that valuation is based on condition, and ink scrawls definitely lower the true grade.

All my SS is on the cover and I have given my reasons in the past.

For older books, I usually get lower to mid grades signed. I don't see the problem if there are a 50,000 copies of a certain book and 100 are signed and encapsulated, it's not going to water down the value that much and opens up an entire new niche. How many people wish they had wil eisner now?

Years from now, collectors and investors will be shaking their heads at those who defaced their HG keys with a scrawled signature on the cover.

It's just bizarre. We all know that valuation is based on condition, and ink scrawls definitely lower the true grade.

Books are also valued based on condition, but check anywhere (Book conventions abebooks.com) and you will see that an authenticated signature on a book far outvalues it's unsigned counterpart. Your statement is false.

Books are also valued based on condition, but check anywhere (Book conventions abebooks.com) and you will see that an authenticated signature on a book far outvalues it's unsigned counterpart. Your statement is false.

How is my statement false? Because BOOK dealers get authors to sign INSIDE the cover on an item that has VERY LITTLE VALUE on the resale market?

I realize this, as I have had some books signed and instead of selling them for $5, I can now sell them for $50... but you do realize we're talking about COMIC BOOKS, right?

In terms of HG key issues, I stand by my statement and feel that in the future, something like a GS X-Men #1 CGC 9.8 clean will outsell a similar CGC 9.8 SS copy with "Len Wein" scrawled on the cover. Same with virtually any creator, and only Stan Lee's sig will be immune (or Ditko if you could get him / Kirby if he was still alive).

Remember, I'm only talking about HIGH-GRADE KEYS, for which the investor market has always been rather anal about sigs, date stamps, or writing of any kind.

How is my statement false? Because BOOK dealers get authors to sign INSIDE the cover on an item that has VERY LITTLE VALUE on the resale market?

I realize this, as I have had some books signed and instead of selling them for $5, I can now sell them for $50... but you do realize we're talking about COMIC BOOKS, right?

In terms of HG key issues, I stand by my statement and feel that in the future, something like a GS X-Men #1 CGC 9.8 clean will outsell a similar CGC 9.8 SS copy with "Len Wein" scrawled on the cover. Same with virtually any creator, and only Stan Lee's sig will be immune (or Ditko if you could get him / Kirby if he was still alive).

Remember, I'm only talking about HIGH-GRADE KEYS, for which the investor market has always been rather anal about sigs, date stamps, or writing of any kind.

The comic market is fairly similar to the book market. Both are graded based on condition both are priced based on scarcity/demand/quality of story.

So your saying Stan Lee’s, Ditko or Kirby’s signatures on these High Grade Keys are immune to your statement that signatures devalue HG Key books? Are you making exceptions now? Let’s wait another decade for Heath, Ayers, Friedrich, Feldstein to pass and let’s see you make more exceptions.

The comic market is fairly similar to the book market. Both are graded based on condition both are priced based on scarcity/demand/quality of story.

I have bought and sold a few books in my time, and are you really saying that if the author signs it in on the COVER or DUST JACKET, it's increases the value?

I've only seen them on the inside pages, though I have seen marker sigs on the jacket harder to sell, and I don't think I've seen any on the actual cover. confused-smiley-013.gif

I have bought and sold a few books in my time, and are you really saying that if the author signs it in on the COVER or DUST JACKET, it's increases the value?

I've only seen them on the inside pages, though I have seen marker sigs on the jacket harder to sell, and I don't think I've seen any on the actual cover. confused-smiley-013.gif

If I have a 1ed 1st print copy of Atlas Shrugged signed by Ayn Rand on the front cover or back cover or even the spine, I GUARANTEE that it will far outvalue any unsigned copy of that book.

In that market, I'd much rather have it signed on the inside, just like in comics.

What do you think would be worth more, that Atlas Shrugged 1st ed.:

1) Signed on the inside page.

2) Signed on the cover.

If you take 2) then you know nothing about book collectors.

Well... in a way though, wouldn't it make sense that having a key issue signed by the person who did the artwork or the storyline for that comic increase its value? Now, maybe the reality of it when it comes time to the marketplace says differently, but it just seems like the signed copy would be more desireable...

Well... in a way though, wouldn't it make sense that having a key issue signed by the person who did the artwork or the storyline for that comic increase its value? Now, maybe the reality of it when it comes time to the marketplace says differently, but it just seems like the signed copy would be more desireable...

Re-read my original comments and you'll see I'm NOT talking about signed vs. unsigned, but the fact that I think defacing the COVER of a HG Key with a marker scrawl is bad for the longterm value and saleability of the book.

Just have them sign it on a margin of the first page, get the SS, and be done with it. That's that way it's historically been done with hardcovers, and makes the most sense going forward.

Now if you're talking some common Modern POS or low-grade copy, that has no bearing on my comments. Go ahead and wreck those to your heart's content. thumbsup2.gif

In that market, I'd much rather have it signed on the inside, just like in comics.

What do you think would be worth more, that Atlas Shrugged 1st ed.:

1) Signed on the inside page.

2) Signed on the cover.

If you take 2) then you know nothing about book collectors.

I know that inside page is where book collectors want their auto's, I was just stating that any autograph from Ayn Rand is preferable to none at all, and any Ditko or Kirby auto is preferable to none at all. And it's straying from the original point of conversation, whether or not sigs on a book will increase it's value over non-signed books. Location, maybe a side or separate discussion.

I know that inside page is where book collectors want their auto's, I was just stating that any autograph from Ayn Rand is preferable to none at all, and any Ditko or Kirby auto is preferable to none at all. And it's straying from the original point of conversation, whether or not sigs on a book will increase it's value over non-signed books. Location, maybe a side or separate discussion.

To me, and many others, the location of the signature is everything.

Just like high-end book collectors, many comic collectors or investors will not even look at a SS copy with a cover scrawl on it, while one on the inside pages is far more attractive, as it does not deface the cover.

To me, and many others, the location of the signature is everything.

Just like high-end book collectors, many comic collectors or investors will not even look at a SS copy with a cover scrawl on it, while one on the inside pages is far more attractive, as it does not deface the cover.

thumbsup2.gif

I wouldnt even think of taking the chance submitting a AF 15 9.8 to get signed. How much would that book demand if it existed 750,000 - 1,000,000 ??? Stan Lee puts a imprint on the front cover and its a 9.6 or worse and you lose a couple hundred thousand... no thanks insane.gif Just being realistic