• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: SILVER AGE SURVIVOR SERIES - Round 7

Choose the next comic to depart  

546 members have voted

1. 1. Choose the next comic to depart

90 posts in this topic

I will confess to a bit of inconsistency in the "1st appearance" debate as I have tried to vote off Ant-Man from the beginning. Looking back, I jumped the gun on him too early but stuck by my guns. (Stubborness. 27_laughing.gif ) I still would've voted him off by now as I don't consider him to be a character/icon of the same status as what's left.

By that reasoning, and I do agree with it, the bulk of the DC books should fall in the next successive rounds. DC really only has two big guns, after that it's marvel all the way.

And for ref, I do collect DC, and contrary to my own opinions, none of my DC books include the 'big guns'. It's not all about 'liquidity' for some of us.

Yes, but from your post it seemed you were saying Flash 105 should go before JLA 1, which made no sense to me.

I don't disagree that "first own title" is outranked by a first appearance. I note just for the record that ASM #1 is not a first appearance nor is it a "first own title", since FF #1 holds that distinction for Marvel. wink.gif

To be honest, I don't really care about the results of this contest. What's more interesting to me is seeing the reasoning behind people's voting.

Clearly there is what I call the teeny-bopper contingent who are voting purely on Marvel/DC lines, and thereby show their complete lack of understanding or appreciation of comic history (similar to pre-adolescent girls who really thought [fill in the name of teen-age heartthrob] was the greatest singer in history). There is no more point debating with them than debating with my 7-year old daughter that the Beatles are musically more significant than Hilary Duff.

Then there is the more thoughtful contingent who appear to be voting based upon their understanding of comic history. I count you and Borock among that contingent, which is why it's been worthwhile to challenge both of your posts.

just wanted to give you a 27_laughing.gifhail.gif893naughty-thumb.gif for this. now there's the old tth2 we know and love!

I still think JLA #1 should have been gone before GL #1. sumo.gif

There's a lot of antipathy towards the Legion apparently. I'm wondering if this is all part of people here being uncomfortable with reminders that super-hero comics were intended for most of their existance to be cheap entertainment for children? (e.g. "Bouncing Boy," "Matter-Eater Lad," "Duo Damsel" etc.) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

funny thing about JLA (and this contest) I have a soft spot for JLA1 that blinds me to its relative standing in this arena. I like it more than 105 even though 105 is earlier and arguably more important. JLA should by rights go now, but, looking at the list I picked 105 instead. And then theres that horrible 247 still hanging around! foreheadslap.gif

dont worry, though, theyll have to rip BB28 out of my dead hands!!

JLA 1 has an iconic cover, too, which doesn't hurt. I think B&B 28 will make it a very long way - you could call it an indirect precursor to the entire Marvel Universe.

I'm surprised, too, at the Legion hate around here - Adventure 247 will be here a long time if I have anything to say about it as it launched the entire 30th Century DC Universe. Tons of characters and concepts, although I'm a bit biased as I loved the Legion growing up. Still do.

I would rank Flash 123 ahead of several books still on this list - but Shadow explained that he got the top 20 list from Overstreet, so I will balk no further at its exclusion. smile.gif

I think B&B 28 will make it a very long way - you could call it an indirect precursor to the entire Marvel Universe.

Marvel obviously had the most important SA books, as they produced NEW creations that have proved to be extremely popular, instead of just recycling GA characters.

That's why I've never thought Showcase 4 was any big deal, as DC had kept producing Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, and they just rehashed the old GA Flash concept.

But B&B 28 introduced us to a brand new team, the Justice League, and it was probably the only important new idea DC had in the SA. I have always thought that book was far more important than Showcase 4, as did Marty and Stan, who used its high sales as the impetus to the FF.

I think B&B 28 will make it a very long way - you could call it an indirect precursor to the entire Marvel Universe.

Marvel obviously had the most important SA books, as they produced NEW creations that have proved to be extremely popular, instead of just recycling GA characters.

By that logic, you should be championing Adventure 247 instead of leading the campaign against it. wink.gif I would argue that the 30th Century DCU was an 'important new idea' as was Earth-2.

That's why I've never thought Showcase 4 was any big deal, as DC had kept producing Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman, and they just rehashed the old GA Flash concept.

I do see your point here, but I think the argument for Showcase 4 is that before 1956, the Big 3 you mention were isolated outposts resisting the anti-superhero tide. After Showcase 4, superheroes roared back and overtook the landscape. Not that this single book was solely responsible for that, but it was the first. It's also probably the first book you can say was unambiguously Silver Age (not that I want to reignite that debate here!).

Thankfully the ant is gone. Annoying little pest.

Next to go......Although Flash 105 and JLA 1 are tempting as they are minor, I have to go with FF 5. First Dr. Doom?? So what? He's a villain that has had a couple failed attempts at his own book (in Amazing Adventures and SVTU). The marvel universe can sometimes go an entire year without him ever appearing anywhere. If we have to have a villain on the list, I think ASM 14 would have been a better choice.

FF 5....See ya!!

Thankfully the ant is gone. Annoying little pest.

Next to go......Although Flash 105 and JLA 1 are tempting as they are minor, I have to go with FF 5. First Dr. Doom?? So what? He's a villain that has had a couple failed attempts at his own book (in Amazing Adventures and SVTU). The marvel universe can sometimes go an entire year without him ever appearing anywhere. If we have to have a villain on the list, I think ASM 14 would have been a better choice.

FF 5....See ya!!

i went the same way- a wasted vote to be sure but doc doom- who cares?

hey, Shadow. If you do this again, how about we all PM out lists BEFORE it begins to compare with later against the aggregate voting....? Might be fun to see whos closest to the norm, like we all did with teh best covers contest a while back.

My first time playing.

Tough call between FF5 and Adv 247 for me.

If you want a real Legion key, look for their 364th appearance as documented in the Guide. But, a 2 bit villain who had an appearance in the last movie I saw...goodbye Doom.

It's also probably the first book you can say was unambiguously Silver Age (not that I want to reignite that debate here!).

I'm far more a fan of Martian Manhunter (Detective 225) as the first Silver Age DC, but I guess at the time, dealers simply didn't have the back issue supply. grin.gif

Doctor Doom is the single most important villain introduced in the Silver Age, and for that reason alone, FF5 trumps JLA 1, Spidey 1, Flash 105

After Showcase 4, superheroes roared back and overtook the landscape. Not that this single book was solely responsible for that, but it was the first.

It was just coincidence that Flash was first (and I still say Detective 225/Martian Manhunter is the first new SA DC concept), as it wasn't like the SA Flash turned out to be a genre-changing, best-selling concept like Spider-man or the FF. It could have been anyone from Green Lantern to Atom in Showcase 4, as the time was just right for a superhero revival.

Once the DC heroes got going again, it was Superman and Batman leading the charge at DC, and not Flash.

To be honest, I don't really care about the results of this contest. What's more interesting to me is seeing the reasoning behind people's voting.

Clearly there is what I call the teeny-bopper contingent who are voting purely on Marvel/DC lines, and thereby show their complete lack of understanding or appreciation of comic history (similar to pre-adolescent girls who really thought [fill in the name of teen-age heartthrob] was the greatest singer in history). There is no more point debating with them than debating with my 7-year old daughter that the Beatles are musically more significant than Hilary Duff.

Hey Tim,

I'm only playing the Marvel vs DC schtick until we get down to the last 7 or 8 books on the list...

...since by then all those poopie DCs will be gone! yay.gifheadbang.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif j/k flowerred.gif

I am still disappointed by all of the legion haters here. This book and the concepts it created deserve better.

It is the first Silver Age Team Book

It is the First Teenage Team book

It is the First book dealing with the future of the Universe

This is a way more important book that the first appearance of a man in a tin can or a rehashed norse g-d.