• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are You Kidding Me...

154 posts in this topic

Another potential theory is that this guy might have a pile HG copies, and thus concocted a fake sale on Pedigree, and is trying to artificially raise the GPA on this book.

It really wouldn't be hard to do, get your hands on a few HG copies, list them for crazy prices on EBay, Pedigree, etc., have a friend buy them, eat the 10% and watch the GPA skyrocket.

Then list some copies for $1500 each and watch the speculators fight for them. 27_laughing.gif

Yeah could be the situation. I watched right around movie hype time for SM-3, someone listed and sold a copy of ASM252-CGC-9.8 SS Stan Lee on ebay then the same book went on Pedigree at 1200 dollars a week later and has been sitting there ever since. Why would someone buy a book for 1200 and say 20 or so S&H to sell it on a consignment site for 1200 and lose 120 on that? These types of raising the point of sale per certain comics is due in part to someone having an abundance of them sitting in a box.

Another potential theory is that this guy might have a pile HG copies, and thus concocted a fake sale on Pedigree, and is trying to artificially raise the GPA on this book.

It really wouldn't be hard to do, get your hands on a few HG copies, list them for crazy prices on EBay, Pedigree, etc., have a friend buy them, eat the 10% and watch the GPA skyrocket.

Then list some copies for $1500 each and watch the speculators fight for them. 27_laughing.gif

Not to give it away or nothing, but if this book sells rather quickly on the Link, then something shady is definitely going on.

I think I'm convinced that the $2500 sale never took place, considering the book is now being offered @ $1200.

Definitely, and someone notify GPA to not include it in their figures... assuming Doug even submits it.

On comiclink now for $1300. I seem to remember it being listed a couple days ago at $2500 with that tiny scan. My question is in the description what the heck does this mean ? This is Schmell's personal copy and he had it up at $2500 bucks on his own website ?

This came from a private collector's collection (I can't say who, but, this is the collector who owns such issues as ASM #1 9.6, FF #1 9.6, etc.)

i think goal now is to confuse the living hell out of the market and completely obfuscate the GPA stats for this freaking book.

thank God i don't collect ASM

My what a tangled web we have, books sells for 2500 confused.gif relisted now for 1800 confused.gifconfused.gif also listed cheaper on Comiclink confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

WTF is going on yeahok.gif

Looks like the buyer who spent $2500 emailed me to let me know the situation. According to him the book was purchased for the original amount of 2500. It was bought for a fellow high grade Spidey collector who did not want it after all, so he is back selling it a loss trying to recoup most of his money.

Looks like the buyer who spent $2500 emailed me to let me know the situation. According to him the book was purchased for the original amount of 2500. It was bought for a fellow high grade Spidey collector who did not want it after all, so he is back selling it a loss trying to recoup most of his money.

confused.gif

You want me to simplify it for you crazy.gif

1 High grade Spidey collector needs the 114 to complete his run of HG Spideys from 100-200

2 Person acting as his agent buys the book from Pedigree for $2500

3 The Spidey collector decides its too much money so does not want the book at that price.

4 Buyer is stuck with a $2600 tab

5 Buyer relists it Pedigree to ry and recoup most of his losses

Dont know who he is so how can I believe someone I dont know gossip.gif

His email

"Hello Nik,

I am not a member of the CGC message boards, but, I have decided to let you know what the situation is with the #114 to clear up the BIG MESS!!! I am the buyer of that book. Here's the story;

I have a fellow collector friend who was only missing #114 from his entire run of ASM's #100 - #200. He is retiring soon and he has been desperately searching for an ultra-high grade copy (this is one of his favorite covers). At the time, he told me to find him a copy. I couldn't. He offered up to $2500 if I could find him a superb copy!!

I contacted Doug Schmell and Doug obtained this book from some investment private collector. My EX friend/collector stiffed me on this book!!!! I shelled out the money to Doug and now I am desperately trying to recover some of the funds. It was a legitimate sale and I am now stuck with a $2600 mastercard bill for a book that I don't even need.

I just figured I'd let you know the real story so you guys on the CGC chat know what has happened. Neither Doug nor I, am trying to raise the GPA on this book or anything like that. It's just a big mess and I am definitely going to burn for a lot of $$$ which I am quite upset about.

Take care and please let people know this book is for sale on comiclink (and Doug has also relisted it on his site to help me out).

"