• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great, another Marvel "death"...

23 posts in this topic

MJ? BLACK CAT? AUNT MAY? RIP???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite somewhat vague wording, Diamond Comics Distributors is reporting in their Splash Page section in the newest edition of Previews that someone close to Peter Parker is headed six feet under during One More Day, "Gwen Stacy style".

Reads Diamond’s piece:

“HEADED FOR THE CHOPPING BLOCK?

“Black Cat, Mary Jane, and Aunt May?

“Is it one of these ladies that take a dirt nap in the upcoming storyline ‘One More Day’? You heard it here, folks. A re-assuring voice and shoulder-to-lean-on is going to be taken out permanent-style in this four-issue storyline, which kicks off in Amazing Spider-Man #544 and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24. This body check is whipped up by war horses J. Michael Straczynski and Joe Quesada. Pain is promised. No tissues will be issued!

“Who next gets thrown under the bus like the long-lost Gwen Stacy? Details are hard to come by, but what we do know is that there ain’t much joy in Mudville. Spidey’s gonna get left out in the rain again, and oh, how the tears will flow.”

Just to review the syntax for clarity, despite mentioning Black Cat, Mary Jane, and Aunt May, these characters are only referenced in an open question manner. The only definitive claim made by Diamond is a “re-assuring voice and shoulder-to-lean-on is going to be taken out permanent-style”, seemingly implying it isn’t necessarily one of those characters

For their part, Marvel responded, “no comment” when asked by Newsarama for clarification of this story.

sleeping.gif

“Is it one of these ladies that take a dirt nap in the upcoming storyline ‘One More Day’? You heard it here, folks. A re-assuring voice and shoulder-to-lean-on is going to be taken out permanent-style in this four-issue storyline, which kicks off in Amazing Spider-Man #544 and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #24. This body check is whipped up by war horses J. Michael Straczynski and Joe Quesada. Pain is promised. No tissues will be issued!

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Apparently, somebody needs a dictionary.

At my 5th grade city spelling bee...I lost on that word...never been the same...(no kidding on the word...still can't spell it correctly!)

At my 5th grade city spelling bee...I lost on that word...never been the same...(no kidding on the word...still can't spell it correctly!)

You suck headbang.gif

Good lord, I hope it's not Black Cat. Probably one of the most meaningless deaths they could hope to make an "event" out of.

Kevin Smith had it right. Don't kill someone unless it's going to mean something and is permanent. The reader has to care and killing a character does nothing but limited two characters (rather than advance them).

Pat

It'll be Flash, Betty or Robbie. They are switching back to his red and blues. Death of those three mentioned would only make his character darker. I'm just trying to figure out who Marvel is trying to appeal to? The older crowd things this type of stuff is dumb. Yet all this death etc might make parents wonder if its right for their kids constantly read. I miss the fun yet serious light-hearted days.

It'll be Flash, Betty or Robbie. They are switching back to his red and blues. Death of those three mentioned would only make his character darker. I'm just trying to figure out who Marvel is trying to appeal to? The older crowd things this type of stuff is dumb. Yet all this death etc might make parents wonder if its right for their kids constantly read. I miss the fun yet serious light-hearted days.

Oh no, please don't say beloved Aunt May will die at the spry young age of 106... again.

They seem to be trying to make Spider-man into Batman. He's oh so gritty, out for revenge, wanting to inflict pain, with lots of standing in the rain looking grim. EWWW, scary smirk.gif

I am waiting for the splash pages in ASM, which are mandatory in every other Batman story, of Spidey crashing through skylights and plate glass windows.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll kill Spider-Man. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Nah, they have to wait a few years for the "event" of Cap's death to wash off first before they make another big death "event" (in which case, we'll find out that the Spidey who died was a Skrull, a clone, or a Skrull clone - depending on who's EIC at Marvel at the time).

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll kill Spider-Man. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Nah, they have to wait a few years for the "event" of Cap's death to wash off first before they make another big death "event" (in which case, we'll find out that the Spidey who died was a Skrull, a clone, or a Skrull clone - depending on who's EIC at Marvel at the time).

You got something there this spiderman is a skrull and the real spiderman is Ben Reilly. 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif MJ being a skrull if too FF remamber when Alicia married Johnny and turned out to be a skrull.

let's think about what "one more day" is going to do to Spider-Man, as it was said by Quesada. I remember reading in an interview on Newsarama.com, where he stated that it would settle the Peter Parker and MJ question.

In my opinion, the fact that they're even talking a "question" at all means that they're going to end the relationship. I think a character who, when Quesada mentions is supposed to be an "every-man", our typical every-man isn't married to a super model.

that being said, one more day will probably bring an end to Spidey's and MJ's relationship.

Let's look at Aunt May, and keep in mind that one of the reasons Marvel eliminates his relationship is to make him akin to the "every-man".

What do we feel that today's every-man character must go through in order to further mature. Uncle Ben's loss was apart of Spider-Man's origin. With Aunt May in the condition that she's in, it shouldn't be surprising to see Aunt May finally pass away. It would bring Spider-Man to the kind of man that will be totally on his own.

Who hasn't felt a period in their life when all they could rely on was themselves? When there was no one they felt they could turn to?

Spider-Man will go through that story in One More Day.

Furthermore, on a previous interview from ign.com with Axel Alonso, he had this to say in regards to Spider-Man's relatability:

IGN Comics: Let's talk about the Peter/MJ marriage for a second. The big issue is whether or not it makes Spider-Man a relatable character - does that take anything away from him? Do kids see him as being too old because he's married? However it sounds like you guys all started reading pretty much when he either was married or on that path, so do you view it as a problem? Both from a fan's perspective and editorially, is it limiting?

Alonso: I do view it as a problem. It's not an insurmountable problem, it just forces creators to work within certain parameters. Having a married Peter is more relatable if you're married. There are few 13 year olds that are married. At the end of the day you can relate if you know what it's like to be in a long and committed relationship and what it's like to go through those ups and downs. The thing about being married is you can't leave through that back door, you have to leave front door. It's not the same thing as breaking up with a girlfriend, no matter how deep that love might be.

So yeah, I think it definitely creates creative parameters for the writers writing Spider-Man. I think that it ages him in a way for teens. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it definitely makes it different than writing and reading a Spider-Man where he's flying solo. He'd be able to date MJ and break up with her, and no one would bat an eye. I actually grew up reading Spider-Man before he was married and gave up Spider-Man before he was married. My Spider-Man youth was with him as a bachelor.

(http://comics.ign.com/articles/784/784133p2.html)

And another interesting note:

IGN Comics: Do you see a future where Spider-Man is willing to kill?

Alonso: I don't want to give spoilers here… that's a loaded question. In fact I'm looking at Jim McCann across the table here and he's as white as a ghost.

(laughter)

I don't know if that's a question we should answer. In answering that question, we're saying a lot about where we're prepared to go with this character. I'd say that acts are done in context. Ultimately what we're looking to do is have Peter involved in stories that are complicated where he's left with stuff on his conscience. At the end of the day I'd prefer not to answer the question, but leave readers with the understanding that, look, things have to be analyzed in context.

Personally, I'm curious to see how the Amazing Spider-Man 3 times a month is goig to work out.

Aunt May has been at deaths door since I first started reading comics in the '60s. She's had more strokes than a golfer and is most certainly a centenarian by anyones timeline. I don't like to see major characters killed off just for the shock value, but come on, this is one death that's long overdue.

Do it tastefully... make it mean something... but for gods sake this woman has to die before I do!

Rant over!!!!!

that being said, one more day will probably bring an end to Spidey's and MJ's relationship.

and then won't all the drama over the Hughes MJ statue look silly.

who's gonna want a statue of the ex? or maybe even the dead ex?

Do kids see him as being too old because he's married?

Newsflash: Kids don't buy comics anymore, and I think Marvel and Alonso know this, and are simply using it as an excuse to kill off MJ.