• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk #1 in 9.4

33 posts in this topic

There definitely has only been 1 9.4 Hulk #1 (Brulato's copy) for a long time. This is big news, even if it's a press and resub job! I hadn't heard anything in the grapevine about this new copy.

all the 9.2s are still there, so it isnt an upgrade, unless it was sans label

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that there are still 3 9.2s in the Census. As we've seen, sometimes a resubbed book disappears from the Census, and sometimes it doesn't. If this genuinely is a new 9.4 copy, I'd love to hear more about it. I remember Tom Hanlin saying he knew a guy with an absolute killer copy that hadn't been slabbed yet.

--- or maybe a new 9.2 showed up too.

27_laughing.gif We're all so paranoid now!

Well it's worth arguing at this junction that some of those 9.2's look iffy in the grading department.

The Northland 9.2 looks a like a weak 9.0 in my opinion. And the the guy thats hanging out for $85k or what ever his BIN is is dreaming. As there's 9.0's, and even 8.5's that overall present better. Definite case of the ped bump.

And any new 9.4 would come under some heavy scrutiny by all.

So I hope CGC have played the right card here. As this is one book where if the grading is suspect, people (including myself) will take serious umbridge. Particularly if the submittor is revealed to be a possible 'related party' to CGC.

I love it. Conspiracy theories about a book that may never even come to market. makepoint.gif And I doubt we'll ever know who submitted the book. Even if it goes to market, it will likely go to Heritage or CL, which last I checked do a LOT of consignment business. Wouldn't be surprised if it came from the Janowicz collection that Heritage has been selling lately. There have been some stunning books coming from that collection. Unless they already had the Hulk 1 from that collection up for auction. confused-smiley-013.gif

Wouldn't be surprised if it came from the Janowicz collection that Heritage has been selling lately. There have been some stunning books coming from that collection. Unless they already had the Hulk 1 from that collection up for auction. confused-smiley-013.gif

Have any major keys from the Janowicz collection been put up yet?

Wouldn't be surprised if it came from the Janowicz collection that Heritage has been selling lately. There have been some stunning books coming from that collection. Unless they already had the Hulk 1 from that collection up for auction. confused-smiley-013.gif

where can I read about this collection? Or can one of you gents, and Tim too poke2.gif, shed some light on this collection.

Arex

where can I read about this collection? Or can one of you gents, and Tim too poke2.gif, shed some light on this collection.

Arex

What I know about the Janowicz collection is from the writeup in the Heritage May Signature auction. Joe Janowicz started buying books in the fifties, and bought back issues of Golden Age books as well, but many were apparently left behind when the family moved. He started buying again in the sixites. Auctioned books include ASM1, which graded at 9.0 and sold for $31K, a 5.5 copy of AF15, a 7.5 copy of DD1, an 8.0 copy of GL1, a 5.5 copy of IH1, and 7.0 copies of Showcase 22-24. Many of the other Spideys from this collection were ultra high grade and went for astronomical (insane?) record prices.

The collection, therefore, doesn't appear to be of the uniform high grade needed to garner pedigree status. With that said, the color preservation and registration on these books is great, and the early Bronze books are as nice as I've ever seen. Here are two sweet examples:

FF29slab.jpg

AA8.jpg

Arex

What I know about the Janowicz collection is from the writeup in the Heritage May Signature auction. Joe Janowicz started buying books in the fifties, and bought back issues of Golden Age books as well, but many were apparently left behind when the family moved. He started buying again in the sixites. Auctioned books include ASM1, which graded at 9.0 and sold for $31K, a 5.5 copy of AF15, a 7.5 copy of DD1, an 8.0 copy of GL1, a 5.5 copy of IH1, and 7.0 copies of Showcase 22-24. Many of the other Spideys from this collection were ultra high grade and went for astronomical (insane?) record prices.

The collection, therefore, doesn't appear to be of the uniform high grade needed to garner pedigree status. With that said, the color preservation and registration on these books is great, and the early Bronze books are as nice as I've ever seen. Here are two sweet examples:

FF29slab.jpg

AA8.jpgThanks Bob! Makes me want to keep my eye open for some of those books. Do you know if they came with a COA?

The collection, therefore, doesn't appear to be of the uniform high grade needed to garner pedigree status. With that said, the color preservation and registration on these books is great, and the early Bronze books are as nice as I've ever seen.

We also know from the Heritage write-up that Joe and his son are partial to muscle t-shirts. foreheadslap.gif

On a serious note, I've noticed the uniformly high PQ on his books. Lots and lots of slabs with the "white" page notation. The level of preservation seems to be uniformly high as well, although I've heard some complaints that CGC was a bit generous with some of the structural grades.

wasnt there only one copy in 9.4 and three in 9.2?

well, I glanced at the census and now there are TWO.

who's remembers whats what on this?

thanx

I just looked at the census and there's only one 9.4. If there were two before, it's back to one. Strange, huh?

link