• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long will GA books last?

11 posts in this topic

I was thinking about the longevity of our hobby. Wanted you guys' feedback on the aging potentials of the garden variety GA book: let's say midgrade, average paper, maybe some resto, etc., but properly stored nowadays, for the last few years. How long before they turn to books nobody would want: brittle pages, falling apart, etc.? Are we talking millenia, centuries, 50 more years, 10 more years?

The way my GA books are stored, they'll last longer than me. Once I'm dead, I won't care and my wife will only be interested in their cash potential.

Im sur ethere are studies about the life of newsprint under various storage conditions., From what I remember, 150-250 years ought to be possible for the "pretty good" preservation techniques. Longer and shorter resoectively for Museum archiving and damp basement conditions.

Some are already brittle, while others, newpapers, pulps and early GA comics are as good as new after 70-150 years

Im sur ethere are studies about the life of newsprint under various storage conditions., From what I remember, 150-250 years ought to be possible for the "pretty good" preservation techniques. Longer and shorter resoectively for Museum archiving and damp basement conditions.

Some are already brittle, while others, newpapers, pulps and early GA comics are as good as new after 70-150 years

That seems about right. By then if vintage comics are still a collectable, I'm sure that paper restoration techniques would be more advanced and more widely accepted by the collecting community.

I have a few newspapers from 1800 that seem to be holding up just fine. Under proper storage conditions, I don't know why comics wouldn't last a very long time.

If my understanding is correct, newspapers from 1800 were printed on a better quality paper than the cheap newsprint today's papers use, so if that indeed is the case, there's no comparison.

I was thinking about the longevity of our hobby. Wanted you guys' feedback on the aging potentials of the garden variety GA book: let's say midgrade, average paper, maybe some resto, etc., but properly stored nowadays, for the last few years. How long before they turn to books nobody would want: brittle pages, falling apart, etc.? Are we talking millenia, centuries, 50 more years, 10 more years?

Since I just got into GA books I sure as hell hope they last me a lifetime. Boy would that suck if they didn't.

Seeing as I have 2 small girls and they have no interest in comics (now anyway) nor do I see them becoming the next Blair Butler of G4 i'm guessing that if they last me another 40 years i'll end up in my 70's wondering what the hell to do with them and probably in a spit of alzheimers decide that these weird pieces of paper are stalking me and need to be put into the trash immediately.

I have a few newspapers from 1800 that seem to be holding up just fine. Under proper storage conditions, I don't know why comics wouldn't last a very long time.

If my understanding is correct, newspapers from 1800 were printed on a better quality paper than the cheap newsprint today's papers use, so if that indeed is the case, there's no comparison.

True, newspapers prior to the mid 19th century were made of cotton rag fiber, not newsprint.

And yet, under proper storage conditions, I still believe comics will hold up for a very long time. Excessive moisture causes the production of acids that weaken the paper. Excessive heat or dryness contributes to brittleness. But, find the happy medium between the two, and there's no reason to think your comics will turn to dust.